Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 03:21 PM

676 posts, read 721,815 times

Advertisements

Hi. I have a walk in closet in my master bedroom. There was just the wired shelves and rods for clothing and storage on all 3 sides. Well 2 sides have fell down. So I basically need to have the interior of the closet rebuilt. Putting more of the same kind of racks will ultimately end up the same way and fall from the weight of my stuff.

I live in a condo, and I noticed neighbors have very nice interior closets. So my question is should I have a custom closet built by a closet company or get a handy man. I’m sure the handy man would be cheaper. They advertise their ability to do any job.

I plan on getting a quote from this closet factory near me and then call the recommended handy man and get a price from him. I know the closet factory guarantees their work for life. The handyman doesn’t.

Any advice? Also what is a fair price to rebuild an averaged size walk in closet with just shelves and rods? I would like to know a ballpark figure so that I’m not taken for a ride.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 03:34 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,191,390 times
The big box home improvement stores sell closet systems that are better than those wire closet systems. Rather than custom made, unless you have the money to blow for custom made. Probably can get a handy man to install it.

Like these,

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Storage-...s/N-5yc1vZcd8v

Last edited by Izzie1213; 06-10-2018 at 04:40 PM..

Old 06-10-2018, 03:40 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble cake View Post
There was just the wired shelves and rods for clothing and storage on all 3 sides.
Well 2 sides have fell down. So I basically need to have the interior of the closet rebuilt.
Who put up what was there ...and how long ago was it done?

Quote:
Putting more of the same kind of racks will ultimately end up the same way
and fall from the weight of my stuff.
Not if they're put up correctly.

Quote:
I’m sure the handy man...
Any advice?
About $20-30 worth of lumber and hardware to REINSTALL the wire shelves.
Add some 1X's across the studs to make it easier to put anchors where needed.
Done in an afternoon. $100 for labor.

Old 06-10-2018, 03:54 PM

676 posts, read 721,815 times
The racks were there when I bought the condo.

Thanks for your replies.

Old 06-10-2018, 04:09 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,079,089 times
Wire racks that have the brace bars can fail when overloaded. I use these instead:

https://www.drafthalter.com/390400/w...ystems-photos/

Old 06-10-2018, 05:00 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
https://www.californiaclosets.com - somewhat expensive, but functional
https://www.containerstore.com/elfa/index.htm - less expensive, but functional
a LOCAL closet company - less expensive, functional and you can customize it to a gnat's eyeball
https://www.homedepot.com/collection...tion-in-walnut - less expensive, notthe best quality
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19219008/ - cheapest, not versatile

Wire shelves suck - based upon experience

Take your time and do a bunch of research. You can live with a broken closet for while.

Old 06-10-2018, 05:19 PM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble cake View Post
Hi. I have a walk in closet in my master bedroom. There was just the wired shelves and rods for clothing and storage on all 3 sides. Well 2 sides have fell down. So I basically need to have the interior of the closet rebuilt. Putting more of the same kind of racks will ultimately end up the same way and fall from the weight of my stuff.

I live in a condo, and I noticed neighbors have very nice interior closets. So my question is should I have a custom closet built by a closet company or get a handy man. I’m sure the handy man would be cheaper. They advertise their ability to do any job.

I plan on getting a quote from this closet factory near me and then call the recommended handy man and get a price from him. I know the closet factory guarantees their work for life. The handyman doesn’t.

Any advice? Also what is a fair price to rebuild an averaged size walk in closet with just shelves and rods? I would like to know a ballpark figure so that I’m not taken for a ride.

Thanks.
You can certainly put up wire shelving that WON'T collapse. You simply need to use a different type.

kab0906 posted a good example.

Old 06-10-2018, 05:54 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
If you're anything like my wife, a wire shelf ain't gonna get it. I swear she has every dress she's ever owned and then some. Her closet has a shelf and rod support every 16" screwed to studs. The key is the shelf support can't just be an L bracket. The rod and shelf makes a triangle and it's that other side that makes the triangle that gives it the strength to hold just about anything. The downside, each one of those rod and shelf supports are 10 bucks with taxes. So it's not a cheap date but I doubt it'll fall any time soon. I'd have a handy man take a look at it to design and put it up for you. The wire shelving is generally rated at 25lb per linear foot max. You've experienced why it never is used in any of our houses- it's cheap crap waiting to fail.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:22 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Most wire shelving failures are due to two things-

Poor installation- anchors not screwed to studs.

Over weight- this is particularly true when people tend to coordinate their wardrobe. Like shirts all together (light load) and suits or coats all together (heavy load). Not so much "total" load but the concentrated loads are the reasons for failures.

Generally, there are not enough knee braces either.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:26 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,911,627 times
I have installed ClosetMaid and Rubbermaid ShelfTrack and FastTrack systems in my clothes and pantry closets and have had no problems with them falling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating