Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 07:41 AM

394 posts, read 1,506,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo View Post
Thank you for all of the replies:

For those that say to get rid of the vertical blinds over the arched window: what would you put over there? I would have gotten some kind of curtain for show....but to block the sunlight, if you don't have blinds...what would you have over that window?
I agree with the other poster about window treatment you could pull back etc., but you might want to consider hanging the window treatment from the top of the wall over the window so you don't obscure that beautiful arch. You might also be able to combine with a sheer material over the window part which could afford some privacy while also blocking the sunlight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 03:17 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,274,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I would us some kind of a drapery that can be pulled back when you don't need it to block the sun.
Isn't the drapery idea and the existing blinds basically six to one and 1/2 dozen to the other? They both work the same way.......pull back when the sun isn't needed to be blocked.

Very lovely house.

Old 04-26-2008, 04:39 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Isn't the drapery idea and the existing blinds basically six to one and 1/2 dozen to the other? They both work the same way.......pull back when the sun isn't needed to be blocked.

Very lovely house.

I can see your point but the bar on top of the window for the blinds really cuts into the effect of the round window. A curtain rod would be less obvious, especially if you got something that would blend in with the wall color, and bring the focus to the window and not the curtain or blind.

Old 04-26-2008, 06:34 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,894,135 times
Lovely lovely house! I would spend the money to replace the sliding glass door with french doors, but that's just me!

Old 04-26-2008, 06:47 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Wallpaper.

Old 04-26-2008, 03:36 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,486,336 times
Here is what I would do:

I would remove all of the vertical blinds. I would replace the front (living room) verticals with custom made (arch and all) poly-vinyl white plantation shutters. I would replace the dining room slider with a french door. I would use a drapery treatment there with a beautiful wrought iron rod. Your drapery treatment there should be pulled to the side or sides and be colorful. I would not paint any walls as of yet. I would focus on colored accent pieces on your decorator ledge (think large ceramic vases, etc.) and I would incorporate color with your rugs, paintings on the wall and colorful pillows, seat covers, etc. Place a rug in your living room and another under your dining table with one at your entry hall. Do not match these up but have their colors complement each other. I love the canvas you have there with the same neutral color. I believe that painting walls colors (even accent walls) will make your space seem smaller. I like to look at things not walls.

Let us know how it turns out.

Old 04-26-2008, 06:23 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,108,500 times
I love the look of plantation shutters but I wouldn't want them in my house. They look like a constant-dusting nightmare Any blinds in my house are inexpensive garden-variety types. It's cheaper to replace those than to wash them! I've hidden them behind sheers with tie-back drapes. At night you just let the blinds down and never have to close the drapes. (Also a good way to save on expensive drapes - use just one panel on each side of the window, or between multiple windows, for looks rather than buying pairs for each window).

Of course there are situations where you just want beautiful drapes or shades. Not sure I would spring for this cost when selling though....

Old 04-26-2008, 06:36 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,154,199 times
Paint everything lilac. The lightest color on the paint strip. It will look white until you pair it with some white like the trim or the floor. Don't make the house too dark.

Paint the "box" that holds the kitchen sink fire engine red. Paint the wall where the sliding doors are a charcoal grey. Make sure they work together visually before you have them mixed.

That's what I did in my condo. I loved that place. I used the furniture for the red. I used curtains at the doors.

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/3293/dsc01740pl8.jpg (broken link) http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/1244/dsc01718qt8.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-27-2008, 10:04 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,422,547 times
I think SmokyMtnGal is right on in her advice. I have the same tile floor throughout my entire house and my walls are all an eggshell color. The furniture is ivory leather with dark wood tables; the color accents are in my rugs and paintings. I replaced a sliding glass door with french doors (the kind with between-the-glass blinds) and still, after two years, am in awe of the difference. I also have poly-vinyl white plantation shutters everywhere (except two garden windows in the kitchen and dining room) and love them.

Your house has great potential. Enjoy decorating it and living in it!

Old 04-27-2008, 10:37 AM

22,327 posts, read 29,411,685 times
Paperhouse-I love your condo's colors!!! Just my style!

You're not too far from me-want to come over to my new house and help with colors???? (Mint Hill)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating