Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 07:06 AM

759 posts, read 3,143,808 times

Advertisements

I am updating my appliances, want to sell within the next 2 yrs. I already have a GE oven that is part stainless steel and part black, and a dishwasher that is stainless steel.

Where my refrigerator will go is a limited space both width and height. I need something less than 33 inches width and 68 inches height. I also have to get a side by side. I have a full door fridge now that doesn't open all the way becuase there is a cabinet that blocks it.

There aren't many choices in the stainless steel realm for this that are under $1200. It's strange that the smaller cubic feet refrigerators tend to be priced higher.

I was thinking of buying black since there sees to be more choices and cheaper. Would this turn off any of you as potential home buyers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 07:08 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,937,954 times
The house we bought didn't come with a refrigerator, so no.

Get what you like, take it with you when you go.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:36 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,111,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
I was thinking of buying black since there sees to be more choices and cheaper. Would this turn off any of you as potential home buyers?
In my area refrigerators (unless built-in) generally do not convey, so no.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:54 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Not me. I loathe stainless appliances.

And I'd be thrilled with buying a home that has a refrigerator that's only a couple of years old! What a luxury ...

Old 05-07-2010, 02:31 PM

171 posts, read 790,553 times
Where we live it seems to be about 60/40 - 60% take their fridge and about 40 convey. But that being said, pick what you like! I think black is great - as long as your cabinets are not white or ivory.

We had a similar situation in our new house where the prev. owners remodeled in the late 1980's and only left 32" for a fridge between the cabinets. I would be interested to know if you find a side-by-side that is under 35" wide because I searched high and low and never found one that small in ANY color. We had to get a usual top-freezer type.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:22 PM

759 posts, read 3,143,808 times
Okay, I think I might have found a solution. I was perusing my local Lowe's and saw smaller cubic feet fridges (under 17 ft). There is one here that would actually open without hitting my cabinet:

Whirlpool Satina Stainless Top Freezer Refrigerator - ET0MSLL

Is this too weird--will I look like Gulliver in the land of the Lilyputians with this smaller fridge?

Old 05-07-2010, 08:42 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
I think a side by side black would be better than that small top stainless refrigerator. A side by side is much better than a top freezer.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:00 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,980,249 times
I dunno about being "much better" ... personally, I prefer a top freezer - pizzas can actually fit.

Sears will have some. More specifically, check their outlets, which for some reason, tends to have a wider variety than what a local store would display.

Sears Outlet: Discount Appliances at 20-60% off Regular Retail Prices

A search around zip 60159 yields several candidates in the 21-23 cu.ft. side-by-sides.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:22 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
I dunno about being "much better" ... personally, I prefer a top freezer - pizzas can actually fit.
Funny. My girlfriend only buys side-by-sides because she thinks pizzas fit better in a side-by-side. She adjusts one shelf so pizzas can stack sideways on one shelf. Since they're not sitting on top of or under other food, she just pulls out and stores pizza without having to rearrange everything in the freezer each time.

The reason I hate top freezers is because I spend more time in the refrigerator, and I hate bending down to find things. The freezer isn't something I need to look at on a regular basis. Ideally, a bottom freezer is best for me, but I'd get a side-by-side before I'd get a top freezer if I couldn't afford a bottom freezer.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:53 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Funny, we just went refrigerator shopping this weekend and I was dead set on getting a bottom freezer -- until I tried reaching to the very back of the top shelf of the freezer.

Both of us agreed that a top freezer was easier to get in and out of because, when you're bending down to get the produce out of the fridge drawers vs. bending down to get the ice out of the ice maker, there's more head clearance on a bottom refrigerator than a bottom freezer to see what you're doing, and to reach into the back of the shelves.

With my short arms and bad knees, I couldn't squat down to peer into the back of the freezer, much less reach the back of the bottom freezer's top shelf. No problem with that in the bottom fridge.

We bought the top freezer. Oh, and it's black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating