Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 08:52 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Sorry, I have to disagree a bit with the notion that mobile homes are "effectively the same structure as stick built homes".

Yes, they have wood framing. But there is a world of difference.
First of all, the walls are thinner than site built homes. They use smaller studs.
Second, if they have a pitched roof, the roof framing is totally different than a site built home.
Third, the floor framing is much smaller than a site built house because they rely on the steel chassis to stiffen it up.

Modular homes are a little different than mobile homes, and sit built homes. They don't have a steel chassis (think trailer), so they are installed on a regular foundation. The framing is much more similar to a site built house.
I disagree with this post,mobile homes are framed with 2 X 4's 16" OC like home and 2 X 6 joists 16" OC and 3/4" floor.Undoubtably if you scrounge around you can find junk.
My mobilehome 1998 Fleetwood is built this way with storm windows also.All holes are foam sealed,plumbing and electric.
We went to Ct from Sept-Dec,no bugs when we left and none on return,keep thermostat on auto,80 cool and 68 heat when away,do not know why such negative attitude on mobilehomes,most of the problem is occupants.We have a 28 X 63.

Last edited by DanBev; 02-23-2011 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: year wrong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 04:30 PM
QIS

920 posts, read 5,145,620 times
You are all correct! Some have 2 x 2.5, some have 2x 3 , some have 2 x 4 AND a while back out here in So Cal there was a company that made mobile homes with 2 x 6 studs!!! They were actually pretty reasonable if I remember right and came in some neat floor plans. Flooring and roofing systems in mobile homes vary as well.
DanBev Fleetwood makes an awesome product. Many of them are made in Riverside, CA or near there and are a pleasure to go through! That being said; not all mobile homes are as nice.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:55 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
Dan,
Come over to TN and see what they have here. Not even close to yours. Good for you that you got good quality, but I think yours is the exception, and not the rule.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:49 PM

19 posts, read 116,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I am curoius about how you get away with securing your children to the studs in your home without running afoul of CPS. Do you have pictures?
Err, I secure the shelves to the wall...not the little ones to wall.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:46 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times
Most of the problem with mobile homes are the people,an alternative to renting.They have no pride or to ignorant to take care of property,we have it here,not around us.They let trash accumulate and property run down needlessly.
We had a 1989 home which was what BarhkngSpider is talking about,it was a singlewide,14 X 70.Floors were particle board and no holes sealed.I packed steelwool around all holes and pipes and metal screen around large holes,otherwise rodents and bugs would have free reign,it was o'k but was run of the mill.Now improved considerably.
Through carelessness a wet floor will buckle particle board.Also had formaldahdye problem.Most of these issues have been resolved.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:26 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stomache View Post
Err, I secure the shelves to the wall...not the little ones to wall.

Darn. I thought that maybe we were on to a new era in child rearing. No more babysitters needed, just some beefy studs in the walls.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:56 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QIS View Post
You are all correct! Some have 2 x 2.5, some have 2x 3 , some have 2 x 4 AND a while back out here in So Cal there was a company that made mobile homes with 2 x 6 studs!!! They were actually pretty reasonable if I remember right and came in some neat floor plans. Flooring and roofing systems in mobile homes vary as well.
DanBev Fleetwood makes an awesome product. Many of them are made in Riverside, CA or near there and are a pleasure to go through! That being said; not all mobile homes are as nice.
Yes indeed they come in all types.
I think that many see the cheaper framed homes because when you get into the higher quality homes, the only advantage is time to move in because they can run almost as much as a stick built home. Also many (use the correct terminology) manufactured homes (mobile homes legally are the pre HUD Code shoeboxes) can be built to resemble a stick built with garages, and other features so they blend into an area bettre. people may see a manufactured HUS Code home everyday but think its a regular site built home when it is a manufactured home.

Most of the homes we see and recognize as a manufactured home were probably bought because they could be made for a lowevr cost and thats the attraction. So we see the lower cost homes whuch may have lower cost material and some think thats what and only what a manufactured home is.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:34 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
All new manufactured homes must conform to federal code.
All new manufactured homes entering or built in Florida must conform to Florida wind codes. Codes were changed [hurricane Andrew 92] in 94, 98, 02, 06
Homes have 2x4 or 2x6 16"oc studs. Corners of house are built with shear walls. Roof is truss system tied thru walls to floor deck. Home is tied to ground with huge [tie down] screws. New homes are rated at 130 mph wind. If you want to pay the option, you can also get dry wall installed.
You are safer in a new manufactured home than you are in a pre 1994 concrete block home with the roof just sitting unattached on the blocks.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:59 AM

1 posts, read 12,855 times
My husband was injured in a hit and run accident that left him paralyze I care for him at home. my question is can I have a ceiling lift installed in a single wide trailer.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:49 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristlemccoy View Post
My husband was injured in a hit and run accident that left him paralyze I care for him at home. my question is can I have a ceiling lift installed in a single wide trailer.
Depends on the specific construction of the MH's ceiling/roof. Probably not a good idea in most MHs.

Have you considered either a portable style, or free-standing style, lift ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House