Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2023, 03:53 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,757,953 times

Advertisements

Hi! I originally made a post in the personal finance section to see if trading this Accord in is a poor financial decision or if it makes sense. So far it makes sense to trade it in.

I never thought I would be facing all these mechanical issues in a Honda within the first three years of owning it. So I figured I'll post here to get some insight.

So I purchased my 2020 Honda Accord brand new in March of 2020. The first problem was a noise going over speed bumps, and so I made an appointment with the dealership to have it checked out. What they found was both the front driver side and passenger side struts were broken and needed replacement. I had to leave the car with them as they said driving it wasn't safe. The dealership covered the repairs under warranty and gave me a free rental.

About 6 months after that I took the car back to the dealership for another noise, and this time it tuned out to be the front control arms, which was replaced under warranty.

Two or three months later the fuel pump went out and then the battery went, all within a month of each other.

Fast forward to sometime in 2022 when more noises could be heard coming from the rear section of the vehicle while driving on slightly rough roads. The dealership then replaced the rear shocks and struts.

Everything was fine until around April of 2023, when the passenger rear struts and CV boots once again needed replacing. This time the warranty had expired. Honda agreed to a goodwill repair assistance, which covered half the cost and was around $1000 on my end.

Then this weekend I took my Accord into the dealership because it was making a creaking noise while turning the steering wheel. My service advisor told me that it was the driver side front strut, that needs replacing, again. This repair will cost me around $1200.

I am currently awaiting on what Honda will say in terms of another goodwill repair assistance but was told that there is no guarantee they will help as they had already helped with the last repair.

I did notice that my A/C was making noises and wasn't producing cold air. I decided to take it to an independent A/C shop and was told that the compressor was leaking slightly and producing the noise, which was a good indicator that it will soon go.

Is this car even worth it to keep? I have around $6k left on it before it is paid off. I am worried that it will continue to break down, costing me thousands of $$ in repairs, and sooner rather than later. A 3 year old car shouldn't be having these issues.

I should also add, that I baby this car. I avoid potholes whenever I can. I have never hit a curb and don not drive off-road with it either. I thought this car was going to be one in which I pay off and drive for 15 years, but I guess not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2023, 04:08 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
You might want to search for an active web forum devoted to Hondas/Accords to see what their take might be. They might dig into the details more and might have insights about trading it in. What about this one?

https://www.driveaccord.net/forums/

Old 09-18-2023, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
You might want to search for an active web forum devoted to Hondas/Accords to see what their take might be. They might dig into the details more and might have insights about trading it in. What about this one?

https://www.driveaccord.net/forums/
Got it thank you.

Old 09-18-2023, 09:56 PM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Breaking struts and shocks normally isn't easy - are any of the roads you routinely drive on, especially if you're driving fast... a little rough?

Old 09-19-2023, 06:56 AM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Breaking struts and shocks normally isn't easy - are any of the roads you routinely drive on, especially if you're driving fast... a little rough?
Yeah, those are parts that are really hard to break in normal driving or even occasional abnormal driving.

Old 09-19-2023, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Well sure. The roads aren't perfect, but they aren't crater strewn either. I've lived in this area for ten years. My Accord is the only vehicle I have had this issue with.

Old 09-19-2023, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yeah, those are parts that are really hard to break in normal driving or even occasional abnormal driving.
Yep. I have been driving for over twenty years. I have lived in areas that had very very rough roads, and never had I needed to replace one shock or strut. I think my car simply wasn't built correctly or something.

Old 09-19-2023, 07:42 AM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Well sure. The roads aren't perfect, but they aren't crater strewn either. I've lived in this area for ten years. My Accord is the only vehicle I have had this issue with.
It sounds as though the first sets were flawed. Now, what made the replacement struts do the exact same thing?

Old 09-19-2023, 08:28 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
A quick strut assembly on RockAuto is $92, and this dealer wants $1200 to replace it?

Anyways, if it's creaking it's probably not the strut itself, but rather the rubber bushing in the mount.

Old 09-19-2023, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It sounds as though the first sets were flawed. Now, what made the replacement struts do the exact same thing?
I have no idea. All I know is that I have invoices from the dealership that says the parts were replaced. I brought it in with loud noises when I drive the car and the noises are gone once the dealership replaced the parts. I mean, maybe they aren't really replacing the parts? Maybe they are just fixing them as a short term repair? I have no idea and I'm not even sure taking it to another mechanic would help uncover if Honda is lying about replacing them. Besides, it would be hard to prove and honestly, I don't have the time, energy or patience to do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura