Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 11:24 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,848,129 times

Advertisements

Builders paint flat white for one reason only; it is the cheapest paint job they can apply. With that said, I am in hundreds of houses a year, and a sizeable percentage do nothing interesting with the interiors. Sometimes it feels like I have been in the same house all week!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 09:30 AM

1,212 posts, read 4,914,340 times
I just looked through a few responses and didn't see my answer... but forgive me if it was mentioned further down the thread.

I have been in my house a little over 2 years now. All my walls are still flat white. I haven't had time to paint them in the last 5 months... however, until this past February, I was under warranty for the builder.
If there is any work that needs to be done, the builder was responsible for it. And if the walls remained flat white, the builder would repaint the area worked. However if you painted it yourself, you were responsible for your own painting.

Many new home owners are advised (like I was ) by the builder to leave the walls flat white.

You will be surprised how many times the builder was called out for nail pops etc that needed to be repaired. I was told that after the 2nd year, the house has completed it's "settling" period and the frequency of nail pops would decrease.

I am in the process of deciding what color to go with.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:37 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,157,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcam213 View Post
I just looked through a few responses and didn't see my answer... but forgive me if it was mentioned further down the thread.

I have been in my house a little over 2 years now. All my walls are still flat white. I haven't had time to paint them in the last 5 months... however, until this past February, I was under warranty for the builder.
If there is any work that needs to be done, the builder was responsible for it. And if the walls remained flat white, the builder would repaint the area worked. However if you painted it yourself, you were responsible for your own painting.

Many new home owners are advised (like I was ) by the builder to leave the walls flat white.

You will be surprised how many times the builder was called out for nail pops etc that needed to be repaired. I was told that after the 2nd year, the house has completed it's "settling" period and the frequency of nail pops would decrease.

This is true. I think the OP is talking about people that leave their homes the builder white for many years. Start a thread on what colors to paint your house, include pictures and talk about the decor you have. Lots of talented people on here willing to give ideas.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:21 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,346,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcam213 View Post

Even so, pay for the upgraded paint color from the start. They have to paint is A color, doesn't have to be white. Usually the upcharge is for MORE than one color.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:35 PM

819 posts, read 3,210,150 times
I hate white walls. Being a renter for years that was all we were allowed to have. I can't wait to paint my house

Old 09-05-2011, 04:39 PM

3,751 posts, read 12,415,570 times
Yup - our whole house is off-white. Thank you but we don't want or need an interior decorator. We get plenty of compliments on our home without one. We achieve color through our furnishings, window treatments and rugs. I find that using wall color limits decorating choices. Trends and fads in wall colors also come and go. Its less expensive and much more creative to change out accessories and only paint when needed.

Besides, the examples you provided look fussy and ostentatious to me. Not my style at all. I go more for classic clean lines. Its much more elegant.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:10 PM

675 posts, read 1,817,936 times
We have multi-color paint in our house, every room has different color, but I think it looks decent and nice

Old 09-06-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
This is true. I think the OP is talking about people that leave their homes the builder white for many years. Start a thread on what colors to paint your house, include pictures and talk about the decor you have. Lots of talented people on here willing to give ideas.

Thank you! I am so stumped and overwhelmed because I have so many rooms to paint.

I think I want to start with family room, since this is the area I spend most of my time in. I already have a color I want... but I am stumped with what color to do the trim.

So I think I will take your advice and start thread.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Even so, pay for the upgraded paint color from the start. They have to paint is A color, doesn't have to be white. Usually the upcharge is for MORE than one color.
I had options for variations of beige. The problem was if I wanted 2 color choices, the upcharge was something like $2000.

So I could have chosen Navajo White... which is an off white... or some other color that was a sand color... but if I wanted white trim it would be an extra $2000.

They would paint EVERYTHING one color without the upcharge. The trim, the doors, the ceiling.

I did not want everything a beige color. I thought $2000 just to change the paint gun for the trim, doors and ceiling was too much. Especially when I know I don't want all white, all beige or all sand color walls.

They did not have any other colors than white or beige. And they would not do one room this color and another room a different color.

So I decided flat white... that way if I wanted to keep trim and ceilings white, I would not have to repaint every ceiling and all the trim.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:59 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,096,736 times
Like others have said, it just might be a preference to have white walls. In my first house, the paint remained white. I was young, and as much as I would have loved color on my walls, I had other things to focus on at the time.

Fast foward a decade, and we finished building our current home a year ago. We decided that paint would be one of our upgrades. We mulled over it for a while because we couldn't wrap our heads around the cost just to upgrade paint, but we knew if we didn't have the builder do it, it would probably be years before we took care of it.

Different preferences, different situations....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House