Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 04:50 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times

Advertisements

My folks still get mail for the previous owner 42 years later...

Mail is an issue with rentals... not uncommon to receive mail for multiple past tenants... forwarding orders expire... or so I have been told.

I use a Markalot Marker and cross out the address and bar code and write Addressee Unknown.

Sometimes I had bundles... local postman was getting annoyed with me so I just started gathering at the end of the week and dropping all of them in the corner mail box back in the day...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 06:00 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
My wife would do the return to sender...no such name here...like a Elvis song.

Me, I know what I would do....trash their mail....if they did not forward it....it is their issue...not mine and not worth my time to even think about it.

Now watch those that get on me...but...it is illegal...not right...yada yada, etc. but they are taking my time and they do not have my permission to do so.....

I'd toss it right in the trash. Actually, we do exactly that. My office is in a renovated townhouse that several irresponsible folks lived in over the years and their mail goes straight to the shredder along with all other junk mail. Don't even look at it. It the Lottery Commission sends them a check, too bad. Its shredded.

Old 11-24-2011, 04:29 AM

661 posts, read 2,896,769 times
I spent the last two years trying to straighten out a problem like this. The weird thing is, no one lived here before us - this is a brand new house. I tried talking to the post office, talking to the mail carrier, I've marked the envelopes and put them back in the mailbox more times than I can count.

Since the mail is all from medical insurance carriers for this person, I've called them and they've been happy to make note of the fact that they're sending paperwork to the wrong address. And the next month it starts all over.

I have no idea who this person is or where they live. After two years, I just throw it out.

Old 11-24-2011, 06:44 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkey View Post
I spent the last two years trying to straighten out a problem like this. The weird thing is, no one lived here before us - this is a brand new house. I tried talking to the post office, talking to the mail carrier, I've marked the envelopes and put them back in the mailbox more times than I can count.

Since the mail is all from medical insurance carriers for this person, I've called them and they've been happy to make note of the fact that they're sending paperwork to the wrong address. And the next month it starts all over.

I have no idea who this person is or where they live. After two years, I just throw it out.
I would seriously consider waiting by the mail box around the time and date that the forms arrive each month and have a face-to-face with your mail carrier. I would also post a waterproofed note on the front of my mail box listing the names of only those people who receive mail at your house.

Old 11-24-2011, 01:46 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Failed to mention that it is not uncommon for people to use made-up addresses or addresses they know are vacant homes.

In my area... the Hospital Collection Department encounter a very high number or address issues... some are legit with most patently fraudulent.

Old 11-24-2011, 03:36 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I would seriously consider waiting by the mail box around the time and date that the forms arrive each month and have a face-to-face with your mail carrier. I would also post a waterproofed note on the front of my mail box listing the names of only those people who receive mail at your house.
As I see my mail carrier's job, it is to deliver to my home what is addressed to my home regardless of whom addressed to even if Occupant or jesus.

A face-to-face with them is not warranted. They are simply doing their job.

Old 11-24-2011, 04:33 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
As I see my mail carrier's job, it is to deliver to my home what is addressed to my home regardless of whom addressed to even if Occupant or jesus.

A face-to-face with them is not warranted. They are simply doing their job.
No this is an incorrect assumption. The post office wants the mail they deliver to be delivered to the people that live at the particular address they are delivering to. They do not want to deliver mail to an address where that person doesn't live. You simply do not understand the goal of the post office.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:58 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,955,448 times
i had hoped they would get the message when I sent them the mail, but obviously not, I'll write all over it quoting Elvis....

Return to sender, addressee unknown....

Old 11-25-2011, 11:27 AM

61 posts, read 387,866 times
I had the same problem for awhile... until I got one of these: NIC Law Enforcement Supply - Addressee Unknown Return to Sender Rubber Stamp Q89

Old 11-25-2011, 03:44 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,641,468 times
I've been in my home for six years and still get mail for the past owner. I've tried every trick mentioned, nothing works. I have crossed out the address, written Not at this address, and put it back in the box. A few days later, the same letter with the writing on it, is back in my box. The mailman doesn't look, doesn't care. They are robots..!
I even started opening the letters and calling the companies to tell them those people moved.. That usually works..
Good luck, you will need it..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House