Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 01:28 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have recommendations for best way to upgrade a small bthrm? I want to replace a sink/fixtures, and have wall knocked out and add small shower stall. The bathrm has sink and commode, but needs shower. (No room for tub).

Bathfitters has a nice shower stall thing...how hard is it to do this if you have someone to help do-it-yourself? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 03:54 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Might want to consider the return on investment...

If you are doing this just because you want it that is one thing,but if you hope to increase the value of your home for resale a small shower is not the way to go. If you need to move walls to get this done anyway migt as well go with a larger shower. Costs for the up-sizing are minor.

Alterations plumbing will need permit and inspection in most areas. This is probably NOT a good DIY project unless you have experience with drywall, tile, electrical, plumbing -- bathrooms usually involve all of it!

Budget for something like this starts around 5 grand and can easily go triple or more...

Old 09-02-2010, 02:53 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
If you are doing this just because you want it that is one thing,but if you hope to increase the value of your home for resale a small shower is not the way to go. If you need to move walls to get this done anyway migt as well go with a larger shower. Costs for the up-sizing are minor.

Alterations plumbing will need permit and inspection in most areas. This is probably NOT a good DIY project unless you have experience with drywall, tile, electrical, plumbing -- bathrooms usually involve all of it!

Budget for something like this starts around 5 grand and can easily go triple or more...
Also, if the bathroom is first floor and sits on a slab your $5,000 is spent before you say "GO".

Old 09-05-2010, 09:21 AM

no its upstairs, i have a full basement. Doing it for self...not selling for now...but yes I know its something that needs consideration. Lol and the owners before me put the sinks cold water fixture on left, hot on right...never heard of that....? I just finished redoing the larger master bath as well. Also what suggestions do you have for flooring? Its a small space, Id be ripping out the cheap linoleum. Thanks for any ideas.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:51 PM

Default Bathroom flooring? Tile!

I know there are those that like wood or bamboo, but unless there is a dressing area / walk-in closet involved I say stick to tile. Heck even with the closet / dressing area situation if you do not use tile around the commode and shower the long term result is not going to be good.

Range of tile colors, styles, prices can can give you are long desire / afford, try to shy away from the ultra trendy for best ROI.

Even I am shocked at how the over look changes with grout decisions -- width, color, finish all can transform a ho-hum tile job to something that really looks first class. If there is any thought that maintenance will be an issue you can look toward the more "buff" or lighter earth toned trouts and the tiles that go with it-- this is a trick that many of the hotels have used to minimize need to worries about staining ....

Old 09-05-2010, 07:34 PM

238 posts, read 617,288 times
radiant heat flooring under tile. it's a diy project

Old 09-05-2010, 10:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
no its upstairs, i have a full basement. Doing it for self...not selling for now...but yes I know its something that needs consideration. Lol and the owners before me put the sinks cold water fixture on left, hot on right...never heard of that....? I just finished redoing the larger master bath as well. Also what suggestions do you have for flooring? Its a small space, Id be ripping out the cheap linoleum. Thanks for any ideas.
If it is o the second floor ;I would not recommend doing it yourself unless you are very good with plumbng. A leak in a second floor bathroom can really be a mess causing alot of damage.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I know there are those that like wood or bamboo, but unless there is a dressing area / walk-in closet involved I say stick to tile. Heck even with the closet / dressing area situation if you do not use tile around the commode and shower the long term result is not going to be good.

Range of tile colors, styles, prices can can give you are long desire / afford, try to shy away from the ultra trendy for best ROI.

Even I am shocked at how the over look changes with grout decisions -- width, color, finish all can transform a ho-hum tile job to something that really looks first class. If there is any thought that maintenance will be an issue you can look toward the more "buff" or lighter earth toned trouts and the tiles that go with it-- this is a trick that many of the hotels have used to minimize need to worries about staining ....
Thanks. Home depot has nice tile and good selection. Had a professional install the sub-floor, and so far its going well. The earth tones are nice, like saturnia.

Do you recommend any brand of sink/vanity? Had to rip out old style vanity, they have some modern glass pedestal sinks which look nice....what would you recommend? Need something with mass appeal and that is minimalist (space saver). Thanks.

Last edited by dreamofmonterey; 09-21-2010 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 09-21-2010, 03:37 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
We took a tiny bathroom and built a really nice shower stall. The shower stall is not more than 3' by 3', maybe another 6' or so, but it is a small space, plus another 24" for the bench. Since we did nto insal a pre-fab unit, there is no loss of space behind the enclosure. The plumbing is in the wall and comes out through the tile. The entire thing is tiled floor to cieling (including the cileing). Thre is a really big drain in the center. There is a tiled bench in one wall so ladies can sit to shave their legs. There are built in tile shelves on another wall. They are built IN to the wall rather than sticking out. We put in an antique reproduction sunflower shower head (24" with lots of holes, kind of like standing in a waterfall) and it has a handheld sprayer as well. The door is narrow and has a curtain. There is enough space that you can comfortable towel off after showering without dripping all over the rest of the bathroom. We have hooks inthe entry tot he shower where we can hang our towel and clothing and just dress in the shower, thus you walk out mostly dressed. We love it, the kids line up to use our bathroom becuase they like that shower so much. They will wait 20 minutes for a shower even though we have three other bathrooms.

Some people say that the sunflower heads waste water, but you rinse off a lot faster, so I am not sure that water usage is much higher than a lame watersaver shower head. I can usually shower in 4 minutes if I hurry. Your entire body rinses off almost instantly. Plus it makes the California type shower really easy (wet down, turn off shower, soap up, turn on shower and rinse.). We also love the valves, it has the better 1/4 turn valves so you simply flip the lever and "viola" - waterfall.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:54 PM

Default Doing for "model home" or day-in-day-out?

I know those tiny little sinks look good in the showroom, and even for a open house. I have talked to a more than a fee people who have to live with 'em every morning and all of them say get something that has more "splash room" - it gets old feeling like you are in the lavatory of a discount airline...

Also should note that BATHROOM storage is getting very high on people lists. I know it is hard to give up too much floor space for some monster, but since they keep coming up with new devices to make ones teeth stay in your head longer, new wands for woman to make their hair look smooth and new potions for everything people like to have some place to stash the stuff.

Linen closets are also very high on the list of bathroom upgrades this year. I guess clean towels need a home too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House