Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 06:47 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,755 times

Advertisements

I bought a tarp but honestly it's too big and bulky to work with. So I'm using some sheets. The paint is water based. Can I wash them as usual in the machine and will the paint come out and can I stick them in the dryer? If not, can you recommend any product I can use to get the paint out that would not hurt the appliances?

Dumb question, I know. Probably even dumber not to try to buy a smaller tarp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 06:55 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,290,315 times
I wash my dropcloths, sheets & old plastic shower door liners(although with plastic, I use warm water, instead of cold) in the wash all the time. As long as the paint is dry, yes you can. And for cloth, yes you can dry...on permanent press cycle, not the hottest/cotton setting. The plastic too can go in under the lightest warm setting.
First shake any loose flakes or drops off.
I use plastic shower curtain liners to cover surfaces like furniture so paint doesn't absorb thru to fabric, and they are so cheap and are washable.

Show us your project. What'd ya paint????

Old 11-13-2010, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
I wash my dropcloths, sheets & old plastic shower door liners(although with plastic, I use warm water, instead of cold) in the wash all the time. As long as the paint is dry, yes you can. And for cloth, yes you can dry...on permanent press cycle, not the hottest/cotton setting. The plastic too can go in under the lightest warm setting.
First shake any loose flakes or drops off.
I use plastic shower curtain liners to cover surfaces like furniture so paint doesn't absorb thru to fabric, and they are so cheap and are washable.

Show us your project. What'd ya paint????
Gosh, I don't know how to show you my project! I've never been good at posting images.

But I can tell you that I'm painting the family room and kitchen a light taupe and the ceilings in the same color. I've had all the carpet removed from the house and am having brazilian cherrywood laminate put down. It's not the exact color I wanted, but Home Depot was out of the laminate I wanted, and this laminate was 99 cents a square foot.

My handyman quoted me $1200 to do the entire job (and this included ripping up all carpet and moving furniture and we're talking 1400 square feet here), but I want to be reasonable and pay him a bit more. There is tile to be ripped up and I'm thinking of squaring off the family room so that transition strips will work. The only part I'm really concerned about is my sunken bedroom and the fact he plans to square off the laminate on a rounded concrete surface.

At any rate, it will look like a brand new house! And thanks for the tips about washing the sheets. I may go to the store and see if I can just find smaller tarps to do the kitchen area. I would hate to ruin perfectly good sheets (too much).

Old 11-13-2010, 07:26 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
You can also go to Goodwill and or Salvation Army stores and get used sheets. They are cheaper and you can buy enough to cover everything at once. I use sheets as drop cloths all the time..except on fabric furniture. On fabric furniture use plastic so that the paint does not absorb through. Sheets are also easier to manuver and also store for future use.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:40 AM
B4U

Thanks for sharing your details. It sounds nice. (I can't post pics either. I don't have the equipment for it yet.)The wood color & taupe go nicely. And a great price, at least down here it would be.
STOP looking for tarps. They are for long-term coverage or outdoor use, not painting projects.
You can buy plastic sheeting in thin mils at HD. They do have "dropcloths for painting. Some are thicker/heavier than others. I have 2 huge ones I've had since the late 70's. I wash them each time I use them.Or buy rolls of brown paper at HD, in the paint dept (by dropcloths) or in the flooring dept.(look in the tile isle. Don't use plastic on the floor if you're going to walk on it though. You'll slid right on your butt, and it won't be pretty, especially if you have open paint stuff on it.
Do what ShaneSA said below, or even garage/yard sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
You can also go to Goodwill and or Salvation Army stores and get used sheets. They are cheaper and you can buy enough to cover everything at once. I use sheets as drop cloths all the time..except on fabric furniture. On fabric furniture use plastic so that the paint does not absorb through. Sheets are also easier to manuver and also store for future use.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
Great idea! Thanks.

I did use a sheet over my sofa and maybe a little paint did get on it .

Monday is 99 cent day at Savers. Think I'll put off painting until I can get some sheets. Or maybe I'll just go buy a smaller tarp.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:54 AM
B4U

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Great idea! Thanks.

I did use a sheet over my sofa and maybe a little paint did get on it .

Monday is 99 cent day at Savers. Think I'll put off painting until I can get some sheets. Or maybe I'll just go buy a smaller tarp.

What did I just say? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TARP!

This is a tarp:

This is a dropcloth:

Old 11-13-2010, 08:36 AM

LOL! I meant to say drop cloth but my brain isn't working too well this a.m. or last night either. I turned on the hose to water a palm tree and forgot to turn it off until this morning! Something tells me that palm tree is a goner.

Anyway, 9 by 12 is too big and bulky. I am almost done with the project and have kitchen counters and a small floor area to cover. Hmmm, I suppose I could always fold the DROP CLOTH in half.

Oh, and it is a killer deal on the price, but then I am a pretty good boss. He comes and goes as he pleases, I never know exactly when he'll show up, I give him cold bottled water and he takes lots of smoke breaks. But it works for both of us. I checked with HD and they charge $1.99 a sq. ft. to lay it down and this doesn't include ripping up carpet or moving furniture. (So I'd be looking at $2800 just to lay it down!) Too, they won't dissemble or put anything back together.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:20 AM
B4U

Quote:
LOL! I meant to say drop cloth but my brain isn't working too well this a.m. or last night either.
Must be the paint fumes. Um, yeh, it's the paint fumes. LoL!

Quote:
I turned on the hose to water a palm tree and forgot to turn it off until this morning! Something tells me that palm tree is a goner.
I didn't know you were in a sub-trop. climate. I wouldn't worry about the palm. If you have one, your soil must be very sandy, and porous. That means it drains fast & well. And palm root systems only go down about 3'.
Amazing isn't it? So tall, but not so deep?

Quote:
Anyway, 9 by 12 is too big and bulky. I am almost done with the project and have kitchen counters and a small floor area to cover. Hmmm, I suppose I could always fold the DROP CLOTH in half.
Why don't you cut the cloth in half? 9' X 6' = 2 9' X 6'. You can duct tape or masking tape the edge. Plus, then you could wash them easily.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
Must be the paint fumes. Um, yeh, it's the paint fumes. LoL!
Yup, that'll work.

Quote:
I didn't know you were in a sub-trop. climate. I wouldn't worry about the palm. If you have one, your soil must be very sandy, and porous. That means it drains fast & well. And palm root systems only go down about 3'.
Amazing isn't it? So tall, but not so deep?
I'm not. I'm in the desert where the soil is tough as clay. Actually, half the leaves are dead anyway.

Quote:
Why don't you cut the cloth in half? 9' X 6' = 2 9' X 6'. You can duct tape or masking tape the edge. Plus, then you could wash them easily.
Doggone it, your smart. No wonder you're in CA and I'm in AZ. You know, there is evidence that the sun and heat literally BAKE your brain here. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House