Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 12:49 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,411,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post

We painted the walls and floor of our basement utility room with a very bright white. It doesn't look dingy at all. The white brightened up the space, and made it look like a lot more like a finished room, despite the pipes and water heater. Maybe it matters which color of white you choose? We chose a something with a name like "ultra bright white." You could maybe add a pastel tint, if you want some color. I could see a bright, but pale blue working well.

Whatever you do, don't choose grey or a dark color. IMO.
Do you have a lot of lighting in the basement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 07:33 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,116,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Do you have a lot of lighting in the basement?
This particular room has no windows, but it does have an overhead light, and two desk lamps. We also have a few small mirror tiles placed along one of the ducts. The mirror tiles were supposed to help add light, but don't really do that. We left them up because they're cute, even if they don't reflect much light. The overhead light and desk lamps seem to do a good job lighting up the room.

Our basement is divided into three rooms. The front area has windows, so sometimes I leave the door open and get extra light from the windows. Then we have two closed off areas, one that functions as movie theater, and the one that we're talking about here, which was originally walled off to hide the heater, water heater, pipes, etc. We needed space for a new laundry area, a workshop, and a desk for when I need to do work from home so we decided to brighten up the area.

The bright white paint and a colorful rug made a huge difference. Now it's a room I like to work in, even if there is a water heater just a few feet from my desk, LOL. I think I'd rather work next to the water heater than next to the great room with kids watching tv.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating