Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 08:42 AM

15,653 posts, read 10,425,074 times

Advertisements

I live in Texas, where sometimes real heads, bodies (usually fish), skulls, and horns of various creatures are displayed on walls as décor. There are few decorating choices that really affect me negatively, to each his own, but dead creatures used as decorations really make my skin crawl.

Any home decorations you absolutely dislike?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 12:00 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,227,390 times
Too much stuff bought at places like Hobby Lobby, hung and displayed everywhere. I like to see things that have been lovingly collected, or some treasured old pieces, or art made by an artist. I know things like this are sometimes hard to find for young families. But that Chinese bric a brac that is so easy to find, and often relatively cheap, is just soulless.

At least, I like to see things that reflects the tastes and interests of the homeowner.

And I am not saying that no one should ever, ever, shop at Hobby Lobby or Cost Plus World Market. But a house full of trendy junk is something I really do not like.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:12 PM

38 posts, read 21,152 times
I also don't like dead creatures as home decorations. The thing is, I love animals and believe that they deserve proper burial, or at least, not to be hung on some friggin walls.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:17 PM

128 posts, read 106,043 times
i personally think it's cruel and barbaric to hang remains of dead animals in the house.

I have a couple of old gallon glass jars that I put spare change in. Before every vacation abroad I'll roll the change and use the money to by a piece of artwork from my trip. It may be a print, a piece of pottery,etc. I've done it for decades and love having stuff that I've bought among my home decor. I also buy flags and maps from countries I have visited for hanging in my home. I like decorative piece to mean something to me instead of just getting random knickknacks from retail stores, although I do occasionally see something in retail stores I like.

Old 04-08-2019, 04:10 PM

6,834 posts, read 11,583,309 times
What I cannot stand are words/quotes on the wall - “Family” “Love” “Always Kiss me Goodnight” ad nauseum.

One of my “hobbies” is looking at real estate listings and it seems like every dang house is full of these things.

Old 04-08-2019, 05:27 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,459,741 times
I'm not a fan of artificial/silk/dried flower arrangements in general, but I particularly dislike when they are displayed out of season...…...like a bunch of silk tulips in August.

Agreed about the words on walls...….

I dislike rooms that look like every piece was part of a page in a current catalog like Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware, Etc and all delivered to your house yesterday lol.

Ditto rooms that contain every trend that is on point for the last couple years.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:24 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,517,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Too much stuff bought at places like Hobby Lobby, hung and displayed everywhere. I like to see things that have been lovingly collected, or some treasured old pieces, or art made by an artist. I know things like this are sometimes hard to find for young families. But that Chinese bric a brac that is so easy to find, and often relatively cheap, is just soulless.

At least, I like to see things that reflects the tastes and interests of the homeowner.

And I am not saying that no one should ever, ever, shop at Hobby Lobby or Cost Plus World Market. But a house full of trendy junk is something I really do not like.
Maybe hobby lobby and World Market actually reflect the tastes and interests of the homeowner? :P

I like hobby lobby's stuff, I have a traditional home and their style kind of suits it best...old world knocks offs, wood and glass and such.

wouldn't really call that trendy....i've seen them sell farmhouse stuff for years before it became trendy.

we have a lot of square feet, tbh, so yeah some of the stuff is treasured and some of it is china bric a brac. which i held on to for over a decade before retiring it to goodwill

Old 04-11-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Maybe hobby lobby and World Market actually reflect the tastes and interests of the homeowner? :P

I like hobby lobby's stuff, I have a traditional home and their style kind of suits it best...old world knocks offs, wood and glass and such.

wouldn't really call that trendy....i've seen them sell farmhouse stuff for years before it became trendy.

we have a lot of square feet, tbh, so yeah some of the stuff is treasured and some of it is china bric a brac. which i held on to for over a decade before retiring it to goodwill
We were posting about what we dislike. I have no problem with you liking what you like.

It does seem to me that places like Hobby Lobby sense a trend and flog it to death, as with mason jars! I actually own and use antique glass canning jars. But all of those jar “knockoffs” have no real functionality. This is just one example that comes to mind.

It is a free country. You get to buy what you like, as do I. And, we all pass through various phases over time.

Old 04-11-2019, 10:07 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,517,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
We were posting about what we dislike. I have no problem with you liking what you like.

It does seem to me that places like Hobby Lobby sense a trend and flog it to death, as with mason jars! I actually own and use antique glass canning jars. But all of those jar “knockoffs” have no real functionality. This is just one example that comes to mind.

It is a free country. You get to buy what you like, as do I. And, we all pass through various phases over time.
I understand all of that - me liking what I like and you liking what you like. I'm fully aware that it's a free country. Remember these exact words are used ad nauseum in this forum. There's a reason why I included the ":P" emoticon because it wasn't meant to be an attack on your dislike but I see you got at least somewhat offended anyway. What can ya do.

Last edited by riaelise; 04-11-2019 at 10:39 AM..

Old 04-11-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I understand all of that - me liking what I like and you liking what you like. I'm fully aware that it's a free country. Remember these exact words are used ad nauseum in this forum. There's a reason why I included the ":P" emoticon because it wasn't meant to be an attack on your dislike but I see you got at least somewhat offended anyway. What can ya do.
I am not offended. I do confess I am emoticon illiterate though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating