Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 07:22 PM

556 posts, read 2,087,898 times

Advertisements

ejest - I found a picture of our 'gold'ish' cabinetry (they look a bit yellow in this picture - but they are darker and more gold than they appear) and the ubatuba granite..........I love that the ubatuba has the green, black and gold tones running through it!!!

Have fun making the changes to your NEW kitchen!!
Attached Thumbnails
Question on what color granite to choose-december-17-2005-kitchen-4.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 07:52 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
I'd go with a darker color myself but you might have different taste. Get plenty of samples and pick for yourself. All natural colors is what most new box homes come and IMO are common and bland.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:35 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,056,113 times
We bought a Brazilian granite for our kitchen counters - it is called Gold & Silver - it looks great with black and silver and allows me to bring in cool and warm colors. I like the granite to relate to the cabinet and appliance color - we have walnut cabinets, stainless appliances and hardware - all colors found in the granite. In the fall I decorate with warm colors - right now I've got apple green cast iron pots, towels and live ferns, a bowl of green apples, etc.- very springy and happy looking. Choosing fairly neutral colors for our granite/cabinets and appliances allows me to change out my accessories with the seasons...http://www.marvamarble.com/GRANITE-GoldSilver.HTM

I do think Gold & Silver or something similar would look great with white cabinets and black appliances.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:20 AM

6 posts, read 55,604 times
You should take a look at tropical brown. It has brown and black but a hint of green pops out. I really like this color because it works with just about anything. One of my clients had this with white cabinets and their backsplash was a dark slate color. It all worked well together. I wouldn't recommend black. It's very high maintenance, especially if you have little ones. You can see every finger print on it. Uba Tuba would also be a good choice. You should also take a look at Giallo California. It is a darker peach color with black. It's a very nice color.

I hope this helps. Good luck

Old 03-16-2009, 01:41 AM

128 posts, read 1,070,976 times
Default Granite color suggestion!

i found these two color going good with your white cabinets. Check em out. maybe they'll work for you.

Good Luck!
Jeanne
Attached Thumbnails
Question on what color granite to choose-colonialdreambrown.jpg   Question on what color granite to choose-azulimperialventoblue.jpg  

Old 03-18-2009, 03:59 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,699,483 times
I was looking at a picture of granite, I saw on the web. I think with the white I like Aurora Blue-in the brown colors. Also the Gallio Ornimental under the gold colors. Have you considered silestone to look at.

Last edited by maggiekate; 03-18-2009 at 04:33 PM..

Old 03-22-2009, 04:35 PM

5 posts, read 66,654 times
Default Countertops

Hi! I have been searching all over for granite! I have oak cabinets and oak hardwood floors (a little darker then my cabinets). My kitchen is dark red with white trim although I don't really have any solid walls (bay windowand other sides open to rooms). I was set on Ubatuba (to match the sage in my FR and black on parts of appliances) until a contractor come out with larger samples. My neighbor has Ubatuba and her kitchen is a sage color with lots of light - I loved hers! Some things you should consider when choosing the granite color is many will tell you to match the granite with the cabinets - wall color is easier to change . When I had large samples to look at I changed my mind -the contractor told me to lean it up on my counter against the wall and step back to look. The Ubatuba looked SO different and I ended up choosing Giallo Fioriotto! What a suprise! It has some gold, brown, cream, gray, and black in it and looks beautiful! It is a lighter color but matches my woodwork beautifully. I have stainless appliances and brushed nickel hardware. The cream in it would also make it look nice with cream or white cabinets. The Ubatuba had the green and when I looked at the large samples and the light in my kitchen it looked way different. Another thing I have been told (by my appraiser) is not everyone likes dark - you tire of it easier and for re-sale neutral is best. I have also heard dark is hard to keep clean (my friend has it in his kitchen and says you see water spots etc. and it is hard to keep up). My advice would be to get larger samples and don't go by what you see on line, in a photo, or even in the store - I'm proof of that! It looks way different in a larger piece and in your own kitchen. Good luck!

