Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which appearance/style do you find most attractive for a home?
Brick 30 28.57%
Shingled 6 5.71%
Clapboard 6 5.71%
Victorian 25 23.81%
Stone 29 27.62%
Craftsman 30 28.57%
Stucco 6 5.71%
Mediterranean 19 18.10%
Log/Cabin 9 8.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 07:44 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times

Advertisements

I've become very interested in real estate lately, and I've got to thinking about all of the different types of home styles there are out there. It seems to speak to the wide variety of tastes and styles that we all have. Certainly some styles are much more common in certain parts of the country, but in my experience a decent variety of homes can be found in most places.

Is there a particular appearance you prefer for a home, or do you think there are attractive homes of several varieties? Please pick all of the options that you would like.

This poll is by no means comprehensive, but I thought I'd stick to the more common styles of homes. Here are some pictures representing each option (what I thought were the nicest representations for each for the sake of fairness):

Brick

1490 Woodland Trace, Cumming, Georgia Home for Sale - Cumming Home for sale with Salt Water Pool - Pool Homes for sale in Cumming, Georgia - Pool Homes for sale in Forsyth County, Georgia

Shingled

Jug Tavern - Sparta Tour

Clapboard

Back side of a two-story, white, clapboard house -- Ookaboo!

Victorian

Photo: Victorian house on High St near Madison St.

Stone

Insuring a Luxury Home in the Twin Cities

Craftsman

craftsman house « Life in the Northwest

Stucco

Hewitt Stucco: Serving South Metro of Minneapolis, St. Paul: Lakeville, Prior Lake, New Market - stucco, stone, plaster - 30 years of experience

Mediterranean

IMMO-Europe - Immobilien in Florida | Tout l'immobilier en Floride | real estate / properties in Florida

Log/Cabin

small-cabin-plans for log homes

Last edited by Duderino; 06-30-2011 at 09:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 08:06 PM

769 posts, read 1,730,065 times
Those all looked nice, and I think every kind of home is attractive in a different kind of way, they can all look really nice if you make them, but I think that picture you put of the Victorian house really did it for me. Wow, that house looks amazing, had to vote for it.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:57 PM

893 posts, read 2,862,388 times
Craftsman and Mediterranean are my favorite. Not much in the NYC area though.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:25 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
all except stucco!!!

Old 06-30-2011, 10:43 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Some of these options overlap. For instance, a "Victorian" home could have been built using almost any of those materials (brick, stone, clapboard) on the exterior.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:48 PM

698 posts, read 1,508,990 times
this is a great thread. I voted for Victorian but Mediterranean looks very nice as well.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:17 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Some of these options overlap. For instance, a "Victorian" home could have been built using almost any of those materials (brick, stone, clapboard) on the exterior.
Yep, you're exactly right. I thought Victorian was a more distinct type of style that it should have it's own category, however, as opposed to a relatively plain/straightforward brick, stone or clapboard home.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:54 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
What you picture as "Victorian" is known as "Queen Anne." "Victorian" encompasses many different styles including Queen Anne, Stick Style, Colonial Revival, Greek Revival, Gothic, Shingle Style, and several others. "Victorian" refers to an era, not to a particular style.
Those are all pretty nice houses except the one labled Stucco. The one labelled "Mediterranian" is out of balance and therefore unattractive, but the concept can be nice. Just that particular one is badly done. The brik house is nothing special. You do not like Tudor? That may be a better brick option for you to consider.

If you are looking a new houses, you will not find houses like what you picture unless it is a very expensive custom house. Most modern houses have bad attempts at elements of all styles.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:21 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
I didn't know wall cladding was a style.

Let's try:

Traditional (crap)
Folk Style (my favorite house by far here)
Georgian (nice- see how great the real thing looks here without shutters)
Queen Anne
French Eclectic
Craftsman
Builder's basic box
Pseudo European/Mediterranean Eclectic (disaster)
Cabin

Last edited by T. Damon; 07-01-2011 at 09:38 AM..

Old 07-01-2011, 10:35 AM

292 posts, read 1,243,919 times
I think you should choose better photos for these examples and/or stick with either home style *or* building materials. Brick, for instance, hits a positive note for me because I think of the rowhome I grew up in or more stately older townhouses or brick colonials from the turn of the century or before. That image of the newer house (which, in all honestly, might not even be real brick) really doesn't do it as a classic example of a brick home. Same for stone...I imagined some quaint stone cottage in Ireland, not what could be a faux-stone facade on a mcmansion. Again, with stucco...you have a house that is synthetic stucco. A *real* stucco home is more attractive, durable, suited to its environment and doesn't look like a typical mcmansion with some stucco slapped on. Stick to classic, real examples of building materials or home styles. Wikipedia has a pretty comprehensive list under "house styles."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House