Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2017, 08:25 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,196,880 times

Advertisements

apparently in some markets, the number to the left of the decimal is full baths, the number to the right is half bath/powder room. So 5.1 baths is 5 full baths and 1 half bath.

http://www.trulia.com/voices/Home_Bu...t_mean_-534538
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 08:30 AM

20,025 posts, read 20,835,571 times
You would think that for empty nesters, it would be far cheaper to put up guests in a hotel for a few days a year compared to the cost of buying and maintaining a 3000 square foot house.

The chick on flip or flop has a constant "who farted?" look on her face.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:35 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
On an aside note:

My brother and SIL are visiting from the midwest. You know that no one really realizes just how big Texas is. We live two hours from Waco. They are determined for us all to drive to see Chip and Joanna's Magnolia Market. I mean, I'm fine with that because they're guests and it would be a shame for them to get this close and yet not go there if that's their thing. But I told them, "OK, for starters - it's not particularly close, just so you know. And another thing - everything there is white chalk paint, aluminum, or clear glass. Lots of cutesy signs though if you want to hang words on your wall. And big clocks. Oh, and T-shirts, mugs, and baseball caps."

We actually had a hard time finding much to buy! We ended up with a rain gauge, a flower pot, and two candles. Now, those candles were expensive as heck ($26 each) and have the wick that sort of makes the crackling sound (that's cool) but when you light them they give off NO scent to speak of, so that was a $52 disappointment.

Anyway, the cupcakes from the bakery are good. And it's a pretty cool compound - some food trucks, an interesting outdoor area for families, especially with kids, and an overall positive vibe. Worth a two hour drive? Meh. Not to us, but we're hosting so there you have it! It will be fun to spend the day with our guests and that's what matters most to me.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:42 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
On an aside note:

My brother and SIL are visiting from the midwest. You know that no one really realizes just how big Texas is. We live two hours from Waco. They are determined for us all to drive to see Chip and Joanna's Magnolia Market. I mean, I'm fine with that because they're guests and it would be a shame for them to get this close and yet not go there if that's their thing. But I told them, "OK, for starters - it's not particularly close, just so you know. And another thing - everything there is white chalk paint, aluminum, or clear glass. Lots of cutesy signs though if you want to hang words on your wall. And big clocks. Oh, and T-shirts, mugs, and baseball caps."

We actually had a hard time finding much to buy! We ended up with a rain gauge, a flower pot, and two candles. Now, those candles were expensive as heck ($26 each) and have the wick that sort of makes the crackling sound (that's cool) but when you light them they give off NO scent to speak of, so that was a $52 disappointment.

Anyway, the cupcakes from the bakery are good. And it's a pretty cool compound - some food trucks, an interesting outdoor area for families, especially with kids, and an overall positive vibe. Worth a two hour drive? Meh. Not to us, but we're hosting so there you have it! It will be fun to spend the day with our guests and that's what matters most to me.

Ha…my SIL called one year and said "we are in Memphis, come meet us for a drink" Um…we are 8 hours away, lol. Same thing used to happen in NY. Everyone thinks the city

Hubby and I rved through Waco last November. He wanted to check out Magnolia but I heard some bad reviews and frankly I had no interest. Since we both didn't like Waco we drove on, lol. I liked the gates in Texas. Lots of wrought iron and metal work there.

Enjoy your guests and day trip.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:12 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Oh, I'd never live in Waco.

My husband and I just like little day trips so Waco was one of them. Heck, why not? While we don't care to decorate like they do, we really do think Chip and Joanna Gaines have had a greatly positive influence on the city of Waco, which used to be a TOTAL dump other than the Baylor University area. Now at least the downtown has been revived with the Magnolia Market and the positive publicity of their show.

Anyway, we'll go along with my brother and SIL because they want to do it and they are from very rural Ohio so even Waco will look quaint to them!

We live in the Tyler area of northeast Texas and it is MUCH my preference over the Waco area. I like the hills, creeks, lakes and hardwood trees in this area. We actually have a fall!

My second choice in Texas would be the Hill Country outside of Austin and San Antonio. However, there are water supply issues, as well as a lot of flooding and also wildfires. It's a riskier place to live but it is BEAUTIFUL.

I also really like the area west of Fort Worth - as well as Fort Worth in general.

North of Houston is pretty cool if you can stand the humidity and the occasional hurricane - LOL.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:49 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,314,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh, I'd never live in Waco.

My husband and I just like little day trips so Waco was one of them. Heck, why not? While we don't care to decorate like they do, we really do think Chip and Joanna Gaines have had a greatly positive influence on the city of Waco, which used to be a TOTAL dump other than the Baylor University area. Now at least the downtown has been revived with the Magnolia Market and the positive publicity of their show.

Anyway, we'll go along with my brother and SIL because they want to do it and they are from very rural Ohio so even Waco will look quaint to them!

I just checked out Magnolia Markets website... I can see why you'd have difficulty trying to find something to buy.

What I really wanted to see was if they were using the grain silo's. I only watched a few of their episodes but the purchase of the grain silos was one of them. Do they use them for anything?

Did you know for a mere $695-$995.00 per night you can rent their Magnolia vacation rental house? And..it's booked solid for well over a year.
Chip and Joanna must be making money hand over fist.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:58 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,304,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
One thing I find hilarious is when a single person decides they need a five-bedroom house. For “guests.” Wow that's a lot of guests they're having all at once.

Also, on a similar note: I saw a show where the family had to have a 4 bedroom house with 5 bathrooms. They found them a house that actually had 5.1 bathrooms.

5.1 bathrooms?????? I was hoping they would show the 0.1 bathroom (really wondering what exactly that would be) but alas the show skipped that feature.

Also, am I the only person who thinks 5 bathrooms in a one story house is a bit much? What, is the cook in that family so bad that you can count on at least 5 people getting diarrhea at the same time?

Too flippin' funny. I know 3/4 bath is one with a toilet, sink & shower instead of a shower/tub combo and naturally a half bath is just a toilet & a sink so a .01 bath has to be either just a sink or a toilet? I wonder where that would go?

I used to be on the HGTV boards for House Hunters on IMDB until they decided to do away with the boards. It was too damn funny. People on the show complaining that neighbors could see in the backyard of the home they were looking to buy even though it had a fence because the neighbors had a two story house. What are they planning on doing back there - sacrificing baby goats? Mowing in the nude? Like neighbors have nothing better to do?

Old 03-13-2017, 12:02 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,196,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Too flippin' funny. I know 3/4 bath is one with a toilet, sink & shower instead of a shower/tub combo and naturally a half bath is just a toilet & a sink so a .01 bath has to be either just a sink or a toilet? I wonder where that would go?
Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
apparently in some markets, the number to the left of the decimal is full baths, the number to the right is half bath/powder room. So 5.1 baths is 5 full baths and 1 half bath.

http://www.trulia.com/voices/Home_Bu...t_mean_-534538

Old 03-13-2017, 12:59 PM

15,219 posts, read 10,304,488 times
"apparently in some markets, the number to the left of the decimal is full baths, the number to the right is half bath/powder room. So 5.1 baths is 5 full baths and 1 half bath".

That's a new one for me - I learn something every day on C-D.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:14 PM

531 posts, read 452,489 times
But there is also a "quarter bath", which is a toilet only, with or without a sink arrangement on top (draining into the toilet tank saves water) or with a corner sink crammed in so you put your feet under it when sitting on the throne. People used to make these out of closets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating