Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 05:19 PM

96 posts, read 337,531 times

Advertisements

thanks, i have never heard of that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 07:23 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,038,071 times
what a timely thread! May I join in with paint type questions?

We've just bought a house in NH, and while they did a lovely job painting, and we're happy with the colors in every room... except the master bedroom which is Pepto Pink Just can't cope with that. It will have to be changed before we can sleep in there.

Is there really that much difference in paint brands? I mean, I see Lowes carries one brand, Home Depot has someone else..... You're all saying Behr isn't that good. What about Glidden or Duron (If I find some place up there that sells Duron)?

I've heard people talk about using a tinted primer to help cover loud paint, and someone today told me about a type called 'latex kill' (actually for covering stains, but works for strong color and is also a primer). Anyone know anything?

I'm thinking of painting the room some shade of peach - a shade DH can handle but won't end up looking dingy/dirty quickly.

I'd love advice on paint types and such. Thanks!

Old 08-06-2009, 08:50 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
except the master bedroom which is Pepto Pink
LMAO ... While the room looks great, I can't imagine sleeping in it, either.

Quote:
Is there really that much difference in paint brands?
I really think it's a personal preference. I've been using Wal-Mart and Sears paints for more than 30 years with no complaints. So what if a paint has a 20-year warranty? I'm going to repaint the room another color before then anyway.

Quote:
I've heard people talk about using a tinted primer to help cover loud paint, and someone today told me about a type called 'latex kill' (actually for covering stains, but works for strong color and is also a primer).
You might be talking about Kilz paint from Wal-Mart. I used it in my kitchen. Went on just fine. Five years later, it's wearing like iron.

Peach is a great color for a bedroom One with less of a pink tint to it would probably more palatable to your spouse. My other favorite colors for a bedroom are sage green or a light terra cotta (which is kinda like peach, I guess ...).

Old 08-06-2009, 03:40 PM

Yea i would definately wanna paint over that pink LOL

I do find it funny everyone here doesn't like behr everyone I personally know that I have spoke to really likes it. The paint person at home depot said the new one with primer has had good customer reviews. I might just end up using that to avoid primer and let you all know how it works next month.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:51 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,408,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
LMAO ... While the room looks great, I can't imagine sleeping in it, either.

I really think it's a personal preference. I've been using Wal-Mart and Sears paints for more than 30 years with no complaints. So what if a paint has a 20-year warranty? I'm going to repaint the room another color before then anyway.

You might be talking about Kilz paint from Wal-Mart. I used it in my kitchen. Went on just fine. Five years later, it's wearing like iron.

Peach is a great color for a bedroom One with less of a pink tint to it would probably more palatable to your spouse. My other favorite colors for a bedroom are sage green or a light terra cotta (which is kinda like peach, I guess ...).
To me more important than the paint brand is the paint finish. From experience, don't ever buy and use flat paint for walls. It shows every scuff, fingerprint and in my case with having dogs, nose prints. We did 2 rooms in flat and ended up repainting them both in eggshell. It was a much better choice

Old 08-06-2009, 09:03 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,038,071 times
Ohiogirl- yeah, they did a lovely job painting, the whole house is great... but this color ...... Oh, it's called 'kilz'?? I had no idea. He said 'latex kilz' (as opposed to oil) and I had no idea what the second word was. thanks! My mother seems to think I should get a very pale peach because it will darken up on the walls. I'm not so sure that's a problem? a pale peach will dirty faster, and a stronger peach will actually have some color! I wish I had software like the tv shows where I could click on a paint chip and see a photo/rendering of my room in that color. that would be so helpful!

Yes, Va-cat, I agree: flat should only go on ceilings, never on walls. Eggshell is what I've usually used (though it's been forever since I've painted). A friend was telling me yesterday he had a painter that insisted on using satin finish on everything - and to his surprise, it looked great!

Kelly, I know what you mean! Another section everyone was saying how great Behr was! That's part of why I wonder how much difference brand makes. My mother swears by Glidden: she was able in one coat to cover a very deep violet (violent violet???) into a pastel something. That was 28 years ago, though.

Our furniture has a lot of dark wood (we like big, chunky stuff). Do you think a strong peach would be a problem?

Old 08-07-2009, 07:14 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Oh, yeah. I hate flat paint. Bleah. It always looks dusty. I use satin or eggshell as well, except in the bathroom and kitchen, where I use semi-gloss.

The precise color of peach you use is up to you; it's that simple! Heaven knows there are lots of choices out there. Since your furniture is big and bold, choose a big and bold color as a background for it. My preference would be a strong peach color with minimal pink undertones -- otherwise you'll wind up with another pink-looking room -- would look great with a linen trim.

Have fun getting rid of the pepto! LOL

Old 08-27-2009, 07:50 PM

So we are using the behrpaint and primer in one satin enamel and we finished a few rooms i really like they way it came out!

Old 08-31-2009, 07:34 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
I personally like falt paint but always go for egg sheel finish on walls. Any gloss to me persoanlly looks cheap. I also prefer a egg shell or soft gloss below semi-glosss oil base on wood work for the durabilty.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:03 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
PPG also makes some very good paints but you have to buy them at a paint store that specalises in them.Last I knew their best was Manor Hall which is premum paint.
Porter Paints, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating