Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 11:18 AM

24 posts, read 87,364 times

Advertisements

$20K upgrade is too much for standard off the shelf cabinets. You can do some really nice custom cabinets for the price range you are talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 05:57 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Here's a couple of studys you might be interested in:

J.D.Power and Associates - Press Release
J.D.Power and Associates - Press Release

Granted, this isn't the gospel- but they certainly has their merits.
I do generally trust JD Power but I have a problem with this rating. They have Armstrong as #1 ?!?!?!?! While a good box I don't know why it is first since 90% of their cabinets are in apartments and not often in homes.

Mills Pride junk is not even being made anymore. If they merged or were sold to another company then they ain't telling so we don't know who is making Mills Pride anymore

Kitchencraft and American Woodmark deserve to be up the top of the list. I like them both.

My beloved Merillat down in 6th place? Well as the largest and oldest cabinet company on earth I guess there are bound to be bigger numbers good and bad.

Kraftmaid takes 5th? Well since one if the top largest retailers, the big orange who only wants your little green pushes this brand, it's bound to get good ratings.

Why is Quality number 2? It's a piece of junk. Just very very cheap cabinets. Not horrible but just a no frills basic box.

Now for the real deal. Quality, Merilat and Kraftmaid (and Mills Pride where ever they are) are all made by Masco Companies. In fact they are all converting components so they are all interchangeable with eachother.

Aristokraft is a real good cabinet. Decora is an ugly piece of junk. Decora is mostly modern boxy look which you seem to want. Not very common in the west but certainly not unheard of. That look appeals to design magazine readers and Interior Designers but not the vast majority of homeowners. That look is loved in Europe and not the west but we here generally hate their modern full overlay look and prefer the partial overlay door style. I know I sure do.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:59 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
OP lives in Vienna, VA. Upscale Washington, DC metro. If she needs to sell, she's going to have a sophisticated buyer. The design magazine readers you disparage, desertsun41. Also, this is an age thing. Younger buyers, esp. on the East Coast, like the more modern look.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:40 AM

12 posts, read 111,574 times
Thanks, Jukesgrrl. I'm looking more for advice on quality of cabinets, rather than look. I actually like the Decora look better, but I wouldn't consider it if it's poor quality.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:10 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,238,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I do generally trust JD Power but I have a problem with this rating. They have Armstrong as #1 ?!?!?!?! While a good box I don't know why it is first since 90% of their cabinets are in apartments and not often in homes.

Mills Pride junk is not even being made anymore. If they merged or were sold to another company then they ain't telling so we don't know who is making Mills Pride anymore

Kitchencraft and American Woodmark deserve to be up the top of the list. I like them both.

My beloved Merillat down in 6th place? Well as the largest and oldest cabinet company on earth I guess there are bound to be bigger numbers good and bad.

Kraftmaid takes 5th? Well since one if the top largest retailers, the big orange who only wants your little green pushes this brand, it's bound to get good ratings.

Why is Quality number 2? It's a piece of junk. Just very very cheap cabinets. Not horrible but just a no frills basic box.

Now for the real deal. Quality, Merilat and Kraftmaid (and Mills Pride where ever they are) are all made by Masco Companies. In fact they are all converting components so they are all interchangeable with eachother.

Aristokraft is a real good cabinet. Decora is an ugly piece of junk. Decora is mostly modern boxy look which you seem to want. Not very common in the west but certainly not unheard of. That look appeals to design magazine readers and Interior Designers but not the vast majority of homeowners. That look is loved in Europe and not the west but we here generally hate their modern full overlay look and prefer the partial overlay door style. I know I sure do.
Quality is not junk, their basic Woodstar series is, but a mildly upgraded Quality cabinet is not bad.

As for the OP, unless you have crazy money, how the heck can you justify that much for a cabinet upgrade? Do you know how many homeowners I come across tell me they wish they just got the basic cabs? They cost more and in some cases, the more exotic the wood, the harder to take care of.....

Old 09-26-2010, 07:00 PM

12 posts, read 111,574 times
Let me ask the question back to the group... What is a reasonable price to upgrade from Aristocraft ("select" line) to Decora for a 17'x15' kitchen with a large island?

Old 09-27-2010, 09:29 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViennaVAMom View Post
Let me ask the question back to the group... What is a reasonable price to upgrade from Aristocraft ("select" line) to Decora for a 17'x15' kitchen with a large island?
Decora is not an upgrade. It is not a good box. If you want to argue it then I ask where's the face frame on Decora? I rest my case.

No one can answer your question. It's like asking a reasonable price to upgrade from your 3 bed 2 bath house to a 5 bed 4 bath house 5 states away.

It also depends on how much the dealer is soaking you. If you are paying list price or MSRP then you are being raped. If you are buying from the big box stores, they charge full list price and they are raping you. If you buy properly you should be buying from a dealer who discounts which is most of them.

Aristocraft is a good box. Trust me. Solidly built, great warranty, nice choice of colors and door styles and made in America and is KCMA certified. Decora is also American made. Not KCMA certified, good warranty, is a sister brand of a great cabinet line called Mastercraft. I just don't like their selections, not very stylish really.

If you have other choices, take a look at Merillat, Cardell, Kraftmaid to name a few. I'm very partial to Merillat. It's still best in my book.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:33 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViennaVAMom View Post

You've asked a half question-
What a reasonable price- "Upgrade" from Aristo' to Decora;
are we talking construction/materials or finishes/styles?

I tend to favor construction/materials over finishes/styles- which I think ds was trying to construe. But, I think I "hear" what's a reasonable price to pay for Decora's finishes/styles. That answer will truly be your decision. Does one "function" better than another; or have more options. Does the "style" go with the overall style of the home? You have to live with it- not us.
And the "reasonable" part- Again, as ds said, no one here at CD can answer that question- it's your pocketbook. The only reasonable answer you will get is not reason but, opinion, conjecture, and disagreement.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:58 AM

1 posts, read 5,260 times
Default Decora - what are you talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Decora is not an upgrade. It is not a good box. If you want to argue it then I ask where's the face frame on Decora? I rest my case.

No one can answer your question. It's like asking a reasonable price to upgrade from your 3 bed 2 bath house to a 5 bed 4 bath house 5 states away.

It also depends on how much the dealer is soaking you. If you are paying list price or MSRP then you are being raped. If you are buying from the big box stores, they charge full list price and they are raping you. If you buy properly you should be buying from a dealer who discounts which is most of them.

Aristocraft is a good box. Trust me. Solidly built, great warranty, nice choice of colors and door styles and made in America and is KCMA certified. Decora is also American made. Not KCMA certified, good warranty, is a sister brand of a great cabinet line called Mastercraft. I just don't like their selections, not very stylish really.

If you have other choices, take a look at Merillat, Cardell, Kraftmaid to name a few. I'm very partial to Merillat. It's still best in my book.
desertsun41 - Decora is ABSOLUTELY an upgrade to Aristokraft with an all plywood box standard and has a face frame, so I have no idea where you are getting your information, but it is incorrect. Before you make these types of statements, get your facts straight. Decora has excellent quality with a lifetime warranty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House