Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 11:39 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,336,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
My brother in-law had the same deal with a mirror. (Apply your liquid nails or glue to the back of the board but make sure to leave an inch or so at the top of the board so you won’t see the glue reflected in the mirror) . ..

Check this link out, scroll to bottom, it give detail and pictures ! ...

How to frame out that builder basic bathroom mirror (for $20 or less!)

Love this!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 11:42 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,759,477 times
Try calling some churches. I know someone at a catholic church that does stained glass projects with kids, and they love donations of regular glass as well as mirror.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:52 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Do you have kids or grandkids? If so put it in the basement or the room where they will do stuff. It will be important for dance, karate, yoga, prom, and Halloween when they have friends over for a haunted basement party. turn it on its side so ti is a full length view.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:22 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,196,880 times
This is for the house you are selling, right? Why exactly does this realtor have such control over you that they are getting you to spend a ridiculous amount of money doing unnecessary upgrades. And perhaps in this case, if you are replacing a double vanity with two small vanities, possibly even reducing the value/marketability.

Double sinks with more counter space is better to the majority of potential buyers. Do that rather than putting in two small vanities, and frame out the existing mirror for a quick update and move on.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:05 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,589,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Love this!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
Very welcome, my sister looks great it added a much needed finishing touch!

Old 03-17-2017, 07:23 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,113,205 times
KBuilder, you've certainly given me some food for thought lately. We have our reasons for wanting to do this, but I appreciate your alternate suggestions.

As long as we're on this topic, Could I get your thoughts on restoring or maybe repainting cultured marble? We have another vanity that we're keeping, but the sink area has become stained and might be a little worn after 20+ years of daily scrubbing. If there's a way to paint it or otherwise make it look new, that would be great!

As for the mirror, we managed to get it down in one piece, but boy was that a tricky operation. It could have easily shattered at a few points, so while I'm glad we did it this time I probably wouldn't try this again. We put it in the closet and will be framing it in the way people on this thread suggested.

I also liked the idea of taking it down to the basement, but we were afraid of trying to move it that far. We lucked out that the wall space in the closet is a funny angled wall that actually is well suited for something like this, otherwise I would have agreed with the poster who said it could make the closet seem smaller. It was sort of a dead space that didn't work with the shelving system, so now that space has a purpose. And a big mirror in the closet seems luxurious.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:38 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,297,213 times
I love, love, love the idea of framing the mirror in place. (I know you decided to take yours down to do it, OP). But I had something happen to my bathroom mirror that everyone needs to know about, especially if you're planning to frame it in place.

We had one of those big mirrors, builder-type with no frame, that was glued to the bathroom wall. One evening when getting ready to go to bed, I did my teeth, wiped off a few splashes on the mirror, and headed out of the room. Behind me came a HUGE crash as the mirror came off the wall and shattered into about a gazillion pieces all over the bathroom floor and anywhere else it could reach in our bedroom.

So since then I have been very wary of trusting that the cement the builder puts on will actually hold it in place.

Old 03-17-2017, 03:03 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
If your mirror was put up with glue, you might not be able to get it off in one piece anyway.

Are you planning to have glass people take it down?

Unless you have an immediate use for the glass, I'd get rid of it. Donating it to a local ReHab store sounds good to me.

Or, you could keep the glass and simply replace the vanities. When you get rid of the large mirrors in a bath, the bathroom becomes darker. You might also want to up the wattage of your lights in there.

Old 03-17-2017, 04:24 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
KBuilder, you've certainly given me some food for thought lately. We have our reasons for wanting to do this, but I appreciate your alternate suggestions.

As long as we're on this topic, Could I get your thoughts on restoring or maybe repainting cultured marble? We have another vanity that we're keeping, but the sink area has become stained and might be a little worn after 20+ years of daily scrubbing. If there's a way to paint it or otherwise make it look new, that would be great!

As for the mirror, we managed to get it down in one piece, but boy was that a tricky operation. It could have easily shattered at a few points, so while I'm glad we did it this time I probably wouldn't try this again. We put it in the closet and will be framing it in the way people on this thread suggested.

I also liked the idea of taking it down to the basement, but we were afraid of trying to move it that far. We lucked out that the wall space in the closet is a funny angled wall that actually is well suited for something like this, otherwise I would have agreed with the poster who said it could make the closet seem smaller. It was sort of a dead space that didn't work with the shelving system, so now that space has a purpose. And a big mirror in the closet seems luxurious.

There are paints made for that. Rustoleum has different products.

You can also check here:
Remodelaholic | Painted Bathroom Sink and Countertop Makeover
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating