Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 08:19 AM

97 posts, read 210,100 times

Advertisements

Looking on some advice on buying an affordable mattress. What brand do you like best, Simmons, Sealy or Serta? Plush top or pillow top? King or Queen? Any opinions would be nice. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 08:27 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
We found that the best buy is to go to a small matress manufacturer and buy directly. Otherwise you pay so much for marketing, advertising, distribution, aesthetics (i.e. making the mattress look pretty int he store - so you cna take it home and cover it with sheets), etc, that you do not get much for your money.

WE like Caifornia King because I am tall. We also often have anywhere from 0 to 7 "guests" (kids and sometimes their friends, a cat or a giant dog) sitting or (in the case of our kids, can and dog) sleeping in our bed. It is nice to have space

Old 02-14-2011, 08:30 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,256,639 times
I bought mine from The Original Mattress...king...pillow top.

The only problem is that it is so comfy that I want to stay in bed longer!

Vicki

Old 02-14-2011, 09:03 AM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
We buy from a local manufacturer also... MUCH better prices and excellent customer service.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:51 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,410,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boob73 View Post
Looking on some advice on buying an affordable mattress. What brand do you like best, Simmons, Sealy or Serta? Plush top or pillow top? King or Queen? Any opinions would be nice. Thanks!
i just got a sealy plush top queen for our guest room. it retailed for around $900. plush vs pillow is really preference but if you're looking to save money, no reason to "splurge" on pillow if you can find a comfy plush. i like a king, just upgraded from a queen for my wife and i. the king we bought is sterns and foster (same company as sealy). S&F is fantastic, but you pay more.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:57 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,403,283 times
I miss the old fashioned mattresses that you can turn and "flip". I had a very expensive Stern's and Foster pillow top which at first felt like heaven to lay on. It felt like I was laying on a cloud...only to realize that I wanted more support and that mattress only caused hip problems. I tried many of the pillow tops and I don't like any of them.

Last I tried a memory foam mattress and it works fantastic for me. You can choose the density, which is the soft/hardness of it. I was able to get a firm one and you don't feel anyone else move on your bed which is great if you don't sleep alone.

I have a kind size bed so I ordered 2 XL twin mattresses. I recommend this for anyone with a king bed. One...you never feel the other person move or get out of bed. Two...you can get a different firmness if you want and three...if one wears out before the other one, example would be if one person is much heavier, then it is much less expensive to replace the one side.

I ordered my mattresses from Dynasty mattress and I am very happy with them. I got two 10" XL twin memory foam mattresses. I will never go back to a pillow top.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:59 AM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I miss the old fashioned mattresses that you can turn and "flip".
I am still able to get those from the local guys.
I really don't ever want a pillow top....

Old 02-14-2011, 11:20 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,403,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I am still able to get those from the local guys.
I really don't ever want a pillow top....

Lucky you So many times we learn that new isn't always better.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:33 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,800,167 times
I will never own another Simmons, no flip pillow top mattress. I really dont like ours as far as its showing where we each lay.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:50 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,553,942 times
Original Mattress Factory (they have locations in a few different states) still has "flippable" mattresses. We're buying a new King from them sometime this year (when we get around to it).

Our current King is a No-Flip. Funny thing is, we didn't even realize it until we'd owned it about a year and went to flip it. SUPRISE!!

We were unhappy. It shows wear (dents) a lot more than our old flippable Queen did - and all you can really do is try to constantly sleep in different places.

Oh well... that'll all be behind us soon enough...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House