Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 12:52 PM

11 posts, read 63,773 times

Advertisements

I recently put up a sign that says "No soliciting. No religious queries. Girl Scouts with cookies are always welcome." It seems to be working so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 01:04 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyrambles View Post
I recently put up a sign that says "No soliciting. No religious queries. Girl Scouts with cookies are always welcome." It seems to be working so far.
What about Boy Scouts with popcorn?

Old 07-05-2013, 01:14 PM

11 posts, read 63,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I don't like that popcorn.

(Ducking and running for cover)

Old 07-05-2013, 02:12 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,518,242 times
I used to use a "go away" doormat. Now we have a fence and a scary looking dog. Stays nice and quiet out here.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:02 PM

774 posts, read 1,694,048 times
Quote:
Post this on your front door
Kinda like that except it might keep away legitimate delivery personnel.
And you'd definitely have to explain it to the neighbors!

Speaking of personnel, the sign also misspells 'personnel' once and has both British and American spellings of "authorized"... definitely something for everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
I used to use a "go away" doormat. Now we have a fence and a scary looking dog. Stays nice and quiet out here.
Gonna do something like that at my next house (where I live now, front-yard fences aren't permitted) but I'll have to construct some kind of tiny shelter for parcels at the gate. Not even sure that USPS personnel would approach that if there's a scary dog though.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:12 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Boy Scouts with popcorn aren't allowed to solicit in the town I live in. The mayor specifically stated that would be the case if the "no soliciting" ordinance took effect.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:43 PM

967 posts, read 2,610,628 times
I am a Girl Scout cookie manager for a service unit. Our Service Unit is about 600 girls large, and we have just added a new neighborhood to our Service Unit. Apparently it is in a town with a "non soliciting" ordinance.

I didn't belive it at first, but a $60/yr permit is required to sell door to door in that neighborhood. I was able to secure a permit for GS cookies and have the fee waived. However, it has to be re-registered annually.

Being a service unit cookie manager is a volunteer role. The volunteer before me knew nothing about it. I'll probably do this task for a couple of years, but there will come a day when another parent takes this role. We don't *work* for Girl Scouts, we are just volunteers. So it will be interesting to see how long this is enforced.

And it's not just Girl Scouts... Think of HS clubs (band boosters, etc... As well)

I guess it's a good neighborhood to live in. A $60 fee to solicit probably deters a lot.

I was surprised to hear that a 2nd grade Brownie was accosted for "her permit" by a cranky neighbor. We are "on file" with the neighborhood office, and don't hand every one of 600 Girl Scouts a copy of the permit for this one neighborhood.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:55 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default I answer the door

and ask them if "You have accepted nuclear fusion as your lord and savior?"
Only one in 20 answers correctly.
I then shut the door.

Old 07-06-2013, 05:43 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
I have a No Soliciting sign up. One day a bunch of college kids were all over the neighborhood. When one came to my door I pointed to my sign and asked if he could read. Wide eyes he said "But we aren't soliciting. We are offering free estimates for outside painting".

Old 07-06-2013, 09:43 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Jehovah Witness' are the worst offenders here. They came last week and when they saw the new sign on my door they turned around and got back into their car, so I guess it worked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House