Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 10:48 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I don't like that house. Look how far you'd have to haul the food from the kitchen to the dining room.

Perhaps, though, that home is intended for someone who has domestic help.
The dining room is too small for dinining in. There would be no need to bring food in there unless people are going to sit on the floor. You might squeeze four people around a table in there if you did not have anyone on the narrow sides fo the room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 10:56 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
The dining room is too small for dinining in. There would be no need to bring food in there unless people are going to sit on the floor. You might squeeze four people around a table in there if you did not have anyone on the narrow sides fo the room.
It appears to be 13 ft 6 inches by 17 ft 6 in. How big do you think it should be? That's about how much I have and I can seat ten easily, with room for a buffet and a china cabinet, too.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:17 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
The dining room is too small for dinining in .
You're either looking at the wrong room or the wrong house; the dining room is listed as 13 x 17.

My dining room is 13 x 12 and I've had eight people around the table quite comfortably; another five feet and I could have invited the rest of the family.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:23 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,902,620 times
What I hear is "Come on people, why can't you just be content with the home I have and like?"
Stopped reading after you claimed that wood floors are pretentious.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:28 PM

13 x 17 is tiny. 17 is not bad if the other dimenson is 20 or 24. You would need a very skinny table and small chairs and no sideboard or server. I really do not see the point in a dining room smaller than 20 x 20. That may be the reason so many people see them as pointless, often they are too small to really be useable.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:44 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I think the ultimate master ensuite (hate that word) would have two completely separate bathrooms in the master.
Going back to the Canada thing....ensuite is THEIR description, probably because of Quebec, (one which must be stomped out, not encouraged, like Martha Stewart saying "ahndeeve" instead of endive), and they also say "hoos". Both dead giveaways that we aren't in Kansas anymore.

I've also noticed they've taken to saying 4 piece washroom, 3 piece washroom, etc. Makes me think of a bunkhouse.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:08 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Going back to the Canada thing....ensuite is THEIR description, probably because of Quebec, (one which must be stomped out, not encouraged, like Martha Stewart saying "ahndeeve" instead of endive), and they also say "hoos". Both dead giveaways that we aren't in Kansas anymore.

I've also noticed they've taken to saying 4 piece washroom, 3 piece washroom, etc. Makes me think of a bunkhouse.
I was wondering where the ensuite terminology came from.

It's not American. Americans say, "master bathroom."

Any Americans who say ensuite were brainwashed by HGTV shows.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I was wondering where the ensuite terminology came from.

It's not American. Americans say, "master bathroom."

Any Americans who say ensuite were brainwashed by HGTV shows.
I have never heard the term, however the meaning is apparent. I have only watched a few minutes of current HGTV shows. they all seem the same and not very interesting. In most cases at elast one of the people they feature are whiney and not likeable. Of course that is based on wathcing maybe 5 minutes of 5-7 shows at different times. I will stop on that channel long enough to realize that it has not improved and then swtich to movies or cartoons.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:32 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
I only watch House Hunters Internationa, on rare occassions, because it's interesting to see how people live in other countries.

The predictable commentary from the homeowners is truly annoying though.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:33 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
Quote:
I have never heard the term, however the meaning is apparent. I have only watched a few minutes of current HGTV shows. they all seem the same and not very interesting. In most cases at elast one of the people they feature are whiney and not likeable. Of course that is based on wathcing maybe 5 minutes of 5-7 shows at different times. I will stop on that channel long enough to realize that it has not improved and then swtich to movies or cartoons.
Yep. I watch HGTV but not as much as I used to. I wonder if the producers sit the people down and go..."ok, you will be the whiny unlikeable person....you...you will be the stingy buyer..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House