Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2011, 01:34 PM

57 posts, read 361,990 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here sound proofed a shared ceiling with an upstairs neighbor? If so, what did you use? Quiet Rock? Green Glue?

I'm looking to do this in my condo so that I don't have to listen to my upstairs neighbors footfall noises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 01:55 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
QuietRock by itself is not partticularly effective at blocking the kind of noise that "footfalls" generate. GreenGlue is even less effective by itself.

Depending on the type of construction that your condo has it may be all but impossible to make much reduction in footfall type noise even with a total gut of your unit.

Some of the best experience with sound proofing comes from contractors that have been building "media rooms". When they retrofit a "home theatre" with the kind specialized drywall and adhessive needed of resilient channels and acoustic insulation their aim is to keep sound from the A/V equipment isolated to the entertainment space.

Footfalls involve a multi-frequency percussive "snap" as well as low frequency vibration and often some reverberation / transmission through the structure itself. If your condo is not made of poured concrete or structural masonry it is almost impossible to add enough mass to counteract the force of occupants above you.

Now if you could carpet the floor of the unit above you that would eliminate a huge portion of the noise -- somehow I doubt you want to ask the neighbor if the want you buy them carpet...

Old 08-09-2011, 02:25 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Good post above. The primary way to reduce the loudness of footfalls is to stiffen the structure so it doesn't flex nor transmit energy into the structure. Adding sound insulation materials will not have much of an effect because of the frequency(ies) of the noise.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:45 PM

57 posts, read 361,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
If your condo is not made of poured concrete or structural masonry it is almost impossible to add enough mass to counteract the force of occupants above you.
Thanks for the tips!

There is a 6" concrete slab between me and my upstairs neighbor. Would that make a difference or do you think it would still be largely ineffective?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House