Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2018, 10:06 AM

12,778 posts, read 14,992,488 times

Advertisements

I live in an apt, so I can't do any permanent changes that involve drilling/making holes. I don't like having my front door closed all the time. I'd have a nice breeze if I could just leave it open, yet I don't want people being able to see in, of course, (or have bugs/flies fly in much, but this is the lesser of my worry).

Does anyone know of any screen door that can attach to the inside of the door frame, so I have a cool breeze? The closest thing I've found are at the link below, but that still doesn't solve the people-peeking-in-issue.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=1Z83PLE8AV0BP

Any ideas at all anyone? I already thought of leaving my door open a crack for some airflow, but for safety purposes, I don't like that idea, even during the day. TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 10:34 AM

14,492 posts, read 12,128,212 times
We've used the magnetic screens on our slider and they work pretty well for letting air through and mostly keeping bugs out.

Issues with them for use with a door.... When NOT leaving the door open, the screen is in the way. It's on a curtain rod that is spring loaded, maybe you just would take it down when not using it.

It's not secure if you don't want people looking in, and it's not secure if you won't feel safe with the door open.

If bugs are only a secondary concern, I think I'd get a chain lock that allows you to chain it but have the door ajar a bit for breeze... If your landlord will allow that? https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...hain+door+lock

Old 04-16-2018, 12:54 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,125,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I live in an apt, so I can't do any permanent changes that involve drilling/making holes. I don't like having my front door closed all the time. I'd have a nice breeze if I could just leave it open, yet I don't want people being able to see in, of course, (or have bugs/flies fly in much, but this is the lesser of my worry).

Does anyone know of any screen door that can attach to the inside of the door frame, so I have a cool breeze? The closest thing I've found are at the link below, but that still doesn't solve the people-peeking-in-issue.

Any ideas at all anyone? I already thought of leaving my door open a crack for some airflow, but for safety purposes, I don't like that idea, even during the day. TIA!

If you re-read what you wrote, if you don't feel comfortable leaving your door open even a crack, then what you are asking for is not going to do you any good either. Even a screen door fully mounted is little protection if someone wants to get inside. If they have a razor blade they simply cut the screen and are in. You will need to sacrifice something.

I have used the magic curtain and it served its' purpose well. I wanted to open the internal garage door into the house with a screen to see if I liked the airflow. I hung this curtain as another poster suggested on a spring rod and it allowed me to see if the circulating air was something I liked. I was so pleased, I bought a retractable screen door for the opening. The issue of privacy will need to be sacrificed with a screen door though.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:03 PM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post

I don't see how anything like you are suggesting would be at all safe. Buy a fan.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:40 AM

12,778 posts, read 14,992,488 times
Yep, not sacrificing my safety for that! Oh well, I wish there was a safe way because when I open my front door to enter/exit, there's such a nice breeze, which I don't get from the back sliding door.

Old 04-23-2018, 02:53 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
I don't think there is any screen that won't allow people to see inside, regardless of how it's affixed. And any sort of curtain even a sheer would still block most of the breeze.

The one thing that could possibly work a little is entirely dependent on the layout of your apartment. If for instance, the front door opens up mostly onto a hallway, but you could see the living area off to one side, you could put a standing screen to block the view of that, so that someone passing by could still see into your apartment but all they would see would be the hallway, maybe a view into the kitchen but many feet away. Not total privacy but a little bit.

But that still wouldn't really address much of the safety issue because only something like storm door could be locked, but could still hold a screen.

Is your door down on the first floor facing the street? Realistically speaking, how many people actually walk part your door in the course of a day?

Old 04-23-2018, 03:35 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,693,884 times
Can you open windows? There are locks where you can open your window and lock it in place. It can't be opened or closed except on the inside with a key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating