Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 08:17 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Ok, I'll tell you. You could most easily solve the problem by getting rid of them. You are a grown up, right?
And the catty comment of the month goes to.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 08:31 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
Just an idea, but have you thought about just some shelves in the corner instead of a full bookcase?

Something like a few of these.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Style-Selec...elving/1094715

Old 06-06-2017, 10:26 AM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Ok, I'll tell you. You could most easily solve the problem by getting rid of them. You are a grown up, right?
That was my thought.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
That was my thought.
What's wrong with an adult liking stuffed animals? Is that any different than adults having doll collections or beanie baby collections? FYI, I still have my stuffed animals...from 40 years ago. It's called sentimental ties.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:13 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
What's wrong with an adult liking stuffed animals? Is that any different than adults having doll collections or beanie baby collections? FYI, I still have my stuffed animals...from 40 years ago. It's called sentimental ties.

As I said in my previous post, I will NEVER outgrow stuffed animals. Most of my old ones from when I was a kid are in the attic. But, there are a few I keep on my dresser. They are old, dirty, coming apart at the seams, and VERY well loved.

And if anyone gave me a stuffed animal today, I would absolutely love it.

Cat

Old 06-06-2017, 01:08 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,053,778 times
How about a curio cabinet for your stuffies? They can be various sizes to fit different spaces, they have glass doors to hold down the dust and keep your kitties from nuzzling too much.
Something like this https://www.onewayfurniture.com/plk-20542.html

Old 06-06-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
As I said in my previous post, I will NEVER outgrow stuffed animals. Most of my old ones from when I was a kid are in the attic. But, there are a few I keep on my dresser. They are old, dirty, coming apart at the seams, and VERY well loved.

And if anyone gave me a stuffed animal today, I would absolutely love it.

Cat
My daughters gave me two stuffies for my birthday

Old 06-06-2017, 01:35 PM

492 posts, read 638,274 times
Net hanging baskets?

Old 06-06-2017, 07:10 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Oh I have some of mine too. But not a dang room full. I have a doll that I had when I was a kid. I have my pair of tap shoes. And ballet shoes. But I don't display all that stuff, and certainly not in my bedroom- that would be like trying to live in my childhood. It's just...odd.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:04 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
How about a curio cabinet for your stuffies? They can be various sizes to fit different spaces, they have glass doors to hold down the dust and keep your kitties from nuzzling too much.
Something like this https://www.onewayfurniture.com/plk-20542.html
We-ll, I have OODLES of stuffeds and that is quite an expensive way to go (to say nothing of conflicting with my three, half hexagon, curio cabinets already). Another thing is that stuffed animals, IMHO, don't display well in spaces that are constrictive to the volume they possess.

The things in my curios are the breakable type such as drawn glass unicorns, the misplaceable type such as Peanuts figurines, the displayable type such as snow globes, and things like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Just an idea, but have you thought about just some shelves in the corner instead of a full bookcase?

Something like a few of these.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Style-Selec...elving/1094715
It's possible but there are a few limitations.

First of all, we are talking OODLES. When the collection was in the apartments, they STUFFED the tops of 5 12X36 bookshelves, with many overflowing on the shelves down below, with even more overflowing onto the shelves in other rooms. Right now, there are several medium and large packing boxes and laundry bags of them waiting for their escape.

This is a collection that is both the product of spending $20/month on it from 1990 on till about 2009 and from much gift giving, be it direct to my emotions or just something of a hand me down (ie, a Univ of Arkansas Boar). Further, it is a collection of all sizes. Finally, I'd rather have a method that is not that invasive to my house, something that can be moved around to needs.

I'm pretty well convinced in using square shelves, so "no one" gets buried back in a corner, to display them.

Thanks all, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Oh I have some of mine too. But not a dang room full. I have a doll that I had when I was a kid. I have my pair of tap shoes. And ballet shoes. But I don't display all that stuff, and certainly not in my bedroom- that would be like trying to live in my childhood. It's just...odd.
Different ways of seeing things. First of all, keep in mind that I am an active dancer......and a belly dancer at that.

One of the things I would do at my Mom's house is decorate it with the small stuffed animals for the holidays. Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, 4th of July, Mother's Day (such as Kanga next to Hogan kangaroo), and so forth. At Easter, for example, among all those rabbits, there would be a (Mr.) Moose representative. On the curtain rods, on the shelves, Big Bunny at the breakfast table, on the furniture. I originally bought Bear for my place but on one of my visits, Mom kept Bear there. Having him there, sitting on the sofa, gave her a presence for an otherwise empty house. She would see his furry head from the back when she exited her bedroom. Mom and her friends would dress him up in a T shirt for this or that season, holiday. Mom and her house are gone now, but I still have my memories.

I have a Very Powerful Fantasy Life and that is one of my ways of keeping my stress down. Part of it involves my Wiccan "beliefs" where there are spirits in all my stuffed animals, all my figurines, there to defend and protect me should I need it. I just simply release them. However.......in my REM sleep, I do have such dreams but the will power needed for such is enormous and usually, I can't release more than one or two and then only for a few seconds.

"The Fae: this is what happens when you realize that growing up sucks!". Not quite that, but I indulge in that world as much as I can. Long story short, woman yes, but I still like to indulge in my dreams as a girl.

BUT......to each their own.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 06-07-2017 at 02:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating