Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2018, 10:58 AM

17,206 posts, read 15,404,507 times

Advertisements

I copied the reply below from a thread about an Odyssey, but figured I'd post in a new thread since maybe I can get a better response from fellow Acura/Accord V6 owners...

Below is someone's response to an Odyssey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
Sounds like your transmission is going out on you. Try to get the fluid on it changed ASAP.

If the car shifts fine when its cold then it loses power or slips when the vehicle has warmed up then the tranny is going bad. Try changing the pressure switches and replacing the fluid.
My Acura does this. Just so I know (I know my way around cars for the most part, but don't know much about the internals of an auto trans...) what exactly is going on? Why is it that on a cold start it's fine but when warmed it's not? Mine right now works great when cold, shifts fine through all gears. But then when it's warm, Park works, but all the gears act like its in neutral. I don't feel anything at all when going from Park to any of the gears. I thought when there's a slip, you'd still feel it going into gear? Just no movement when RPMs go up?
My guess was that something is clogged, and so fluid is unable to go through whatever port it needs to go through.
Thoughts? Ideas?

FYI, I did a drain and fill of the transmission over the weekend. There was a whine before I did it. Now it sounds fine. The fluid change seems to have taken care of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 09:40 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,507,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I copied the reply below from a thread about an Odyssey, but figured I'd post in a new thread since maybe I can get a better response from fellow Acura/Accord V6 owners...

Below is someone's response to an Odyssey.

My Acura does this. Just so I know (I know my way around cars for the most part, but don't know much about the internals of an auto trans...) what exactly is going on? Why is it that on a cold start it's fine but when warmed it's not? Mine right now works great when cold, shifts fine through all gears. But then when it's warm, Park works, but all the gears act like its in neutral. I don't feel anything at all when going from Park to any of the gears. I thought when there's a slip, you'd still feel it going into gear? Just no movement when RPMs go up?
My guess was that something is clogged, and so fluid is unable to go through whatever port it needs to go through.
Thoughts? Ideas?

FYI, I did a drain and fill of the transmission over the weekend. There was a whine before I did it. Now it sounds fine. The fluid change seems to have taken care of it.
Heat is the killer of transmissions which is what it drives fine when cold but slips when its warmed up. That usually means that the transmission fluid has gone bad, worn down, old etc. Normally if its stats doing that then you need to start saving up for a rebuild. But ive heard of some people solving the issue by changing the transmission fluid.

On Honda/Acura vehicle you should drain the transmission three times (3x3.) to totally clear out of all the fluid that is in the torque converter. So you would just do a drain and refill (3 qts), three separate times driving like 100-200 miles before each fluid change.

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura