Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 06:15 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Just my personal opinion, but I would never paint a ceiling anything other than some shade of white. Anything else is weird and even slightly claustrophobic.
Just my personal opinion but I think most white ceilings are boring and claustrophobic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 06:22 PM

We have several pale eggshell blue ceilings throughout our house and a slightly darker robin egg blue color on the porch ceilings. Our colors are basically golden tan walls, white trim and the pale blue ceilings. In the kitchen which is separate from the front of the house, we have a pale green ceiling - it's a moss green. Our house faces east/west and there aren't any windows on the north side of the house so this works really well.

In our master bath, we have a rich taupey gray color and the darkest color is on the ceiling (lighter on the walls, with white trim). And it looks fabulous. I agree with the other poster who said they were surprised at how great the darker color looks on their ceiling - I was shocked too.

But my favorite ceilings are the blue ones (dining room, office, bedroom, and outdoor areas). Get this - we painted invisible glow in the dark stars on our ceiling and at night it looks like stars are twinkling above us!

Old 04-02-2019, 06:26 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,678,256 times
A lighter shade of the wall color is what I'd go with if you don't want to go with the standard white. Mix a combo of white paint with the blue.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:05 PM

2 posts, read 1,065 times
You can't go wrong with lighter colour on your ceiling . But for me personally I would use white on my ceiling . You could also try going to Home depot for some advise . For your home decor needs you could visit [url]www.abateka[/url] .com . They have variety of unique indoor and outdoor home decor.

Old 04-03-2019, 04:24 AM

38 posts, read 21,085 times
I would go with white, it goes well with blue.

Old 04-03-2019, 04:33 AM

6,362 posts, read 4,187,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Just my personal opinion, but I would never paint a ceiling anything other than some shade of white. Anything else is weird and even slightly claustrophobic.
I agree, different ceiling features can make them more interesting than flat ceilings, however, I would not stray too far from a white ceiling as KB has mentioned. You really don’t want to draw attention to ceiling, IMO.

Old 04-03-2019, 06:22 AM

The ceiling is the fifth wall. And while I wouldn't necessarily want to draw attention to the ceiling, I get that the OP IS trying to draw attention to the molding and trim, which is painted white. So white on white isn't going to make it pop.

And besides that, while white ceilings are perfectly fine, they can also be perfectly boring, when a different shade or treatment can really bring a space to life.

OP, here are a few photos of ceilings in our house. I absolutely LOVE a ceiling that's painted something other than white most of the time. Of course, sometimes white looks nice but often it's just what people think a ceiling "should" be.

By the way, often a painted ceiling really, really shows off a light fixture as well as the trim. For instance, notice in the first photo - see the bigger, hanging light fixture in the bathroom? It has a white shade and some crystals. It would not stand out nearly as much against a white ceiling but I love it against the gray.
Attached Thumbnails
What accent color can I paint ceilings? See color scheme below-tub-done-resized-cropped-smaller.jpg   What accent color can I paint ceilings? See color scheme below-new-kitchen-hall-resized-smaller.jpg   What accent color can I paint ceilings? See color scheme below-ceiling-trim-walls-smaller-1-2018.jpg   What accent color can I paint ceilings? See color scheme below-new-blue-porch-ceiling-smaller.jpg   What accent color can I paint ceilings? See color scheme below-master-bedroom-2017smaller.jpg  

Old 04-03-2019, 07:10 AM

Here's a thread about the process I went through coming up with ceiling colors:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/home-...king-tips.html

Old 04-03-2019, 07:22 AM

Oh here are some more ceilings from the Greenbrier Hotel in WV - which was decorated in spectacular fashion by the very colorful Dorothy Draper:

https://www.google.com/search?q=gree...w=1092&bih=458

Wow. For anyone who loves interior design, this place is definitely worth visiting, even if her array of colors and patterns is over the top for you. Note that some of her ceilings ARE white, but many are painted in other colors. We toured this place a few years ago and I want to go back and actually stay there - the Greenbrier is fascinating with a unique history dating back to the 1770s.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:14 AM

307 posts, read 255,896 times
Here are some before and after pics of my ceilings/walls.

Before:What accent color can I paint ceilings? See color scheme below-isukr7ydw9adb10000000000.jpgWhat accent color can I paint ceilings? See color scheme below-isyzht1r9cf6o20000000000.jpgWhat accent color can I paint ceilings? See color scheme below-is66k5kxdkn3o20000000000.jpg

After (sorry these pics are a bit blurry and bright...very sunny day here today!): What accent color can I paint ceilings? See color scheme below-img_1261.jpgWhat accent color can I paint ceilings? See color scheme below-img_1262.jpgWhat accent color can I paint ceilings? See color scheme below-img_1263.jpgWhat accent color can I paint ceilings? See color scheme below-img_1264.jpgWhat accent color can I paint ceilings? See color scheme below-img_1265.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating