Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 04:20 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,049,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I never have understood people who get in a snit because other people do EXACTLY what City-Data encourages them to do on the bottom of every open thread however old.

Exactly.

There are people who complain when an old thread is brought back up and then there are people who complain if someone starts a new thread discussing the same subject as an old thread.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 05:17 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
City-Data is encouraging a bad idea.

In your opinion. I don't have any problem with it - you never know when someone might come up with something new, and in any case, what harm does it do to you or the others who get in a snit about it?

Old 05-06-2019, 05:23 PM

14,488 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Just giving opinion... no snit from me.

Old 05-07-2019, 12:33 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
I have zero sympathy for idiots who sleep with their windows open and no blackout drapes installed either. You are INSIDE! To keep a quiet, cool, dark place for sleeping is the basics of getting proper quality sleep. If you want to leave yourself open to the outdoor elements, go for it, but you’re basically sleeping in a tent then like a savage and you’ll get whatever you get when it comes to light or sleep. No proper curtains should let in any amount of light, that’s why we call them blackout curtains. They’re necessary for a normal person to sleep.

This lady is nuts. I wouldn’t care at all about her comments, she needs to take control of her own life. Neighbors will sometimes do things you don’t like. Rather than complain in her case, you need to do something about it. I even installed Soundproof Windows in my house so it’s almost impossible to hear anything from outside with one regular dual-pane window and a second, much thicker soundproof dual-pane window behind it. It’s beautiful!

Old 05-07-2019, 01:03 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,529,770 times
I'm just grateful I'm not your neighbor. Something tells me if it were not this issue it would be something else annoying you.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:50 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I have zero sympathy for idiots who sleep with their windows open and no blackout drapes installed either. You are INSIDE! To keep a quiet, cool, dark place for sleeping is the basics of getting proper quality sleep. If you want to leave yourself open to the outdoor elements, go for it, but you’re basically sleeping in a tent then like a savage and you’ll get whatever you get when it comes to light or sleep. No proper curtains should let in any amount of light, that’s why we call them blackout curtains. They’re necessary for a normal person to sleep.

This lady is nuts. I wouldn’t care at all about her comments, she needs to take control of her own life. Neighbors will sometimes do things you don’t like. Rather than complain in her case, you need to do something about it. I even installed Soundproof Windows in my house so it’s almost impossible to hear anything from outside with one regular dual-pane window and a second, much thicker soundproof dual-pane window behind it. It’s beautiful!
I had no idea sleeping with a window, or many windows, open was against some law or means I am not "normal" and a savage.

I am one of those people who like whatever ambient temperature it is, no need for a cool, dark place - or even for total quiet. I love to hear the crickets and whipoorwhils at night and the frogs acroaking! It's music. Saves electricity running that AC to keep the room cool.

Guess I'm an abnormal savage. As for proper quality sleep, I've been sleeping this way since before there was such a thing as home air conditioning.

I like letting Mr. Sun wake me in the morning as the darkness transitions to daylight. It's a wonderful, gentle, and natural way to slip from a deep sleep into wakefulness.

Old 05-08-2019, 12:42 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I had no idea sleeping with a window, or many windows, open was against some law or means I am not "normal" and a savage.

I am one of those people who like whatever ambient temperature it is, no need for a cool, dark place - or even for total quiet. I love to hear the crickets and whipoorwhils at night and the frogs acroaking! It's music. Saves electricity running that AC to keep the room cool.

Guess I'm an abnormal savage. As for proper quality sleep, I've been sleeping this way since before there was such a thing as home air conditioning.

I like letting Mr. Sun wake me in the morning as the darkness transitions to daylight. It's a wonderful, gentle, and natural way to slip from a deep sleep into wakefulness.

This right here. Fresh air, with screens to keep out any insects, is perfectly healthy and in fact MORE healthy than closed up recycled air. That there are people who are afraid of the dark and under the delusion that light makes them safer does not change that. And lights all the time have been shown to have deleterious health effects if that is your true motivation.

Old 05-08-2019, 12:48 PM

19,769 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post

Well savage 2 here. I'd go bat guano crazy if I couldn't have a window open at night. Listening to the yotes howl, the wind through the pines... The cool breeze.

We only keep the windows fully closed in the harshest of weather. I couldn't STAND to be separated from the natural world in a sound proof / light proof environment! That sounds like a mental institution or prison to me!

Old 05-08-2019, 09:04 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Another dark-nights lover here. I want to see the night sky and the stars, not lose my night vision from lights kept on all the time. This includes both viewing from a window inside my home and viewing while standing outdoors.

Covering windows with blackout curtains does not solve the problem of artificial light blasting the outdoor area of a home.

We have MD lights. They come on only when triggered and go off after a short time. Unlike constant lighting, they announce that someone or something definitely is near.

I also enjoy hearing the changing natural soundscape of the seasons. The first lone cricket braved a song early one evening last week. Late in fall last year, the katydids gradually dropped out of the nightly “jingle bells chorus” I had come to love. Where I used to live, aspen leaves’ soft rustling soothed me to sleep. Windows had to be open to hear that.

I don’t intend to ever live in a densely populated area again. If that happens, it will occur only when I am so decrepit that my mind and my physical senses don’t know what is around anyway.

Last edited by pikabike; 05-08-2019 at 09:16 PM..

Old 05-08-2019, 10:03 PM

14,488 posts, read 12,114,400 times
I'm a savage who likes the windows and the blinds/curtains open, when possible, but I also love my big mercury vapor light that lights up our whole compound so I can look out at night. Luckily, I have no visible neighbors to be bothered by it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House