Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 11:58 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times

Advertisements

Have white Christmas lights gone out of fashion?

I hit the 1/2 price day after Christmas sale at Walmart and one of the things I wanted was a 10 foot string of colored LED lights to replace the lights on a wreath.

Much to my surprise, there was an entire row of Christmas lights floor to ceiling still available and there was exactly one strand of colored lights: a very expensive 500 light LED icicle set, that was still very expensive when bought for half price. Not so much as a single colored light other than that. Every colored light set was sold out before Christmas day.

Colored Christmas lights back in style? White Christmas lights out of fashion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 01:31 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Holiday decorating trends in general seem to be more flamboyant/over-the-top these days. Less subtle, more garish. Why settle on one single color when you can have multiple colors everywhere? Maybe white is seen as too plain, too ordinary? Don't happen to agree. A house with all white lighting can be dignified and beautiful. Do you live in a snowy area? Maybe people want more color contrast reflected off the white.

Old 12-29-2020, 02:16 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Supply-Demand...
Whatever is leftover is 1/2 off. Move it out to make way for spring.

All retailers said, “we have inventory now (Sept/Oct); get it now or it will be GONE!” And from what I’ve read- that is in fact the case.

Old 12-29-2020, 03:42 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,417,131 times
I think people are still using white but in combination with colors. My community has a nice mix. We wrapped a wreath, porch railing, and lamp post in white and have colored lights other places. Even in the days when all-white decorating was popular, we were different and used only mixed colored lights.

Old 12-29-2020, 04:01 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,092,097 times
Around here white/clear seems to be about half the displays. This year the stores were running out/low on everything by mid December. There were a lot more folks decorating this year and doing bigger displays so I'm not surprised there weren't many left.

Old 12-31-2020, 11:04 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
We still see a lot of white lights on some homes around here, but they may be years old. We are just now at 100% LED, as our older lights have all failed and been replaced. Ours are all colored except for one string that changes from white to colored over and over. Many people are using white lights all year on their patio or deck, which to me makes white Christmas lights less festive.

Old 12-31-2020, 11:28 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Have white Christmas lights gone out of fashion?

I hit the 1/2 price day after Christmas sale at Walmart and one of the things I wanted was a 10 foot string of colored LED lights to replace the lights on a wreath.

Much to my surprise, there was an entire row of Christmas lights floor to ceiling still available and there was exactly one strand of colored lights: a very expensive 500 light LED icicle set, that was still very expensive when bought for half price. Not so much as a single colored light other than that. Every colored light set was sold out before Christmas day.

Colored Christmas lights back in style? White Christmas lights out of fashion?
Neither has been out of style or fashion. I use both, as do many people.

Old 12-31-2020, 02:11 PM

44,355 posts, read 20,059,784 times
I've always preferred varied-color Christmas lights. They just seem more cheerful to me.

In my area, about half the decorated homes have plain white lights and half have colored lights. In the ritzy subdivisions the majority of homes have white lights only. I guess they think they're more classy.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 12-31-2020, 03:43 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
I use a mix of lights. I have strands of multi colored that I've used on the tree the last few years. On the outside of my house I use solid red bulbs. I've had these for a loooong time and have a case of replacement bulbs that I dip into every year. When I'm feeling fancy I add strands of the little white lights right along with the bigger red ones and even wrap a post near the entry to give it that candy cane look!

Old 12-31-2020, 10:51 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,271,037 times
The sparkle of lights is my favorite part of the holiday. I've seen white lights along with everything else this year. I like them all except the inflatable decorations, though I imagine those appeal to kids.

At my house there's a multicolored lighted wreath on the door, and a string of multicolored lights in the kitchen. In three different rooms there are blue, red, and purple light strings, and a string of white lights in the "snow" at the base of the Christmas tree along with some color-changing snowflakes.

It took a bit of time to get into the mood this season, but it finally happened after driving around and looking at lovely lights...and a bonus was looking up and seeing Jupiter and Mars so close together in the twilight sky (before the "great conjunction" on the 21st).

Due to putting things up later this year I've been thinking of leaving things up a little longer, but I'll probably take everything down tomorrow as usual.

Happy New Year, everybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating