Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 07:45 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,346,947 times

Advertisements

Some ideas for everyone's next redecorating itch: 7 Unexpected Ways to Decorate with Wallpaper Photos | Architectural Digest

I will add 3D wall paneling to consider for cabinets doors or framed "art" pieces. Fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 08:27 PM

531 posts, read 452,982 times
Amazing how ignorant designers are of history. Ceiling papers were common in Victorian houses of some pretension. So were the division of walls into dado, fill, and frieze, divided by the chair and picture rails, with three different papers used if the dado was not wainscoted or covered in Lincrusta.
By the way, ceiling papers have to be specially made, with lighter colors and small patterns, or be the same as the wall paper. One over-the-top mansion I saw in an old photo had an identical pattern in the carpet, the upholstery, the wall paper, and the ceiling paper.
As for "small spaces", I have a corridor bathroom with wainscoting, above which I have papered with a large damask pattern. It makes the room more interesting, but I wouldn't say larger-looking. In my opinion, large patterns require tall ceilings.
The paneled bedroom in the article linked to is just plain bad. Too small for that busy decoration. The inhabitants have to take turns getting into and out of bed. The wallpaper is too stark and graphic. The "paneling" makes no sense. It's just not VICTORIAN! Ugh.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:37 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,638,910 times
while it was fun to see the pictures, these ideas are nothing new.
maybe im aging myself, (probably)...but ive seen them all.

also, back in the 80's, I had mini blinds in my 2 kitchen windows and had wallpapered each slat and re strung.....so Im definetely familiar with wallpaper techniques and ideas.....I remember the paper as well, blue with cream pin dots....it really was pretty.........

I do like the ceiling papered, although Id never do it, because im sure that would NOT be fun to remove.....because at some point it would....

Old 04-14-2017, 09:04 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,346,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Ferris View Post
Amazing how ignorant designers are of history.
To which designers do you refer? The writer of this AD article didn't design the spaces photographed, and there is no mention of the designers' or the author's backgrounds in and knowledge of design history. So who, exactly, are you calling ignorant and what evidence led you to that conclusion? Reasonable people can agree or disagree with what the article says or how the designers pulled together these photographed spaces. Reasonable people, however, don't randomly accuse others of ignorance without some basis and specificity.

I encourage people to be thoughtful and mature in their comments. We already live in a world full of unkind and thoughtless words.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:41 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
What goes around comes around. I think there is a place for wallpaper, but very sparingly. I do love an over-the-top wallpaper in a powder room. It's a good place to let go and have fun.

Old 04-15-2017, 10:22 AM

531 posts, read 452,982 times
The "ignorance" I was complaining of is that of the article writer, who seems to think that a papered ceiling or putting different decoration above the chair rail is a new and interesting idea. I assume he's a designer of some kind.
I know it's easy to criticize, but a large part of the fun of these discussions is throwing out opinions and having them kicked around. If the customer liked that small bedroom, fine.

Old 04-15-2017, 04:52 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
Some ideas for everyone's next redecorating itch: 7 Unexpected Ways to Decorate with Wallpaper Photos | Architectural Digest

I will add 3D wall paneling to consider for cabinets doors or framed "art" pieces. Fun.
Pretty pics.

I think some of the objections to this inspiration type article are a little harsh. The designer/author might know the history of how wallpaper has been used, but many readers will not. This is not an in depth article; it was written to inspire.

I'll never wallpaper another surface, but for others who might, I think it might provide some inspiration.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:21 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
The funniest thing I can think to do with wallpaper is light it on fire and watch it burn. Had to remove too much of it in my life. I'll never put it in a house. Have done stencil in a couple of rooms though, which can give you a similar look and is easy to paint over.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:11 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post

Never ever EVER will I put wallpaper in my house.

EVER.

Did I say never??

Old 04-20-2017, 10:12 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
The funniest thing I can think to do with wallpaper is light it on fire and watch it burn. Had to remove too much of it in my life. I'll never put it in a house. Have done stencil in a couple of rooms though, which can give you a similar look and is easy to paint over.
Agreed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating