Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 08:20 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,460,127 times

Advertisements

I wonder.

I find some things to be absolutely outside of my taste. Like heavily patterned granite countertops and glass backsplash tiles. But I know that to many people, these are gorgeous.

Growing up I was surrounded by spare Scandinavian design. I hate this look. But it's the height of chic to many. In fact I recently saw an identical chair to one in our living room selling for thousands at auction.

So I ask...is there such a thing as abjectly bad taste? Or is this always a matter of preference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 08:23 PM

14,532 posts, read 12,163,865 times
If the owner likes it, is it really "bad" taste?

Old 07-21-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Sure? I have seen lots of choices people clearly went out of their way for that I thought were ill advised. And if someone is selling a house, they are opening the can of worms for a taste critique. But I wonder if there's something everyone agrees is "bad".

Old 07-21-2017, 08:30 PM

902 posts, read 864,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Sure? I have seen lots of choices people clearly went out of their way for that I thought were I'll advised. And if someone is selling a house, they are opening the can of worms for a taste critique. But I wonder if there's something everyone agrees is "bad".
Mannequins "walking" on the ceiling is something that alllllmost everyone can agree as being bad. Almost everyone.

I'm going to leave this right here. Enjoy.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
Mannequins "walking" on the ceiling is something that alllllmost everyone can agree as being bad. Almost everyone.
Yeah I saw that listing. Super creepy! Ok we have bad taste ground zero established.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:16 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,544,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
So I ask...is there such a thing as abjectly bad taste? Or is this always a matter of preference?
The latter.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:24 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,338,187 times
Bad taste is generally very popular just look at pinterests popular page : Doritos casseroles and many many other tacky things that seem cheap,nasty and vulgar to me.But that's just me.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:42 PM

14,532 posts, read 12,163,865 times
If you are trying to sell a house, then obviously there is an objective reason to make the place attractive to a buyer, whatever that might mean.

But if the place is not for sale, there really is no duty to decorate my home for anyone other than me. "Taste" only enters in to it if there's some desire to impress others with our choices.

How much of what goes in our house is supposed to be for us... function - because we need a place to sit down, and how much is intended to make it look "nice" to someone else?

Old 07-22-2017, 05:09 AM

13,059 posts, read 18,146,601 times
I am going to pick a fine line battle here. I would not use "bad taste" and I think the answer is then easier. I define bad taste as something someone does that given the situation was a poor choice. It would be pretty egregious in my mind.

I can however agree that some peoples homes abound with bad or poor design choices. I also will agree that as long as I don't have to live there, I am fine with it. I had a neighbor when I was in college, whose entire family looked like they stepped out of a high end fashion catalogue. They were perfection and they really didn't have a lot of money, but she had a "knack" for pulling things together perfectly. Now her home was another story. Nothing at all on most walls and if there was something it way, way out of scale to the small side. Her furniture arrangement was nothing short of bizarre and decorating style was less than a zero. BUT, she was happy.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:21 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,120,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Deserves a rep point, but CD says I have to spread around rep points more before I can rep you again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating