Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2011, 06:49 PM

2 posts, read 21,282 times

Advertisements

I have a lot of water coming out of a copper pipe on the side of my house. I can stop the flow by turning the red valve off next to the wall by my water heater. But then there is no hot water at all. I Mean no water flow at all. Cold water flows when I turn it on but not hot. Also, I have been turning the breaker off on the hot water heater this last month because the electric was about a hundred more than normal. The water still comes out, hot or cold, after about ten minutes with the breaker on and the red valve open. But again, if I don't turn the red valve off water is pouring out of the side of my house.

Thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 07:33 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
call a plumber.
a good one will have the new water heater you probably need with him when he shows up.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:09 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,538,403 times
Is the water coming out the side of the house hot/warm? If so, it 's likely your pressure relief valve has blown. Once they blow they about always leak water. You can find replacement valves at the box stores or a plumbing/hardware store. If it blows after replacement, then something is wrong with your water heater.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:44 PM

2 posts, read 21,282 times
Smile Outside pipe from house

Thank you for your reply,

I'm going with 'akck' first, and if all fails, with the last option from both of you.

Thanx akck and MrRational for a quick response to my problem.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:19 PM

1 posts, read 7,978 times
Hello, I have a similar problem. Tonight I heard running water behind the wall in my bathroom. I went outside and saw water running out the side drain on the house. It's warm/ hot water. What do I do? Can I do anything to ought to stop this? Is this also come kind of valve problem? Thanks in advance for your help and input.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:27 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
Most likely it's your water heater that is having an issue and you’ll have to close the (cold water) intake valve on the tank. There is a safety pressure relief valve that allows water to escape and prevents the tank from becoming over pressurized. If it’s an electric water heater you can turn it off at the power panel to prevent any additional heating of the water in the tank. If it’s a gas water heater, there should be a valve to turn off as well to prevent the heating of water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House