Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2011, 10:12 AM

93 posts, read 359,666 times

Advertisements

I'm redoing the master bath in my house by myself. The one thing I'd like to have a contractor do is lay a new shower pan. I can lay all of the tile but the pan is way to critical that I'd rather leave it to the professionals?

Is this the job of a plumber? Any clue on average cost to re-do a pan?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 10:23 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,912,049 times
Prices will vary far too much across the country for you to get a price from a forum but for reference, around here, with you providing the parts, labor would be about $250.00. Unless you tile for a living, make sure to research the backer materials you're using. Since I've retired yet again and gotten back into the remodeling business,seems like all I do is replace showers where the Hardibacker moisture barrier has failed and structural damage has occurred. Note, the Hardi didn't fail, the moisture barrier did. There has to be a moisture barrier behind the Hardi or it's worthless. We've been using Georgia Pacifics DenShield which is a fiberglas laminated drywall. We then float it like any drywall and then give it 2 coats of RedGard which is a water proofing membrane. We then use a water resistant adhesive to install the tile. It's kinda over kill but I warrant my work and I don't like doing things twice especially outa my pocket.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:35 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkster View Post
The one thing I'd like to have a contractor do is lay a new shower pan.
Is this the job of a plumber?
The better ones; yeah.
Some reading <-- (that you should do today)

Quote:
Any clue on average cost to re-do a pan?
A small fortune.
The good news though is that all the other plumbing work you need to have done right
will then seem like a drop in the bucket.

hth

Old 10-30-2011, 11:48 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
In my neck of the woods this would not be something that a licensed plumber would be expected to do. It would more likely be done by a tile setter, concrete finisher or even a "one stop" remodeling contractor that specializes in bathrooms. These are different than some generic "tile installer" as typically the guys that build up a mortar bed for a shower has experience in higher-end residential jobs as well as things like locker rooms for high schools and commercial health clubs, but those type firms do not like to take on "piecemeal" work. For even big jobs many professionals have come to appreciate the superiority of the Schluter-KERDI system. Shower Systems - Schluter-Systems

I think it would be a mistake to just start calling plumbers as even if you found some one willing to do just the pan you'd have a hard time knowing that they are skilled / experienced in doing this well. Further, if you are making alterations to EITHER the drainlines (which I cannot imagine you won't have to do given the way shower pans are set-up...) OR the supply lines (which you are a little more likely to be able to get away with...) then you need a PERMIT and inspections of the the plumber risks their license...

If you can get a referral from friend / coworker / neighbor that had a good experience with similar kind of project that would be a far better way to go. Of course if you contact even a skilled small-project type "handiman" it is very likely that they would be willing to do not just the pan but the whole project and if the price is right I suspect they can do this much better / faster than any DIYer...

Old 10-31-2011, 08:16 PM

235 posts, read 1,578,002 times
Where I live a permit is a must for shower pan replacements. Costs vary pending not only the cost of the pan install but also the drain, most usually have to be replaced. Just an FYI, it is best left to a local plumber that is licensed and insured to do the install, last thing you want is to redo the shower due to a leaking pan..

Old 10-31-2012, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 5,847 times
Thanks for posting this. I am about to start a bathroom remodel, and I was wondering the same thing! I think I am going to end up hiring a [mod] need at least 10 other posts to make specific recommendations[/mod] to do the shower pan because I don't want to do something wrong and have it end up costing me a few thousand dollars to fix. Do you have any tips for hiring a plumber?

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 10-31-2012 at 12:34 PM..

Old 10-31-2012, 10:45 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckChipner View Post
Thanks for posting this. I am about to start a bathroom remodel, and I was wondering the same thing! I think I am going to end up hiring a Moderator cut: need at leas 10 pother posts to make specific recommendations to do the shower pan because I don't want to do something wrong and have it end up costing me a few thousand dollars to fix. Do you have any tips for hiring a plumber?
Yes. Line up 3-4 back up options for when they do not show up. Cut them no slack. If they fail to show, move on to the next guy.

Call their references and actuallytlak with them. Ask detaileled questions and see if you find odd lapses or conflicts. Some of them give you their brother in law as a reference.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 10-31-2012 at 12:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House