Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 08:00 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,125,984 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what's your experience like. There's a home show near my town this weekend and I'll like to attend and possibly get some stuff for my new kitchen/bath remodel. Just not sure if it's the smartest thing to do!

I do have prices in mind for what I'm willing to pay....

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 08:58 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Home shows used to be great. So many vendors all selling similar products so the consumer can compare many brands all under one roof. Unfortunately during these depression times home shows have gone down hill. Way way down hill. In fact they are more commonly called Spa Shows. This nick name came about because about 80% of the vendors are all spa and whirlpool vendors. If your shopping for a backyard spa you are in luck since any of them would trade their first born to sell you one. Competition is fierce. But I fail to see why these spas are so popular.

Are you talking the one in Edison? That's a big one but you will find maybe one kitchen dealer there among all the spa vendors. Lots of home made craft vendors too. People go more for a day out then to shop for home improvement things.

Don't even bother with those small shows held in the Armorys as they are nothing more then craft shows.

Have fun !!

Old 09-30-2011, 10:52 AM

675 posts, read 1,816,711 times
I went to a home show before, entered some sweepstakes ... and after a couple weeks, I received a lot of phone calls try to sell me products ...

Old 09-30-2011, 01:10 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBy View Post
I went to a home show before, entered some sweepstakes ... and after a couple weeks, I received a lot of phone calls try to sell me products ...
You learned the hard way huh? DO NOT EVER EVER EVER sign up for those brand new car raffles. There are no winners but your name is sold to SPAMMERS and yes after you fill out that junk you will receive thousands of calls at home trying to sell you everything from penis enlargement to vacations. What a scam.

People do not fall for that raffle scam at any home show or any show

Old 09-30-2011, 02:58 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,125,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Home shows used to be great. So many vendors all selling similar products so the consumer can compare many brands all under one roof. Unfortunately during these depression times home shows have gone down hill. Way way down hill. In fact they are more commonly called Spa Shows. This nick name came about because about 80% of the vendors are all spa and whirlpool vendors. If your shopping for a backyard spa you are in luck since any of them would trade their first born to sell you one. Competition is fierce. But I fail to see why these spas are so popular.

Are you talking the one in Edison? That's a big one but you will find maybe one kitchen dealer there among all the spa vendors. Lots of home made craft vendors too. People go more for a day out then to shop for home improvement things.

Don't even bother with those small shows held in the Armorys as they are nothing more then craft shows.

Have fun !!
Not the show in Edison, but the one in Secaucus, the Meadowlands. I don't know if its worth the trip because there's no mention of vendors who'll be there. I do know that there's at least one vendor that I'm interested in that will be there though - All Granite and Marble.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:06 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Down my way, the homes shows still are a good way to shop vendors. Last year we bought new windows after comparing about 20 vendors at a home show. We also got our granite the same way, but that was about 5 years ago.

As far as buying items at a home show, we once bought a window cleaning device we saw at a demonstration. It's not quite as great as we'd hoped (although it's not a complete piece of junk). I'd give it a B+. I'm not sure if I would have gotten anything better by going to Target.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
You learned the hard way huh? DO NOT EVER EVER EVER sign up for those brand new car raffles. There are no winners but your name is sold to SPAMMERS and yes after you fill out that junk you will receive thousands of calls at home trying to sell you everything from penis enlargement to vacations. What a scam.

Now I learned that, hic

Old 09-30-2011, 06:08 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Yes we've bought from dealers at home shows. Though we did our homework before so we were armed with some knowledge of the products and the general pricing. The few we did deal with were offering discounts that normally were not available outside the show. And yes we checked prices before and after with competitors.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:59 AM

Yeah, I think home show is good if you're about to need to remodel, fix, replace or build something new for your house, and then you have idea what to do, look around for comparison for pricing, quality, services etc ...
At that time, we had nothing to do with the house, just took a trip and enjoy the show.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:16 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,783,097 times
Quote:

The same is true for those raffles in Malls, like a car or John Deere tractor giveaway. If you bother to read the fine print of the "sweepstakes" entry form you see your signing away your rights and allowing telemarketers to call you to try and sell you crap. This even voids the "Do Not Call" registry list if your on it already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House