Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 10:16 AM

1,379 posts, read 3,920,159 times

Advertisements

Hi -- I've got a really small laundry room ... so small in fact that it's tough to take a good picture of it ... and I need to install either some cabinets or shelves for storage.

Cabinets are aesthetically better, but I really need something to hang clothes on when I take them out of the dryer ... so maybe those wire shelves are the best bet functionally speaking.

Or I could put some shelving on the back wall and put one of those tension rods toward the front of the space to hang clothes on.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 10:18 AM

Oops, forgot the picture.Looking for ideas on laundry room space-124_2421.jpg

Old 10-09-2010, 10:23 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,009,296 times
Wow, it's small but tall. You could do cabinets and add a rod below, or do a split of cabinet and then rod across the same level.
Is this for hanging dry or wet clothes?

I have a small laundry space too, and I have cabinets and across and below them i have pull out drying line that connects to hang drip drying and I put a towel on top of the washer dryer to catch the drips.

For hanging dry dress shirts and stuff I mounted a folding hanging rack to the side walls (one on each side) like this:

http://www.containerstore.com/shop?p...64&Ntt=laundry

Last edited by bellalunatic; 10-09-2010 at 10:32 AM..

Old 10-09-2010, 10:30 AM

970 posts, read 2,968,093 times
What you really should consider, is moving the laundry area to the basement. While it may be costly (with gas or electric hookups, water, etc., should cost maybe $500-$1000), but it will be worth it in the long run. That's what I did with my old home, and plan to do it with my new one.

You can make your new laundry area as large as you prefer, which you may need, considering how limited your space is in your current setup. And then you can have as many wire shelves and cabinets as you want!

As for the space that used to be your laundry room, you can do whatever you want with it. I made mine a pantry, due to its close proximity to the kitchen. Whatever you want to do!

Old 10-09-2010, 11:32 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,943,410 times
This is what was done in one of my rentals. It's actually a house that I lived in, and then I bought another one turning the old one into a rental.

It has a laundry area similar to yours. The space was the width of a standard washer and dryer sitting next to each other, as it appears in your laudry.

You would get two cabinets. One would be a standard height cabinet (tall) and the other would be size you often see installed above a refigerator. I don't know exactly what the size would be. You can figure out what works for you, but let's call it 1/4 or 1/3 as tall as a standard height cabinet.

You would mount one on the left and the other on the right with their tops even. It'll look like a capital L on its side with the leg of the L hanging down. Of course, install them well so they go wall to wall.

Then, mount a hanging rod from the side of taller cabinet and extend it to the wall. It'll be beneath the shorter cabinet. It can either be one of those cheaper tension rods or you can do it nice with a permanently mounted rod. It's up to you, just mount the cabinets high enough to give hanging room above the washer or dryer.

This way you have the best of both worlds. You have a place to hang damp clothes and you have a place to put all the stuff you don't want to see. It can be done nice and it'll look good.

One last thing . . . I suppose it doesn't matter a lot about the location of the hanging rod if you have front loading machines. However, if you have a top loading washer, I would put the shorter cabinet and rod above the dryer. That way the washer lid won't hit the hanging clothes.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:37 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
Garth's idea is good. If you have any floor space at all on either side (or in between) your washer and dryer, consider one of these items. I got mine at Target for about $35. This one is a bit more expensive, but the hanging rod is adjustable for height. I like being able to sort my clothes and hang things to dry in 18 inches of space.
Kmart Online Shopping for home accessories, TVs, clothing, and more

Old 10-10-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
What you really should consider, is moving the laundry area to the basement.
Ha! I just moved it upstairs so I don't have to keep walking up and down the stairs all the time. I'll take the smaller room over the greater distance, but thanks.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garth View Post
This is what was done in one of my rentals. It's actually a house that I lived in, and then I bought another one turning the old one into a rental.

It has a laundry area similar to yours. The space was the width of a standard washer and dryer sitting next to each other, as it appears in your laudry.

You would get two cabinets. One would be a standard height cabinet (tall) and the other would be size you often see installed above a refigerator. I don't know exactly what the size would be. You can figure out what works for you, but let's call it 1/4 or 1/3 as tall as a standard height cabinet.

You would mount one on the left and the other on the right with their tops even. It'll look like a capital L on its side with the leg of the L hanging down. Of course, install them well so they go wall to wall.

Then, mount a hanging rod from the side of taller cabinet and extend it to the wall. It'll be beneath the shorter cabinet. It can either be one of those cheaper tension rods or you can do it nice with a permanently mounted rod. It's up to you, just mount the cabinets high enough to give hanging room above the washer or dryer.

This way you have the best of both worlds. You have a place to hang damp clothes and you have a place to put all the stuff you don't want to see. It can be done nice and it'll look good.

One last thing . . . I suppose it doesn't matter a lot about the location of the hanging rod if you have front loading machines. However, if you have a top loading washer, I would put the shorter cabinet and rod above the dryer. That way the washer lid won't hit the hanging clothes.
Excellent idea! Unfortunately, I gave up and just went with the ugly wire racks that you can hang clothes on. Ah well, it's just the laundry room, but that is a good idea.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Garth's idea is good. If you have any floor space at all on either side (or in between) your washer and dryer, consider one of these items. I got mine at Target for about $35. This one is a bit more expensive, but the hanging rod is adjustable for height. I like being able to sort my clothes and hang things to dry in 18 inches of space.
Kmart Online Shopping for home accessories, TVs, clothing, and more
Thanks . . . not enough space for that, but appreciate the thought.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:35 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I guess you could get a stacking washer and dryer so you would have space for a cupboard and hanging space underneath next to them. I have a small laundry room also, but I do have about 1 1/2 feet of hanging space next to the washer and dryer, and double cupboards over them. One thing we plan to do is make more shallow storage space in the wall between two of the studs, for extra storage.

Last edited by gentlearts; 10-10-2010 at 07:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House