Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2010, 09:29 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,191,946 times

Advertisements

I'm staying in a house right now that I rent with other people. I'll be here for the next few months until I buy another house. I do have a walk in closet, but there is no real closet in the main part of the house to store shoes.

I don't mind keep shoes in my closet, but some of them are for sports and I don't want my room to be smelly. I checked Bed Bath and Beyond and there's no real good solution there. Ideally I'd like something that could hand in a closet, store the shoes, but also be enclosed so they don't smell. There is under bed storage, but that's a pain in the behind.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 10:52 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Why is underbed storage a pain?

You could get a plastic tub to *somewhat* seal in the odors, but you should look at other alternatives to limit the smell. Talc or baby powder in your shoes, spray deodorant, something!

Old 11-20-2010, 11:16 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I wouldn't want to enclose smelly shoes into a container of any sort. Clearly smelly shoes need to be aired out. Most importantly, you should try to get to the bottom of why your shoes smell. Seriously. My athletic shoes don't smell. Why do yours smell?

Is it because you wear them wet and don't properly dry them when you get home? If you are running in the rain, toss your shoes into the dryer when you get home. Do you wear the same pair of shoes every day? Shoes need a break to air out between wearings. It's best to own a few pairs of shoes and alternate to give them a few days to air out between wearings. Do you have athlete's foot? Treat that problem so your shoes don't smell.

Are you wearing socks made of material that make your feet sweat and don't wick moisture away from your feet? Any synthetic material in socks is the worst for this. Get socks made of natural materials----not synethetic blends---100% cotton, 100% bamboo, 100% wool. A blend of NATURAL materials is good too. But wool athletic socks are the best for wicking moisture away from feet. Wool dries quickly. There ARE wool athletic socks made of thin matieral. Expensive but well worth it. Look here: wool athletic socks - Google Product Search

Are your shoes made of natural materials? Synthetic shoes make feet sweat and smell. Stick with athletic shoes that are made of real leather or a canvase material made of a natural fiber.

Seriously consider tackling the CAUSE of your smelly shoes instead of a place to hide them. Enclosing smelly shoes will only cause mildew and/or yeast to grow in your shoes. Shoes need to breath!

Old 11-21-2010, 07:58 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Do you have a garage attached to the house? I would keep them out there-opened up as much as possible and a box of baking soda close by if your shoes get that smelly. If you sprinkle some baking soda in them when you take them off it will absorb the smells and then just dump out the soda before you put them on.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:05 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
There are shoe cabinets available:

IKEA Leksvik Shoe Rack & Sandnes Shoe Cabinet < Hallway < Furniture

IKEA also has another style that mounts on the wall. And you can buy what's needed (i.e., 2, 4 or more, etc.). There may be other types from other businesses; maybe others will know. Good luck!

Old 11-22-2010, 02:43 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
We bought some plastic tubs at Target that fit under the bed. They hold about a dozen plus pairs of shoes. We just leave the top off of the tubs or leave the top loose and circulation does nto seem to be a problem, nor does odor. However we usually store shores that we do nto wear that often in the tubs. The shoes we wear a lot are on a shelf in the mudroom.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:54 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,191,946 times
Under the bed is a pain. You ahve to shuffle thigns around, get down on your hands and knees and its a pain to put them out. There's a reason why people use dressers instead of stuffing everything under their bed. I'll check out the ikea link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House