Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 07:07 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,092,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint42 View Post
Well.. I started this post because I come from a beautiful country in Europe, and my last kitchen looked like the one in the first slide show: Mobalpa : cuisines, salles de bains et rangements

To my eyes, all the kitchens look the same here, unless if you spend $25K. . . . I'll go and check IKEA and will probably give it a shot. . .
Thanks for sharing the slide show. That's a really nice photo.

However,I don't quite understand the goal of being unique and looking for that look at IKEA. If you think all kitchens here (USA I assume) "look the same" then why do you believe that buying something from IKEA is so different and unique? Honestly, whenever I've seen an IKEA kitchen I know that it is an IKEA kitchen. OTOH, whenever I've seen something unique and different I'll ask, "Whoa, now who (which designer) did that kitchen?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 02:55 PM

2 posts, read 5,684 times
Hi,

I freshly arrived from Germany to work at Ohio State University for the next couple of years. We have bought a house and we are planning to remodel the kitchen and having no idea what style to choose.

First of all I am a little bit confused that all of you think that IKEA is representative for european kitchen style or actually is THE european kitchen style. IKEA is a good choice for your condo during college time but if you can afford to spend more money for a good quality kitchen for you family home you would not consider IKEA any more in Germany. I would assume that around 10% off all european kitchens are from IKEA. So they are not really representative.

To give you an impression about what is meant by european style from my German point of view take a look at the following links:

[URL="http://http://www.bulthaup.com/[/URL]

[URL="http://www.poggenpohl.de/en/index2.php"]Poggenpohl - Luxusküchen made in Germany[/URL]

[URL="http://www.neffkitchens.com/kitchen-con-palm.asp?num=2&pos=0px"]Neff Kitchen[/URL]

http://www.leichtkitchens.com/Kollektion2009.pdf (broken link)

[URL="http://www.noltekitchens-usa.com/"]Nolte Kitchens, Inc. © 2008 All Rights Reserved[/URL]

Most of the kitchens in Europe are built by companies from Italy and Germany. So that is quite more representative in my opinion than looking into the IKEA catalog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
We have a Poggenpohl showroom about 4 blocks from us. I never been inside but I always look from the road. I have heard numerous times that a Poggenpoh kitchen cost about $10,000 a linear foot. I can not imagine that. Must be made of 24K gold.
I would be very curious how you would feel if you would enter the Poggenpohl store, maybe like a proud seller of glass pearls who enters for the first time of his life a jewelry store (hope that is not too rude).

Last edited by Gerald73; 01-22-2010 at 04:08 PM..

Old 01-22-2010, 03:02 PM

2,417 posts, read 2,989,141 times
Why do I never see refrigerators in the European kitchens? I don't see anything that could be disguising a tall fridge like ours. Are they in the lower cabinets? Drawers?

Old 01-22-2010, 03:26 PM

2 posts, read 5,684 times
Fridges in Europe have normally only the size of dishwashers. So they fit under the countertop. Only if you have fridge/freezer combos, they are stand-alones but never that large like here the side-by-side fridges. But I like the large fridges here.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:28 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
Why do I never see refrigerators in the European kitchens? I don't see anything that could be disguising a tall fridge like ours. Are they in the lower cabinets? Drawers?
For now: The German Way & More | The kitchen let me see if I can find some pictures

Old 01-22-2010, 03:37 PM

2,015 posts, read 3,381,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald73 View Post
Fridges in Europe have normally only the size of dishwashers. So they fit under the countertop. Only if you have fridge/freezer combos, they are stand-alones but never that large like here the side-by-side fridges. But I like the large fridges here.
If you don't have room in the UK you have an undercounter fridge. We have a house so have an undercounter fridge as well as a full size one in our laundry room. You can buy big American fridges, same as the US, but they are less common.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
For now: The German Way & More | The kitchen let me see if I can find some pictures
As you can see here, most of the time the refrigerator in European kitchen matches the kitchen cabinets:
Küchenzeilen / Küche / Räume / Möbel – OTTO–Online–Shop

http://www.lauth-kuechen.de/scripts/...thema/ambition

http://www.lauth-kuechen.de/scripts/...ema/avantgarde

http://www.lauth-kuechen.de/scripts/...sthema/faktura

Who needs a huge fridge anyway. Stuff gets old therelol

Last edited by elnina; 01-22-2010 at 04:18 PM..

Old 01-22-2010, 06:14 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
I could never live with those small refrigerators - "Who needs a huge fridge anyway?" People who have families and entertain. We have two refrigerators and there are only two of us....we use the extra fridge during the holidays and when we have dinner parties - which is often.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:31 PM

That's relative. In Europe people have kids and entertain too. They have just different habits when buying food. Also the packages are not that huge like here. Most of the people do daily or bi-weekly shopping and like everything fresh. Some don't like the way food taste after a week or two in the fridge. They probably eat less and buy less. What do I know? Different countries, different habits…
I never heard anyone complaining about the size of the refrigerator, though. Little, daily shopping will be done on the way from work. It takes only a few minutes to get a liter of milk, a loaf of bread, something to it – whatever the craving is. No need to take a car and drive to supermarket; a small neighborhood store has it all…
I never really saw anyone stuffing the shopping cart to the top ( carts are much smaller than here) except maybe for holidays or entertainment. Maybe they don’t live to eat but eat to live?
Gerald: what is your opinion??

Old 01-22-2010, 07:18 PM

33 posts, read 122,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
Most of the time when you redesign your kitchen in europe, both dish washer and fridge are integrated with the closets. THis means that you don't have a fridge that stands alone out of the whole kitchen. It does not mean you don't have water and ice distributors, it just means that it's hidden somewhere in the kitchen, and it looks cool..

Left Closed - Right Opened

Left Opened - Right Closed

Doesn't it look neat ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating