Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 01:01 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times

Advertisements

While I was watching some HGTV shows, I am surprised by how homogenous people are in terms what they want from their new houses

1) Open concept kitchen
this has been discussed already

2) ensuite bathroom
99% people want it. But why? why do you need a bathroom attached to your bedroom, to make it more convenient to pee at night? It is rational to have a bathroom just to your own, but why does it have to be attached to the bedroom?

3) big yard
Urban myth to me. Most family want a big backyard "for kids to play in". Really? How big can he yard be for the kid to play in day after day, year after year without getting bored? What's usually in the yard, a zoo? The importance of a backyard to kids is grossly overstated. What can a 10 year old do in the yard anyway?

4) formal dinning room
Come on. How often do you actually do formal dining? Do you wear ties and dresses for those? It is so pretentious. It is more ridiculous to have a large room sitting there for 360 days of a year and got used for 4 hours only during the rest 5 days.

5) SS appliances
All of the suddent everyone wants them. It is like a new continent being found. What's the difference between SS and traditional white appliances anyway.

6) Granite countertop
Everyone suddenly is being pressured to have granite countertops, just like ss appliances.

7) Hardwood floor
Some are nice (but expensive) but some aren't. They are hard to maintain. I don't see the big fuss except to show others "I have hardwood floor", preferably brazilian.

8) familyroom AND livingroom
This is beyond ridiculous. Why do you need one room for guests and one room for the family, when you can't possibly use them at the same time? A familyroom is sufficient to be used as the livingroom when there are guests, no?

9) double sink vanity
It sounds nice to have. but in reality, how often do you really get up and brusg teeth with your spouse at exactly the same time? Why not double toilet in case you need to pee at the same time?

Lists can go on. People just want things all others want without questioning the necessity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 01:09 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
While I was watching some HGTV shows, I am surprised by how homogenous people are in terms what they want from their new houses

1) Open concept kitchen

2) ensuite bathroom
99% people want it. But why? why do you need a bathroom attached to your bedroom, to make it more convenient to pee at night? It is rational to have a bathroom just to your own, but why does it have to be attached to the bedroom?

3) big yard
Urban myth to me. Most family want a big backyard "for kids to play in". Really? How big can he yard be for the kid to play in day after day, year after year without getting bored? What's usually in the yard, a zoo? The importance of a backyard to kids is grossly overstated. What can a 10 year old do in the yard anyway?

4) formal dinning room
Come on. How often do you actually do formal dining? Do you wear ties and dresses for those? It is so pretentious. It is more ridiculous to have a large room sitting there for 360 days of a year and got used for 4 hours only during the rest 5 days.

5) SS appliances
All of the suddent everyone wants them. It is like a new continent being found. What's the difference between SS and traditional white appliances anyway.

6) Granite countertop
Everyone suddenly is being pressured to have granite countertops, just like ss appliances.

7) Hardwood floor
Some are nice (but expensive) but some aren't. They are hard to maintain. I don't see the big fuss except to show others "I have hardwood floor", preferably brazilian.

This is beyond ridiculous. Why do you need one room for guests and one room for the family, when you can't possibly use them at the same time? A familyroom is sufficient to be used as the livingroom when there are guests, no?

9) double sink vanity
It sounds nice to have. but in reality, how often do you really get up and brusg teeth with your spouse at exactly the same time? Why not double toilet in case you need to pee at the same time?

Lists can go on. People just want things all others want without questioning the necessity.
I agree with most of these, especially the formal dining room. Who the heck uses them? Ours is now our kids' homework room complete with stationary supplies, a globe, good lighting, a huge dining room table to spread out, and a laptop.

Our living room is my wife's and my computer room (our desks and computers).

Our family room is our family room with TV and fireplace.

Stainless steel appliances are good if the rest of your kitchen is SS. It looks better if things mathch.

DOuble sink is nice too. I have my stuff and she has hers. I doubt it if adds that much cost to to the building of the house.

No carpeting for me in most common areas, maybe bedrooms but not halls, living rooms, kithcens etc.

Big yard, yep, not ncessary. Use neighborhood parks so kids can play with other kids instead of playing by themselves in their yard. Same for community pool. Don't need a backyard pool. All the kids are in our HOA pool.

We have five BRs and five baths for wife and me and four GIRLS.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:42 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
1) Open concept kitchen
I don't like them.

Quote:
2) ensuite bathroom
I like not going into the hall, especially with guests in the house.

Quote:
3) big yard
LOVE our yard. It is just 1/3 acre, but I wish we had a bigger one.
I can't believe you don't know what kids can do in a yard... Did you not have one?

Quote:
4) formal dinning room
I have just a dining room - not a FORMAL one - and it gets plenty of use. I will never have a house without a separate area.

Quote:
5) SS appliances
I don't like them.

Quote:
6) Granite countertop
Pressured? Seriously? I have not seen anyone pressured into granite....

Quote:
7) Hardwood floor
Wood floors are NOT hard to maintain. Have you not had those either?

Quote:
Really?
In our house, they are not designated as guest and family. Our living room is the quiet room, for reading and conversation. The family room has the surround sound TV and stereo system. It is the game/party area.

Quote:
9) double sink vanity
I have never had a place with a double sink vanity.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:53 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
I don't necessarily like the other things mentioned that I'm not quoting below.

Quote:
2) ensuite bathroom
If you have to ask this, you don't have sex very often.

Quote:
3) big yard
I have a big yard because I have dogs and love to garden. I have huge flower and vegetable gardens. It's my hobby.

Quote:
4) formal dinning room
We eat dinner in the dining room every night, that's 365 days a year.

Quote:
7) Hardwood floor
It doesn't have to be hardwood as long as it's not carpet. Carpeting is disgusting.

Quote:
We use both our family room and living room. One isn't for guests. We need two rooms because we like to go off into our own spaces to do things without being distracted. Try reading a book while someone is watching a football game and you might begin to understand this.

Quote:
9) double sink vanity
LMAO! I guess you're not aware that there are houses that have double toilets in the master bathroom!

Hubby and I do many of these things at the same time. It's called being efficient.

You forgot two sets of washers and dryers. I've seen houses with three sets too! Why do people have them? They get their laundry done faster!

Old 11-30-2012, 01:59 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I agree with most of these, especially the formal dining room. Who the heck uses them? Ours is now our kids' homework room complete with stationary supplies, a globe, good lighting, a huge dining room table to spread out, and a laptop.
But where would you have all this stuff if you didn't have the dining room?

Old 11-30-2012, 02:01 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
3) big yard

4) formal dinning room
Come on. How often do you actually do formal dining? Do you wear ties and dresses for those? It is so pretentious. It is more ridiculous to have a large room sitting there for 360 days of a year and got used for 4 hours only during the rest 5 days. We host formal dinner parties several times a year and also use the dining room and a buffet area when we have barbques in the summer.

7) Hardwood floor

.[/quote]

Agree with you on most of the list except these.

A big yard is terrific. We use ours (big-ish, not big 1 acre) among other things for the following:

1. Bonfires with up to 20 people. We could have more, but we do nto have so many friends who come at once usually.

2. Chickens. I would not want my chickens right near the house. Doesn't it get stinky?

3. Room for the dogs to run around.

4. Buffer from neighbors.

5. Swimming Pool. (We still use the community pool, but it is great to have privacy (especially for the girls), not hours of operation, no worry about who may have put the (P) in Pool, no rules, limits or waiting. I can come home from work at 8 or 9 p.m. change and jump into the pool in seconds, swim for fifteen minutes and go to bed. It is a lluxury and expensive, but it is a nice luxury).

6. Toss a frisbee or football or kick a soccer ball.
7. Archery

8. B B gun shooting.

9. Garden.

10. bird feeding/wild animal watching
11. Fruit trees.

12. Source of firewood.

13. "Secret" fort in the woods
14. Hockey rink.

15. boat/car storage and car repair.

16. mini bike riding.

17. laser tag or airsoft.

18. hide and seek.

19. That is enough, I could think of more but you get the point - it is great to have.

Formal Dining room -
We use it every day. It is where we frequently eat and where the kids usually do homework.It is probably the most centrally used room in our house.

Hardwood floor.

Hard floors are much more clean and sanitary and far healthier than carpeting. In fact carpeting is disgusting. Hardwood is easier to maintain and does not need replacement like carpeting, just refinishing. We have floors in our house that are 176 years old. They are pretty and very clean. Can you imagine what 176 year old carpeting would be like? Hardwood is easier to clean, in fact carepting is impossible to really clean. It hides dirt better and it also holds dirt better.

Family room and living room.

IN old fashioned terms front and back parlors. This is a luxury item but to us it is really nice to have. One room is furnished beautifully and always kept impeccibly clean. If guests show up, we can usher them in there with no embarrassment. If the kids want to get away to read or practice music or something They can duck in there.

The other room is the family messy room. TV, X-box, bean bag and other pillows for laying on the floor, magazines, newspaper, lot of things strewn about. Right now an Ergh (rowing machine) is in the middle of the back parlor so my son can watch movies while he works out. This is not a room you want non-intimate guests to see. It is nice to have the seperation. Necessary? No. Convenient and nice to have? Absolutely.

We put in double sinks in one bathroom (the twins' bathroom) one of them is never used. They do not want to have to clean two sinks.

Really hate stainless. I do not want to live in a commercial kitchen. I like color. Likewise I do not like rooms or homes decorated entirely white or off white. White is nto even a color. Visiting or staying in hospitals is generally not a pleasant expereince for me. I do not want my home to make me think I am in a hospital. Perhaps if you are really old, all white is good. Then when you go to the hospital, it will be just like being at home.

We have found multiple bathrooms nearly useless as well. We have four, two of them get used frequently. Mostly everyone line sup to use our bathroom because it has the nicest shower. They woudl rather wait to use ours than use on of the oothers. It is nice to have the toilet on the main floor, but we really do not need the shower in there.

I really like having a door directly from our bedroom to the bathroom. I sleep in my underwear. If I need to get up to use the bathroom, I do not have to put on a robe. We frequently have guests. Even in a robe it can be embarrassing to bump into a guest in the middle of the night on the way to a bathroom, especially friends of my daughters'.

The other thing that almost never gets used as far as I know is the kitchen nook. Mostly it is the place people put things they do not know what to do with when cleaning. Kids once did homework in there, but they seem to prefer the dining room.

Funny thing is the library almost never gets used for homework. It is bascially a place for using desktop computers, storing books and housing the birds.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 11-30-2012 at 02:16 PM..

Old 11-30-2012, 02:02 PM

2,417 posts, read 2,989,141 times
Hopes, you phrased #1 a lot better than I was going to!! And I agree with most of your other answers too, especially #2.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:36 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Homogenous?
Well of course they are!
Foundation, walls with doors and windows, ceiling, roof. Everything you mentioned are just variations of the homogenous- or design choices.

One of the very root causes of this is the way in which houses are built. In a very literal sense the construction of a house hasn't changed in over 150+yrs. Especially if you were to compare it to the automobile industry, electronics industry, and so forth.
Until the industry changes the way we build houses dramatically they will continue to have the "same old look" they have carried for the last century.

And as I mentioned in a previous thread, RE agents and TV (HGTV to be specific!) practically demand such things in a home. And as long as people believe its the gospel, it will continue to be "the norm".

Old 11-30-2012, 04:12 PM

355 posts, read 913,384 times
Added my 2 cents

Quote:

1) Open concept kitchen

( this is great for entertaining. The person cooking can still be part of the fun, likewise if someone wants to help, there is plenty of elbow room)

2) ensuite bathroom

(I've had to use the bathroom several times a night while pregnant, while sick, as I've gotten older). I also prefer guests use the guest bath so I don't have to keep it immaculate 24/7.

3) big yard
(Privacy, entertaining without bothering people, room for pets, if you have smaller children you'd want a swingset and room to run, a garden a pool- actually this would be the main deal killer if I had to forgo the rest)

4) formal dinning room
(I agree as long as there are other areas for extended family to share a meal, birthday party -open concept works nice in this instance)

5) SS appliances
(Hate them. Stupid fingerprints, drip marks ugh-never again)

6) Granite countertop
(looks nice, but also is great for juggling hot pans)

7) Hardwood floor
(I despise carpet, I think it is so gross. Wood floors look homey and are timeless. Tile grout gets stained, can chip and certain styles become dated)

(I agree, living rooms are a waste)

9) double sink vanity
(Usually husband is shaving while I am doing my makeup and we brush our teeth together every night.)

Old 11-30-2012, 07:11 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,214,182 times
Default Conventions

We shake hands to show we are not concealing a knife. Vinyl made to look like leather. Pressed pulpwood ceilings made to look like fireproof pressed tin ceilings which themselves were imitations of embossed leather ceiling coverings. And what the heck is "Virgin Vinyl?"

A lot of what we have come to expect in our possessions are just what we unthinkingly are used to. So a faux fireplace and chimney, and a family room in the basement.

A lot of what we buy is directly the result of clever advertising and the desire to keep up with the Jones'.
(Actually found the street in Savannah Ga (Jones St.) where all the wealthy lived. Hence the cliche'.)

However, a family relocated from California and built a open plan home without many interior partition walls downstairs. So if the kitchen, or any part of the downstairs was not neat, the entire downstairs looked a mess. So they said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House