Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 05:21 PM

450 posts, read 5,025,852 times

Advertisements

So we had some new flooring installed in the basement. To smooth out the concrete, the contractors drilled out some bumps in the concrete, patched it, and then used a propane torch to dry it before proceeding.

Later in the day I noticed one of them carrying the propane torch to their truck to put it away, and it was dripping a fluid (propane?) out of its nozzle. I am concerned that this fluid is propane, and that it got on the concrete and now the floor is covering it. Or that it got on the floor itself, because they were careless.

The workers didn't speak English, so I couldn't ask them. If it was propane, what are the consequences if it got on the concrete before the flooring was put down, or if it got on the new flooring itself. I'm worried that it's still in liquid form and flammable, or will have an odor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 06:57 PM

17,482 posts, read 66,180,698 times
It's long gone. Propane is a gas by nature.

Propane - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-10-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
It's long gone. Propane is a gas by nature.

Propane - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for your response, but what was dripping out of the nozzle of the propane torch? Not pouring out, but dripping out? It was about 95 degrees out as he was walking to his truck.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:30 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,906,212 times
The propane in the tank is compressed to make it a liquid. The valve wasn't closed tight and it leaked out, thus dripped. It turned into a gas as soon as it was no longer compressed. It's gone.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:44 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,560,073 times
It could also have been water. Water condenses in and on the tank due to the cold temps generated by the propane turning from a liquid to a gas. It could have formed on the torch and you saw it drip off. It too has evaporated by now.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
The propane in the tank is compressed to make it a liquid. The valve wasn't closed tight and it leaked out, thus dripped. It turned into a gas as soon as it was no longer compressed. It's gone.
Thanks for your response. So if the propane did drip out onto the concrete slab, and/or planks of my laminate flooring, how long would it stay a liquid?

Also, would it ruin, discolor, or otherwise alter my flooring if it did drip on there?

Old 08-12-2010, 11:14 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,906,212 times
No. Your making a mountain out of a molehill. It was either condensation water or the propane. Propane is only a liquid when under pressure...hence when it hits the air....no pressure. It evaporates immediatly. The water is condensation and dries. It's cleaner water than you get from a tap or bottled water.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:39 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,922,272 times
It was water. Propane woudl not remain in liquid form long enough to hit the ground. Burning propane or natural gas always results in some water. It has to do with compressed air or gasses. Try bruning a propane torch for a while, you will see water drip out. Run a compressor and then empty the tanks - water comes out. I do not know the science of it, but I do know that releasing compressed gasses result in water. This might be why water comes out of your car's exhuast pipe as well

Old 08-12-2010, 12:51 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,509,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
It was water. Propane woudl not remain in liquid form long enough to hit the ground.
Correct answer right here.

And, I propose that the water was condensation on the tank which became ice cold as the propane was used. When the propane valve is opened and the gas escapes from the tank, the tank cools, sometimes to the point where it is too cold to hold. WAter condensed on the tank and froze around the top of the tank and then what the OP saw was that frost melting off the tank.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:50 PM

22,636 posts, read 47,782,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass101 View Post
Thanks for your response. So if the propane did drip out onto the concrete slab, and/or planks of my laminate flooring, how long would it stay a liquid?
For less time than it took you to type that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass101 View Post
Also, would it ruin, discolor, or otherwise alter my flooring if it did drip on there?
No... especially because propane did not drip there. It was long gone before it could hit the ground.

Seriously... no need to worry!
This happened two days ago. Why don't you take a look for yourself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House