Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2011, 10:40 AM

900 posts, read 2,372,200 times

Advertisements

How much is the going rate for this for a licensed plumber? I'm in Brooklyn.

I need to convert under the kitchen sink pipes that would hook up to washer and also install a drain pipe.

Hot/cold each have turn off valve.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 10:47 AM

149 posts, read 326,194 times
Not sure but I would get 2-3 estimates and compare.
plumbers are very expensive.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trochlearIV View Post
Not sure but I would get 2-3 estimates and compare.
plumbers are very expensive.

Thanks for the advice.

Oh I know they're expensive, but I'm hoping I can get a nice break. I just want to be prepared.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:19 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
A licensed plumber working for a union shop in NYC will be charging more than $100/hr and that is probably at least two hours of billable labor plus parts.

Technically this does not involve making modifications to the plumbing on the side of the pipes that feed other uses so you probably do not need a permit and you could save a lot of dough using a qualified remodeler or even an adequately insured handy man...

The parts to do this are available from companies like Oatey & Dyerbox. Depending on what kind of valves (I really like the single handle cutoff for both hot & cold) you use the parts should be under $100. Probably also a good idea to invest in a drip pan for under the washer and appropriate vent connections for dryer.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:34 PM

Thanks Chet for your response.

That range is good I don't want to go over $300.00 including parts. I could also buy the parts as long as the plumber lets me know exactly what to buy. I would assume that Lowe's would carry them. I've never heard of Oatey & Dyerbox. Are they here in NY?

I was planning to get a drip pan but reading through the owner's manual of the washer says that vibration may occur if not leveled right so we'll see.

I haven't gotten the dryer yet but the next call will be to an qualified electrician. Mo money, mo money, mo money, ho hum.

Now if I could get away with using a handyman for this I might just do it. That would be great if as you say it does not involve making modifications to the plumbing on the side of the pipes that feed other uses doesn't need a permit.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:23 PM

5 posts, read 33,622 times
I have a similar question about making a connection for washer and dryer that would be outside
of the kitchen wall and would use the hot and cold water from the the sink connection and to
drain the washer to the same sink drainner, but also to get an electric connection out. Then
I have to build a little room for the washer and dryer. It sounds crazy but is a house that is beautiful
except that there is no laundry room or connection, buy is for sale on good price here in Miami.
I think it can be couple of thousands because it involves drilling the wall, electric connection, water
connection and water drain... give me an idea how much could be. Thank you.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:29 PM

Fin,

Now I wouldn't know how much the work you want done would cost but I'm replying just to say we had this type of set up in the house I grew up in.

A closet right outside the bathroom was converted to house a washer.

My mother's handyman friend did the work. Depending on how your bathroom is situated this could be a very easy set up. Our tub was just on the other side of the closet so the same drain pipe was used for the washer and of course hot/cold connectors extended up for the hoses.

I think if you state the out lay of your bathroom and what state you reside maybe you'll get a faster response.

Being that it was a friend who did the work didn't cost much and also the house was old so cosmetics weren't a real concern. So if you could get a handyman (who knows what they're doing of course) for the job you could save some money, you'll more than likely run into cost with carpentry work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House