Old 03-22-2009, 05:19 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyCheesehead View Post
Hi! I have been searching all over for granite! I have oak cabinets and oak hardwood floors (a little darker then my cabinets). My kitchen is dark red with white trim although I don't really have any solid walls (bay windowand other sides open to rooms). I was set on Ubatuba (to match the sage in my FR and black on parts of appliances) until a contractor come out with larger samples. My neighbor has Ubatuba and her kitchen is a sage color with lots of light - I loved hers! Some things you should consider when choosing the granite color is many will tell you to match the granite with the cabinets - wall color is easier to change . When I had large samples to look at I changed my mind -the contractor told me to lean it up on my counter against the wall and step back to look. The Ubatuba looked SO different and I ended up choosing Giallo Fioriotto! What a suprise! It has some gold, brown, cream, gray, and black in it and looks beautiful! It is a lighter color but matches my woodwork beautifully. I have stainless appliances and brushed nickel hardware. The cream in it would also make it look nice with cream or white cabinets. The Ubatuba had the green and when I looked at the large samples and the light in my kitchen it looked way different. Another thing I have been told (by my appraiser) is not everyone likes dark - you tire of it easier and for re-sale neutral is best. I have also heard dark is hard to keep clean (my friend has it in his kitchen and says you see water spots etc. and it is hard to keep up). My advice would be to get larger samples and don't go by what you see on line, in a photo, or even in the store - I'm proof of that! It looks way different in a larger piece and in your own kitchen. Good luck!
Your advice is true, and, it was
so great, you did take the time to decide. Fads come and go, and people,
move, therefore, not all like dark colors! Your appraiser was correct, walls
to change easy, the rest costly! Frankly, you do need a big slab to decide!
Also, what you did say, neutral, than the buyer may change. The investment
for Granite, is money wise, a big investment. I was thinking of buying a brand new car, color black, and sleek! As we all do know, it is all that!
But!

Old 03-22-2009, 06:13 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,912,820 times
to clean my darker granite I use 409 granite cleaner. comes in a spray. I spray it on and simply wipe off of counters. Then no water spots. I really don't see water spots that much. I will say that Ubatuba granite really camoflauge food crumbs. LOL, I have to get up close to see if that is bread crumbs or the gold flecks in my counter tops. LOL

Now, the dark floors... what was I thinking??? I had burgundy carpet in last house and within minutes of vacuuming, it looked like I needed to vacuum again. Lint from socks would be very visible on my burgundy carpet. Now what did I do???? Get burgundy (cherry stained) hardwood floors.

I sweep maybe twice a day and damp mop just about every night and if I don't damp mop correctly, I will see like dry water streaks on my floor.

I think my kitchen is beautiful but the upkeep is a bit more than I bargained for.

Also, don't forget appliances. I have black. I was told to avoid smooth fridge because it would be hard to keep clean. I got textured. But my stove is smooth black. Every single I am wiping down the stove and fridge even if not used because the dust is so visible.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:02 PM

5 posts, read 66,654 times
A lot is also personal preference and if you plan to stay in your house long I say get what you want LOL! With me being in the military I never know when I'm going to move. Although since I completed my Iraq tour I know I will be here for 2 more years at least LOL! I like the dark but it just didn't look right once I compared others and knowing 1/2 the year my kitchen is dark beause the light that come through my bay window in winter (no foilage on the trees) is not there in the summer. My electrician put in recessed lighting which looks much better. If I were to stay here indefinetly I may have looked for darker. In fact there was a color that had black and burgandy in it - was really nice against my red walls but who knows? I may paint again LOL. Now I have to decide what colors for my bathrooms because the contractor putting in my kitchen granite is going to give me a deal on my bathroom countertops if I install at the same time. Hubby can do the plumbing and take off the countertops so that will save a few hundred dollars. I have no idea what to paint my baths and what to do with the countertop granite colors! Yikes! Here I go again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating