Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 12:00 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,457,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
What I cannot stand are words/quotes on the wall - “Family” “Love” “Always Kiss me Goodnight” ad nauseum.

One of my “hobbies” is looking at real estate listings and it seems like every dang house is full of these things.
I will be so happy when this fad is over. It's gone beyond stale. I can't stand "sign art."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 12:07 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,214,660 times
Default One must break through the ugliness

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I live in Texas, where sometimes real heads, bodies (usually fish), skulls, and horns of various creatures are displayed on walls as décor. There are few decorating choices that really affect me negatively, to each his own, but dead creatures used as decorations really make my skin crawl.

Any home decorations you absolutely dislike?

.. that surrounds you and open yourself to ... Sorry. Lost my train of thought. My wife is dressing our dog up again.

Old 04-11-2019, 01:14 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
I really really really dislike dead animal displays.

I also am sick to death of signs and word art. And that's saying something because I actually do own a few pieces of "word art," and have for decades. I have three antique wall hangings from Germany that are etched wood and they have German phrases on them - but hey, they are the real deal and plus the sayings are cool in English, especially the one that says something like this: "He who grabs the golden ring and thinks that only golden days lay ahead...oh, he does not know the darkness that lies in the hearts of men." Pretty succinct, albeit morbid, considering that Adolph Hitler was born around the time this sign was made, and soon Germany would lose not one, but two world wars and be plunged into the very heart of evil.

I also admit that I have a VINO standup sign in my kitchen. I do. It's in a transom window. I like wine, what can I say? Well, VINO for starters.

For decades, whenever I've moved, I've stenciled "Carpe Diem" somewhere in my house. This was long before the "word art" craze hit, and I hate to quit doing it just because it's trendy now. So I do have "Carpe Diem" stenciled above a window.

But there are no "Live Love Laugh" signs or "Kiss the Cook!" or "Always Kiss Me Goodnight" signs anywhere in my house. That being said, I do think that the very occasional word or sign is fine - it's just that I don't want slogans plastered around everywhere.

Old 04-11-2019, 03:59 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,116,660 times
If you dislike "word art," take heart! If our local Habitat Restore is any barometer of changing trends, word art's popularity is on the decline.

I love browsing through this store as a sort of museum to changing trends. I miss living near DC's Museum of American History, but in many ways this is just as good. The things that make it into our Restore aren't antiques, they're things that were once recently trendy, are still in good shape, but are now out of fashion. It's fascinating to watch the inventory change as the years go by, and especially interesting to see what gets picked up and what sits on the shelves, unwanted even at bargain prices.

Lately I've been seeing more word art signs. So who knows, maybe that means that particular trend is heading out!

Old 04-12-2019, 01:01 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,283,360 times
Yeah, I don't like the dead animals either.

I also don't like stainless steel appliances.

I don't like painted wood-whether it be door/window trim or furniture. Prefer stained wood.

I'm sure I will think of more later.

Cat

Old 04-12-2019, 05:28 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,925,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
What I cannot stand are words/quotes on the wall - “Family” “Love” “Always Kiss me Goodnight” ad nauseum.

Yeah, word art is bad. But how about black velvet paintings?

Old 04-12-2019, 05:48 PM

372 posts, read 220,292 times
I designed 'my perfect house' when I was in my mid 20's .Designed for Australian conditions, with focus inwards.

Never got to built it of course. However, I DID get to see it. In Italy; it was called "The Brother's House" ,and it was in Pompeii. In essence, my 'perfect house' was an ancient Roman villa.

My ideas changed once I came across Frank Lloyd Wright. The guy was a genius. If you're interested, see some of his houses via Google Image. My favourite is "the waterfall house"

Sadly, I never got to build my own house. Here in Oz ,it's almost always cheaper and a lot less inconvenient, to buy an existing house.----houses do not usually gain in value, only land does.

Old 04-13-2019, 05:18 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,116,660 times
My least favorite has to be the "minimalist" look. Especially the minimalist look paired with grey walls. Some people can pull it off (especially professional designers). But most of the houses I've seen with it look too stark, too plain, like something's missing. Some end up with a "cell block" or "corporate" feel.

I can't say whether or not minimalism is great design or in good taste. I know there are many fans of it, and who am I to judge? But it's not my personal taste at all.

I'm also not a fan of dead animals, especially animal heads. We were touring open houses at Christmas time and one house had an entire room full of deer heads decorated for the season. That made it worse. I could just imagine a family with little kids touring the house and thinking it was Santa's reindeer.

Old 04-13-2019, 05:22 AM

805 posts, read 524,724 times
Plastic houseplants.

I love that houseplants are back in style, though! Real plants.

Old 04-13-2019, 05:28 AM

805 posts, read 524,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
My least favorite has to be the "minimalist" look. Especially the minimalist look paired with grey walls. Some people can pull it off (especially professional designers). But most of the houses I've seen with it look too stark, too plain, like something's missing. Some end up with a "cell block" or "corporate" feel.

:
I also never liked the grey wall trend. Especially when the grey walls clash with warm flooring and cabinetry from earlier decor.

Which reminds me that I really don’t like the grey-tone hardwood flooring trend. It’s easy to change paint color. Flooring is an investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating