Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 10:40 AM

6 posts, read 43,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleS View Post
I have to ask -- are you located in Chicago? Because we have the EXACT same bathroom. We're currently doing a partial update to ours, too. We're going with just plain white paint on the walls and door/window frames and haven't decided yet if we'll paint the salmon wall tiles maybe a gray (but leave the black accent tiles). We're going with a retro-ish Parisian black and white shower curtain. We're also replacing the vanity and sink with a plain white sink and a dark Espresso vanity. Hopefully for under $500 we can semi-redo the bathroom to one we can live with at least until we have the $ to gut it. Any luck with yours yet?

I'm in New Jersey. This was a very popular style. I found many bathrooms on the internet that looked very similar. And even since I purchased the home, I noticed my friend's apartment had the exact same bathroom but in grey. Do you have the same floor also? I'm going to go with white or a muted white for the walls, trim and doors and I've painted the vanity black and purchased a medicine cabinet to be painted black also. To paint over the laminate I used someone's advice and used Krylon Fusion spray for plastic surfaces. It worked great. I also purchased a new chrome shower curtain rod and white toilet seat with silver accents. I'm doing so many other things in the house that I haven't been able to completely finish the bathroom. We're still in the dirty phase of remodeling! Any suggestions for a shower curtain? Have you found any that work for you? I'd love to see pics of your bathroom too! Post away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 01:09 PM

3 posts, read 14,413 times
I think we're going to go with this shower curtain: Bed Bath & Beyond - Dancing in the Street Fabric Shower Curtain

We have a Parisian theme to a lot of the rest of the house so somehow this might tie in the horrid pink with the rest of the house until we can gut it. I was trying to post a pic of ours but only have it on our computer, not online so it won't let me post it. Weird. Basically picture yours, with one of the soap dishes cracked off and no wall sconces. Yuck. So that's my next quest - to find a replacement soap dish for under $150. This vintage thing is crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demodiva View Post
I'm in New Jersey. This was a very popular style. I found many bathrooms on the internet that looked very similar. And even since I purchased the home, I noticed my friend's apartment had the exact same bathroom but in grey. Do you have the same floor also? I'm going to go with white or a muted white for the walls, trim and doors and I've painted the vanity black and purchased a medicine cabinet to be painted black also. To paint over the laminate I used someone's advice and used Krylon Fusion spray for plastic surfaces. It worked great. I also purchased a new chrome shower curtain rod and white toilet seat with silver accents. I'm doing so many other things in the house that I haven't been able to completely finish the bathroom. We're still in the dirty phase of remodeling! Any suggestions for a shower curtain? Have you found any that work for you? I'd love to see pics of your bathroom too! Post away.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:26 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,190 times
Lucky you! I love that bathroom. Those old tiles look like they are in excellent shape. All you need is a new vanity and maybe toilet. Otherwise, wow, I could do that bathroom over nice. You could paint the tile also. Where I live now, the prior people must have had someone come in and spray all the shower tiles a bright white! It has held up excellent and looks so nice. They also did the tiles on the shower floor but those need to be done again. I would not paint your tiles though...they are really nice. Just buy something for the wall that matches and decorate around it.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:25 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demodiva View Post
I'm in New Jersey. This was a very popular style. I found many bathrooms on the internet that looked very similar.

Any suggestions for a shower curtain? Have you found any that work for you? I'd love to see pics of your bathroom too! Post away.
I am in New Jersey too. I recently looked at a house with the same salmon-pink and black tiles and if I do buy this house, those tiles are staying in! I went to Miami once and stayed in the Art Deco District and the colors and tiles just remind me of the place . . .

Anyway, black & white sounds like a good color combo for the curtain. The Parisian pattern is pretty cool--just make sure it isn't too busy or linear/thin for you. How about something mod or graphic? Or a black & white variation of the Hawaiian barkcloth pattern someone mentioned? Not sure how it would work and I'm sure you'll try it out first.

Good luck with the bathroom! Sounds like you're having fun!

Old 03-26-2009, 03:36 PM

281 posts, read 1,008,918 times
Aaah...I just saw those exact tiles in a slideshow on Apartment Therapy today! Check out the way they renovated the bathroom - I think it looks great! Apartment Therapy - bathshower

Old 03-27-2009, 06:36 PM

12 posts, read 64,508 times
Retro the sink to a pedestal stile, If the tile really is not getting it you can have them resurfaced, use a pro it will last longer. some paint on the walls will make it look different and would be a good place to start, you might decide you like the tile. Change out the curtains something other than pink. Change the mirror and side lights if your handy you can redo the electric and do away with the two side lights and do a single fixture above the new mirror. Also if it has a bath fan up date to a new 110 cfm quieter model.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:30 PM

857 posts, read 4,878,853 times
I once had a similar bathroom in one of my previous houses. I painted the wall in an off-white shade that had a slight salmon cast to it. Then I taped off vertical stripes and painted them in the same color but in a semi-gloss. The effect was subtle and elegant.
I am the queen of cheap when it comes to remodeling. Here is a picture of a tacky old vanity that I painted in an espresso color (you could use black in your bathroom), put new hardware on it, and made "feet" at the base by cutting a 2x6 at an angle, sticking it on the bottom, and putting a piece of molding above it. Voila! New vanity. No plumbing necessary.
Attached Thumbnails
need advice for my bathroom budget facelift-img_1557_1.jpg  

Old 03-29-2009, 05:40 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,423,346 times
Your bathroom is almost identical to the one in my dad's house - we sold his home 2 years ago, built in 1948. Many people loved the retro tile! We spruced it up to put it on the market:

Walls painted white.
New white vanity/new mirror
Black and white print shower curtain - sounds awful - looked fabulous!
Towels in black and white

The look was clean and sleek...did the entire room for $250.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,015 times
Celebrate the retro and just use new paint (I suggest an antique white as you have plenty of color) and accessories to have fun with the bath as I did. I get many compliments on my 50's tile!!!

Old 01-07-2010, 08:59 PM

424 posts, read 2,340,704 times
I'm no expert, but personally I'd keep the tile and floor and get rid of all the pink and go with greens instead? The mirror is sweet. I just bought a house built in 1949 and my kids bathroom has a mirror kinda like that.

When you're working on the kitchen, let me know. My '49 kitchen is.... I'm not really sure of the best word to use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating