Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2010, 08:31 AM

266 posts, read 1,161,963 times

Advertisements

When the dryer is running, it sounds almost like someone is doing a snare drum roll! It's a dull metallic sound, very rhythmic, and rather loud.

Ideas/solutions????
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 08:57 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,982,118 times
I'm leaning towards one of the rollers/bearings. Run it empty - if the noise is still there, then it confirms that.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:24 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,543,192 times
If it's not the rollers/bearings mentioned above, I'd then check the tension pulley on the dryer belt. In any case, all are easy DIY fixes once you get the parts. Also, it might be a good time to replace the belt as a preventive measure.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:57 PM

266 posts, read 1,161,963 times
this is the GE DBXR463ed1WW
No belt - no rollers.
Apparently uses front mounted glides.
But when I stick my head in the drum, it sounds like the noise is coming from the rear of the machine.
Oh, and the noise could almost be described as a loud "clicking" - the click speeds up/slows down and gains volume with the speed of the revolution of the drum.
Ideas????

Old 10-08-2010, 03:10 PM

468 posts, read 1,541,971 times
I don't know about your particular dryer, but here's what happens to mine.

The drum is bolted to a plate that, in turn, is connected to a spindle. That spindle is covered by a metal cover that is accessible from the backside of the dryer.

Every now and then that spindle will start to squeak. I have to spray it with some spray lube and it will be fine for several weeks.

I know you said yours is "clicking" rather than squeaking. But, look for a metal cover on the back of your dryer. If you have one it will probably be held onto the dryer case by two metal screws.

Pull your dryer out where you can get to the back of it. Start it up, and put your ear to that metal cover. Does the clicking sound like it's coming from behind that cover? If so you can remove it and spray that spindle with some spray lube.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:04 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,543,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasstec View Post
this is the GE DBXR463ed1WW
No belt - no rollers.
Apparently uses front mounted glides.
But when I stick my head in the drum, it sounds like the noise is coming from the rear of the machine.
Oh, and the noise could almost be described as a loud "clicking" - the click speeds up/slows down and gains volume with the speed of the revolution of the drum.
Ideas????
That sounds like a bearing. Here's a link to a parts supply:

"GE DBXR463ed1WW" Parts from RepairClinic.com

You might need a bearing kit. There are other places you can order parts online and some are cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House