Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 08:26 PM

3 posts, read 101,912 times

Advertisements

We are in the process of renewing our kitchen with brand new kitchen cabinets, but I have to demo the original built in kitchen cabinets. Any advice for how I should take these cabinets out without destroying the dry wall / tile that surrounds the cabinets? I looked online, but mostly found how to remove cabinets that were screwed in. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 08:50 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Basically on site built cabinets have to be taken apart one peice at a time to minimise damage. Most wouldn't stay together anyway the way they are built.IUf built into wall its the same way.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:56 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,096,877 times
are you positive there's no screws in the cabinets holding them to the wall?

that would be so much easier.

To remove a built in cabinet you have to disassemble it the opposite way it was built. Start with the molding, doors, then the shelves, etc. When removing the backing from the wall take a sharp knife and cut along the edge where wood meets wall so you don't rip the existing wall board. Good luck!

Old 03-12-2011, 08:57 PM

Thanks for the reply!

Thats kinda what my installer told me too, but Im a bit lost on how to remove the pieces that are attached to the wall. How do you remove those pieces?

Old 03-12-2011, 09:01 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,096,877 times
Do you know how it's attached to the wall? Do you see screws, nails? It could be glued and screwed. You're probably going to have to gently pry it away from the wall and see what you're dealing with.. If you do pry it, use a small pry bar. The nail puller end of the hammer may go right through the wall.

oh, and rest the pry bar end on a piece of wood or something solid when you pry it off so the pry bar doesn't go through the wall.

Last edited by Lauriedeee; 03-12-2011 at 09:10 PM..

Old 03-13-2011, 11:37 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,296,788 times
Most cabinets are screwed to the wall, some at the top, and some at the bottom (for the wall cabinets). They might be nailed in older homes, but most are screwed. Upper cabinets should be very easy to remove form the wall.

Base cabinets on the other hand are secured in place in a variety of ways.
The first thing you need to do is remove the counter tops. Once you do that, you should be able to see how they are secured to the walls. Some base cabinets are secured to a raised platform that has been fastened to the floor. Some are on their own feet and have a removable kick plate attached at the bottom.

You are probably going to destroy the tile backsplash when you remove the counter tops.

Just go slow and you should be OK.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:26 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Why worry yourself on such a simple thing? If you have professional Cabinet Installers coming in to install the new cabinets then toss them a quick hundred to remove the old. If your intent is to install your own new cabinets and you can't figure out how to remove the old then you are truly scaring me what that install might look like.

For your own good.....do it right or don't do it.

For the record, if the cabs are nailed rather then screwed, you will bust out the face frames from the back towards front. The sides. bottoms, tops and shelves will fall right down with little to no effort. Now you have full access to the back nailing fins or nailing plates or whatever they call them in your part of the world. You have to use what's called a CATSPAW. They cost less then $10. It's basically a nail puller pry bar. You will tap the claw with a hammer under the nail head and just pry that ol nail right out.

Simple no mess no fuss and no damage to the drywall.

PS...I sure hope you didn't let the big orange who only wants your little green to rape you for those cabinets when all the small kitchen dealers discount heavy from list price, unlike the big orange.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:38 PM

Thanks for the posts guys... I am having the cabinets installed by a professional but I thougtht we could save some $ by me removing the existing built-ins. I guess I could ask him how much he would charge to remove them, I just figured it cant be too tough.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:53 PM

61 posts, read 387,838 times
Demo shouldn't cost more than $300 max.

Old 05-24-2019, 01:43 AM

1 posts, read 5,053 times
Has anyone ever removed 1950 steel cabinets from a wall in a kitchen with a soffit overhead? I can’t find any screws- my guess is they are hung on a French clear and need to be lifted to remove but due to the soffit I can’t lift them. Any suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House