Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 12:17 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post

But unlike you... I would prefer that real mansion w/ acres of land over the "pho" McMansion in a development.

At least without the HOA payments... it can afford the extra energy bill if I choose to clean the house myself or hire the maid to clean while working extra to foot the energy bills.

Real options comes with the real, not with the "pho".
Most people would prefer the real mansion on acres of land to the McMansion on a small lot in a development. However, depending on how much money you have to spend the McMansion may be the norm in your price range. In my area $500K is not going to get you a real mansion on acres of land but a McMansion with a contemporary floor plan on a small lot in a nice neighborhood probably is right in the middle of your budget. Lets not forget that McMansions do not cost what real mansions cost so for most people it isn't an "either or" proposition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 12:22 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,685,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
well you might like this one . . . .

see my pic attachments.

this one is still under construction; 25,000 sq ft. sitting on 16,000 acres.

among the many cool features of the property, my favorite is the helicopter pad. this isn't the customers primary residence.
^^^No thank you... good it is not the customer's primary location, won't be mine choice either.

The window looking out to the buildings isn't too scenic = baren.
Neither does those windows looking out towards the flatlands (where are the hills besides the slops of the "golf" is it golf greens?") too appealing.
Besides the lack of "shade"...
the location looks a bit too "hot" for my cuppa tea = not my ideal.

Home style is not right as well...
certainly no "million dollar room" homes as shown in HGTV = if you let me dream... I might as well go all the way, above is simply not enough then = why no McMansions for me, same theory.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
certainly no "million dollar room" homes as shown in HGTV.
Right but people by McMansions because they can't afford real mansions. Most people would opt for a real mansion over a McMansion but wind up with the best compromise they can afford.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:27 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,685,123 times
^^^good for people who wants to do whatever they want w/ their money.
But again, my money, my buying choice & freedom = NO Mcmansions for me.
You can choose whatever you want = not my problem.

P.S. to get it clear... before this post, the comments is not meant for you... you just happen "between".

Old 04-15-2012, 01:23 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,241,620 times
Quote:
^^^No thank you... good it is not the customer's primary location, won't be mine choice either.

i think the fact this this is a $500M (that's not a type) property pretty much guarantees that it wouldn't be your choice either.

those aren't pics of a "McMansion"; its the real deal.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
i think the fact this this is a $500M (that's not a type) property pretty much guarantees that it wouldn't be your choice either.

those aren't pics of a "McMansion"; its the real deal.
Which is why this whole conversation is so absolutely ridiculous. Of course, if I could afford a $500M property I would build a REAL mansion. However, at $500K a McMansion will be the predominant type of real estate available (in some areas).

Old 04-15-2012, 03:40 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,494,989 times
I'm still amused by what people pay for houses in other parts of the country. I own TWO houses, and together, they are worth about $60k. But that's off-topic.

What one prefers in a home is very subjective. But I would rather have high-quality construction and desirable (at least to me) location, with a smaller footprint, than lower quality construction in a less-desirable location, with large rooms. But, it seems like some prefer the big rooms.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:16 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,241,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post

What one prefers in a home is very subjective. But I would rather have high-quality construction and desirable (at least to me) location, with a smaller footprint, than lower quality construction in a less-desirable location, with large rooms. But, it seems like some prefer the big rooms.

i'm in agreement with you.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:07 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I'm still amused by what people pay for houses in other parts of the country. I own TWO houses, and together, they are worth about $60k. But that's off-topic.

Agreed.

Our house is not worth near what the land it sets on is worth.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:28 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Here in Brooklyn NY, an old section called "Red Hook", they have old crappy row houses, no really, crappy.......but because it is starting to gentrify or something to that nature, the homes are now starting at 1M, go figure.

for 1M, I bet i could get a huge house in georgia or texas, not that i would want to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House