Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 12:56 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times

Advertisements

I dont understand why the windows didnt come with screens in the first place?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 01:03 PM

41,961 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I dont understand why the windows didnt come with screens in the first place?????
Really. I'd be calling the builder to complain. And complain.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:22 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Really. I'd be calling the builder to complain. And complain.

As I had mentioned previously, and the OP confirmed- "jobber" windows (those that are wood jamb, wood sash, with vinyl balances) are built per job. The shop that manufactures them are in the business to make a profit. Screens by most stretches of the imagination are not money makers. So generally, the screens would be purchased by the builder from a company that specializes in screens. Here in Atlanta most companies that build screens also do wire shelving, shower doors, mirrors, and sometimes bath hardware (diversification is profitable).
Ultimately, the decision lies with the builder if he is going to supply screens with the house. And of course that cost along with any other cost or material that goes into a house gets pass on to the buyer. I supplied screens with the houses I built- and most buyers requested they not be installed.

On the other-hand, if the OP didn't receive a "Pre-Construction Description of Materials" (a list of all the materials and products that go into a particular build) and it was implied or inferred that he was receiving screens- that another matter all together.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:23 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Why would someone who lives in GA (OP) buy screens made in CO and pay exorbitant shipping costs when he can get them made locally (like within a five mile radius of his house) and save the shipping cost?
I'd say you haven't shopped window screens lately.
Did you notice the hardware choices?

The old guy in the back of the hardware store who used to make frames for $X and set the screen material for $Y... well the one near me died about 15 years ago but he would still have had issues with the hardware the screens I need use. The local shops here who say they can do it want more than those folks in CO do.

YMMV.
---

My double hung windows came with a single sash worth of screens.
It's like they really didn't understand how a window works.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:14 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
I bought...for a different purpose....a package containing all you need for a DYI screen frame for just about $10 at WalMart.
The white finished metal is fairly sturdy, pkg contains corner braces,etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House