Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2021, 07:23 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,198,159 times

Advertisements

I like white lights don’t care if they are in fashion or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2021, 05:31 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Have white Christmas lights gone out of fashion?

I hit the 1/2 price day after Christmas sale at Walmart and one of the things I wanted was a 10 foot string of colored LED lights to replace the lights on a wreath.

Much to my surprise, there was an entire row of Christmas lights floor to ceiling still available and there was exactly one strand of colored lights: a very expensive 500 light LED icicle set, that was still very expensive when bought for half price. Not so much as a single colored light other than that. Every colored light set was sold out before Christmas day.

Colored Christmas lights back in style? White Christmas lights out of fashion?
I like the white lights alot. The string of lights I have on my metal christmas tree can do both white and multi-colored or rotate between the two. I will buy more white.

Old 01-02-2021, 06:26 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
I am an all white fan. Going a step further, I also am a warm white LED person. I like soft lighting and not the bright LED white. I can appreciate how and with what others decorate, but it is just not for me.

Our Walmart had significantly reduced lights this year and the clerk said they were waiting for things this year that never arrived due to the containers being delayed at the ports. Maybe they ordered the whites and they never arrived in the amounts they wanted.

Old 01-02-2021, 11:16 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
White lights indoors are out for me right now because my hand me down artificial tree has multi color lights. If I ever get a new tree, that may change.

Old 01-02-2021, 11:31 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I am an all white fan. Going a step further, I also am a warm white LED person. I like soft lighting and not the bright LED white. I can appreciate how and with what others decorate, but it is just not for me.

Our Walmart had significantly reduced lights this year and the clerk said they were waiting for things this year that never arrived due to the containers being delayed at the ports. Maybe they ordered the whites and they never arrived in the amounts they wanted.
For decorating Christmas trees or other plants, I typically prefer warm white. However, for icicle lights I prefer cool white since it looks more icy, since I think warm white icicle lights defeats the purpose of icicle lights.

Old 01-02-2021, 03:19 PM

3,375 posts, read 1,970,783 times
Anyone who goes through the trouble of putting up lights and decorations outside is okay in my book! I love any type of lights ... colorful or white. This year I had gold lights on my indoor tree and it looked so pretty. I've rarely seen gold lights outside though.

Old 01-02-2021, 03:24 PM

828 posts, read 416,361 times
Yes the white ones are now considered racist.

Old 01-02-2021, 03:57 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve19605 View Post
yes the white ones are now considered racist.
lmao

Old 01-02-2021, 04:08 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Have white Christmas lights gone out of fashion?

I hit the 1/2 price day after Christmas sale at Walmart and one of the things I wanted was a 10 foot string of colored LED lights to replace the lights on a wreath.

Much to my surprise, there was an entire row of Christmas lights floor to ceiling still available and there was exactly one strand of colored lights: a very expensive 500 light LED icicle set, that was still very expensive when bought for half price. Not so much as a single colored light other than that. Every colored light set was sold out before Christmas day.

Colored Christmas lights back in style? White Christmas lights out of fashion?
They went out of fashion for me, and my family. about ten years ago. I realized how much I'd enjoyed colorful (C-9?) large lights, looked for some, and decorated the house with them.

A day after we put them up, out an ever-competitive next-door neighbor had her husband and son strip the white ones off her house and replace them with multi-colored lights.

I will take that as a compliment.

Honestly, I think they are more festive!

Last edited by sheena12; 01-02-2021 at 04:17 PM..

Old 01-02-2021, 04:17 PM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times
I grew up in the 60's, when most people displayed multi-colored lights, but then I started seeing more of the cream-colored lights, and I agree with others that they are classy and beautiful, although I still like the nostalgia of the traditional multi-colored lights. In short, I like both styles, but what I definitely do NOT like ae light strands that are all one color except for white or cream. And I strongly dislike modern colors like purple, hot pink, orange and turquoise.

Of course, everyone is entitled to his or her own taste, but I am very, VERY glad that we moved to a community in which 99% of the residents apparently agree with me!

Last edited by katharsis; 01-02-2021 at 04:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating