Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 01:20 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,593,603 times

Advertisements

Well, it's a question, but turned turned more into a rant.

I have been inside many new homes (I'm talking brand new), some even worth around 1 million, and what I have noticed is that people decide keep the entire interior flat white. Why?

Don't people know that the interior of the home is supposed to be PAINTED with color?! The builders only leave it flat white so you can paint it the color of your choice. Remember the model home you looked at with the custom themes? That's is the FINAL product.

My god, why pay 500k for a new home then you don't paint the interior or the inside of the garage?! It's boring, and it shows that you have no taste no matter how much furniture you try and stuff into the place.

People, if you're going to pay more then 200k for a home, HIRE a interior designer! You will be doing yourself a favor in the long run as color has been proven to effect moods and your sense of well being. You should FEEL something when you walk into your home and interact with the colors, how can that happen when the inside of your entire house is white? I don't get it? Are you all trying to recreate a hospital?

Ideas as to what your interior SHOULD look like:

http://thedecorologist.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/blue-wrapped-room-via-casasugar.jpg (broken link)

http://thedecorologist.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/brown-ceiling-via-browndesigninc.jpg (broken link)

http://thedecorologist.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/domino-painted-ceiling.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 02:58 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,940,981 times
Most hospitals use color as a mood elevator. Jails even use color to keep inmates calm. I think that most builders leave everthing white because color is a personal choice. Design and color and decor are personal so a builder cannot put color on the walls. Color has to come from the buyer. Even the models are painted, yes. The models are decorated and may or may not be to your taste and lifestyle.
I'm sure it's frustrating to buy a huge expensive house and have to spend more money to paint it. Probably most people know they will have to spend more money on paint and decorating. If they spent all thier money on the house..it stays white

Old 09-04-2011, 03:21 PM

878 posts, read 2,746,102 times
Let me be a little defensive. Many of us either cannot afford an interior decorator or have no concept of where to find one, how to use one or what one would cost. While most of us don't willfully want to leave our home flat we are simply naive as to how to improve it. So we do the things we know how to do. I admit I love the idea of color on the walls but am intimidated by how to achieve it. Okay that was me being far more honest than I ever am but felt compelled to reply.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:38 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,649,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
Well, it's a question, but turned turned more into a rant.

I have been inside many new homes (I'm talking brand new), some even worth around 1 million, and what I have noticed is that people decide keep the entire interior flat white. Why?

Don't people know that the interior of the home is supposed to be PAINTED with color?! The builders only leave it flat white so you can paint it the color of your choice. Remember the model home you looked at with the custom themes? That's is the FINAL product.

My god, why pay 500k for a new home then you don't paint the interior or the inside of the garage?! It's boring, and it shows that you have no taste no matter how much furniture you try and stuff into the place.

People, if you're going to pay more then 200k for a home, HIRE a interior designer! You will be doing yourself a favor in the long run as color has been proven to effect moods and your sense of well being. You should FEEL something when you walk into your home and interact with the colors, how can that happen when the inside of your entire house is white? I don't get it? Are you all trying to recreate a hospital?
I paid over 200K for my home, but I'm not hiring an interior designer. I did paint though.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:56 PM

399 posts, read 1,807,399 times
Though I admire your spirit and completely agree with your point, I also recognize that other people may have different tastes, goals or ways of spending their money. For example some people may be perfect content to leave walls white as their money is needed elsewhere. I have no doubt I or someone else could walk through your home and point to something and say, "My heavens, I can't believe they didn't spend more to blah, blah, whatever."

But yeah, my new walls won't be white for long.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:17 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,496,382 times
I don't get the all white house thing either. Just move to a sanatorium if you want that look. I don't think you need to hire an interior decorator to figure out what color to paint your house but it IS helpful. Around here you can usually get one to come for an hour or two consult for $50-100. It is WELL worth the money. Most will put that money toward anything you buy, even just paint, so you aren't out any money really by doing this. I did that for our last house, mainly to help with furniture placements, arranging/buying accessories, etc. It was very nice. We used pretty much the same colors here and everything we had was basically new so we reused everything so we didn't have a decorator come here.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:55 PM

9,344 posts, read 16,730,158 times
Neighbor spent lots of $$ painting 2600 sq ft. house, customized to their likes. Less than a year, got a divorce, couldn't sell the house with the customize colors so had it repained white. Everyone's tastes are different, some people actually like white or off white and many people cannot afford an interior designer.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:55 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,853,613 times
Getting an interior designer is a luxury that usually comes after the needs. For a lot of people, the list of needs never ends after getting the new house on top of dealing with day-to-day life. I'm not just talking about money, but time and effort. For someone who assumes everyone can just go get an interior designer, that's a little .....

Old 09-04-2011, 08:15 PM

20,696 posts, read 12,590,519 times
Some people actually like white or off-white.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:14 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,200,572 times
I see your point and never understood either why homeowners leave the builder white flat paint. The paint is very low grade, not enough coats are applied and pretty much the worse color in the flat paint family. Flat white gets dirty fast and unwashable. My neighborhood is around 15 yrs old. I have been in two of my neighbors homes and was shocked to see both still had the original flat white walls. Their homes looked older than mine due to the worn looking walls. Now I don't have anything against white per say and have seen some very cool modern and traditional spaces in white. Its the quality of the paint and finish is what matters IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House