Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 12:18 PM

7 posts, read 22,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
What's the problem?
****! I forgot to mention that my two service boxes are rated 100 amp and I wanted to know, based on what I have in the home, if the boxes are sized right or should they be upgraded. Sorry for the confusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 12:20 PM

Smile Elmer Borneman

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Those sound like sub-panels. The main cutoff on manufactured homes is typically outside near the meter. You won't wake up dead.
Sorry for the confusion. I wanted to know if my 100 amp boxes are sufficient for the job.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:04 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer Borneman View Post
I wanted to know if my 100 amp boxes are sufficient for the job.
As said... go back to the THIRD panel (first really) and see how many amps it is.
If it is also 100A... you're on the edge.

Either way this sort of concern warrants qualified people on site.
Ask around for a trusted electrician. Yeah, he'll want to be paid.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:50 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,296,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
a load calculation determines service size.
This is the answer! I forget how to do it, but was taught at one time.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:26 PM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Just looked at my own. 3 year old, 1500sq ft home. 150Amp.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:23 AM

Manufactured homes come fully electrified and normally come with just the one floor layout. My main panel is 100 amp. The basement was prepared ahead of time by the original owner. Once the home was set up he wired the finished basement (110 amp panel.) So, we have two panels but the principal one (that came with the home) runs everything on the main floor
I really wanted to know if my panels were the right size for what I have. I apologize for the incomplete info I supplied earlier.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:55 AM

Smile Elmer B.

Quote:
Those sound like sub-panels. The main cutoff on manufactured homes is typically outside near the meter. You won't wake up dead.
My modified home (old one) has the meter (new smart meter) attached to the addition (porch) at the entrance. I see no cut-off switch, just the smart meter.
My question concerned 100 amp meters. I have one on the main floor and another in the finished basement (modified homes seldom come with basements - this was an add-on before the home was installed.
The 100 amp panel (main floor) handles the normal electrical equipment (stove, fridge, washer and dryer, hot water tank.) The furnace is propane.
The basement 100 amp panel takes care of two freezers, one (beer) fridge, computer, printer. There is an extension to the carpenter shop outside.
So, are my inside 100 amp panels withing the safety zone?
tks / eb

Old 11-25-2013, 10:28 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer Borneman View Post
My modified home (old one) has the meter (new smart meter) attached to the addition (porch) at the entrance. I see no cut-off switch, just the smart meter.
My question concerned 100 amp meters. (Did you mean panels?) I have one on the main floor and another in the finished basement (modified homes seldom come with basements - this was an add-on before the home was installed.
The 100 amp panel (main floor) handles the normal electrical equipment (stove, fridge, washer and dryer, hot water tank.) The furnace is propane.
The basement 100 amp panel takes care of two freezers, one (beer) fridge, computer, printer. There is an extension to the carpenter shop outside.
So, are my inside 100 amp panels withing the safety zone?
tks / eb
Your loads are not exceptional, although I note you didn't include air conditioning. From that point, yeah, you are likely not pulling more than your wiring can handle. That doesn't mean that your system is fully safe or to code. A master breaker or cut-off allows a quick disconnect of the entire system in case of problems. You likely have one panel being fed from the other, rather than both going to the entrance. Depending on how many circuits are on the sub-panel, the wire going from the main panel to it may be undersized. The extension to the carpenter shop may or may not be a problem. Shops can draw a lot of power. Many of the issues can only be properly diagnosed by an electrician on-site.

I look at stuff like this differently than most people. I don't have homeowner insurance. My insurance is my being over-protective and super-vigilant and avoiding any possible situation that could damage the place. The cost of having an electrician to come out and inspect vs. the cost of a place burning down is chump change, even if you HAVE insurance.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:29 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,449,469 times
Quote:
Your loads are not exceptional, although I note you didn't include air conditioning. From that point, yeah, you are likely not pulling more than your wiring can handle. That doesn't mean that your system is fully safe or to code. A master breaker or cut-off allows a quick disconnect of the entire system in case of problems. You likely have one panel being fed from the other, rather than both going to the entrance. Depending on how many circuits are on the sub-panel, the wire going from the main panel to it may be undersized. The extension to the carpenter shop may or may not be a problem. Shops can draw a lot of power. Many of the issues can only be properly diagnosed by an electrician on-site.

I look at stuff like this differently than most people. I don't have homeowner insurance. My insurance is my being over-protective and super-vigilant and avoiding any possible situation that could damage the place. The cost of having an electrician to come out and inspect vs. the cost of a place burning down is chump change, even if you HAVE insurance.
Just my opinion..... I guess that having utter control over everything in life must be grand.... I wouldn't know. The random lightning bolt, the whatever... insurance is a necessary evil. I hate paying for it as anyone else does, but to protect assets (or umbrella, in case I am stupid as I usually am)... Tell me how it feels when the $50K Persian ends up looking like something left in the toaster too long... (no implication on lifestyle nor assets meant here).
In one way, I am very much like you... I trust no one but myself to do something right (unless it comes down to artistic or creative ventures, where I fail miserably), but I also realize that there are things beyond my control.. (hey, that squirrel just chewed through all the insulation on that wire), and thus insurance is a necessity.
Back to the 150A vs. 200A service topic. Can't provide any help here, as we always had 400A, and made our own (pseudo) 3-phase with an idler motor because bringing true 3-phase in from the street was ridiculously expensive.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:57 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Just my opinion..... I guess that having utter control over everything in life must be grand.... I wouldn't know. The random lightning bolt, the whatever... insurance is a necessary evil. I hate paying for it as anyone else does, but to protect assets (or umbrella, in case I am stupid as I usually am)... Tell me how it feels when the $50K Persian ends up looking like something left in the toaster too long... (no implication on lifestyle nor assets meant here).
In one way, I am very much like you... I trust no one but myself to do something right (unless it comes down to artistic or creative ventures, where I fail miserably), but I also realize that there are things beyond my control.. (hey, that squirrel just chewed through all the insulation on that wire), and thus insurance is a necessity.
Back to the 150A vs. 200A service topic. Can't provide any help here, as we always had 400A, and made our own (pseudo) 3-phase with an idler motor because bringing true 3-phase in from the street was ridiculously expensive.
LOL! Tell me how that $50K Persian looks like when the market changes and it ends up as a $5K Persian (painted Saruk) Been there. Got the squirrels covered, unless they like gnawing through concrete block or Hardie board, and then dodging my 22. There is a percentage chance of a problem, in the worst case I would kick a renter out of my other place when their lease came up for renewal. The combination of insurance cost, the outrageous exclusions they wanted, AND their demands for me to do things the way THEY wanted rather than the way I wanted made me tell 'em to take a long hike off a short plank. Being self-employed and having even catastrophic health insurance takes my budget to the edge as is. Such is life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House