Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 09:07 PM

7 posts, read 56,096 times

Advertisements

It's a contemporary couch, sort of a yellowy beige, and the pillows are a crewel floral with a deep red background. The living room is super small and dark. I've got a matching beige on the wall, but the room is dark naturally, and the paint color on the walls now isn't helping. Should I go with a lighter version? I was thinking a really muted sage or blue/gray for a change, but they seem too light for the value/lightness of the couch-no contrast. I'm stumped here. The floor is oak, and we have a big fireplace faced with slate. Furniture is darker wood and we have white trim. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 09:16 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,593,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shriba View Post
It's a contemporary couch, sort of a yellowy beige, and the pillows are a crewel floral with a deep red background. The living room is super small and dark. I've got a matching beige on the wall, but the room is dark naturally, and the paint color on the walls now isn't helping. Should I go with a lighter version? I was thinking a really muted sage or blue/gray for a change, but they seem too light for the value/lightness of the couch-no contrast. I'm stumped here. The floor is oak, and we have a big fireplace faced with slate. Furniture is darker wood and we have white trim. Thank you!
I have really light tan leather furniture with a light oak colored floor and kind of a soft wheat cream on the walls. It's an open floor plan and keeps everything looking light and airy. To open up a small dark room I would definitely go lighter.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:15 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times
I would vote for the sage or something like a mint green.
Blue doesn't belong anywhere in a house!!!!

Old 07-27-2009, 07:58 AM

64 posts, read 192,134 times
Default Wall Color

Benjamin Moore HC-27 Monroe Bisque...goes with almost everything, changes with the light.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:24 PM

171 posts, read 790,437 times
I like the idea of a grey-green color. A slate blue-grey could be pretty, too. I've seen a lot of rust/blue/cream together lately in catalogs and design shows. If you're not absolutely married to those red floral pillows, it could open up your color palette.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:50 PM

OK, no blue! The Benjamin Moore was what I was more what I was thinking, and I think I'll keep the green for the fabrics and throw rug. Thank you for the suggestions everyone!

Old 07-27-2009, 02:02 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,898,927 times
Yes. a green. Cannibis green. light cannibis green.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:40 PM

Sounds good, I think I'll stay with green, or a lighter butter cream and add the green in with accessories. I really do love the pillow covers, and the punch of red they provide. It's really a toned down red, so would go well with either green or butter cream. I'm definitely on a path - thank you all so much!

Old 07-28-2009, 11:55 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
I would go with a shade darker than the couch and then accent with dark red, black and even a darker shade than the walls - black framed artwork that has beiges, creams, sages, gold and dark red. Add a few good lamps that will add lighting, an area rug with a black background, a glass & metal coffee table (the glass helps a room look larger).....a few low light green plants to warm up the room (my favorite low light plant is the ZZ plant - dramatic and so easy to grow).

What do the floor and windows look like - could you post a picture.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:51 PM

Hi Cattknap,

My wall color is just a shade darker than the couch, but it's just too dark for the space, and my accents are deep red! I think I'll have to go a shade or two lighter for the walls, and I really like the red I have, so I'll add in maybe one other mid-tone color, like a soft green. I like the idea for glass tables and the low light green plants - thanks for the suggestion for the ZZ plant - easy to grow is good. : ) The floor is oak and the windows are large, starting at about 24" up from the floor, but don't let in a ton of light because we have a screened in patio. Eventually we'll enclose the patio, so that's staying, and one day I'll put in a skylight - for light and architectural interest. right now, I can't live with the dark feel we have! Thanks again for the great suggestions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating