Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2012, 07:10 PM

681 posts, read 2,799,675 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm planning on installing a flat panel tv above my gas fireplace.

Currently there are no electrical/audio/video outlets above the fireplace so I'm going to go ahead and install one myself similar to the one shown here:

Since I am penetrating the wall above the fireplace, do I need to add any sort of fireproofing to the back of the box?

I've asked 3 professionals: Two audio/vidio installers who have installed many TVs above fireplaces (1 said yes, 1 said no) and a fireplace technician who said nothing is required.

So I guess I'm looking for a consensus on this forum and what thoughts you guys have on the issue. If you've done a similar installation, did you install any additional fireproofing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 07:24 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mricu View Post
Since I am penetrating the wall above the fireplace, do I need to add any sort of fireproofing to the back of the box?
I'd say nothing is required.
Why? Because that drywall is only a cosmetic cover for the real (sheet metal) flue.

But it still wouldn't hurt to throw an extra $5 worth of material at the project to reduce drafts.

hth

Old 01-03-2012, 08:07 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mricu View Post
Hi all,

I'm planning on installing a flat panel tv above my gas fireplace.

Currently there are no electrical/audio/video outlets above the fireplace so I'm going to go ahead and install one myself similar to the one shown here:

I've asked 3 professionals: Two audio/vidio installers who have installed many TVs above fireplaces (1 said yes, 1 said no) and a fireplace technician who said nothing is required.

So I guess I'm looking for a consensus on this forum and what thoughts you guys have on the issue. If you've done a similar installation, did you install any additional fireproofing?
Is it a ventless gas fireplace? If so nothing to do with it is behind the wall.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:56 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Modern home building uses a masonary or sheetmetal flue to carry chimmney gases. The drywall is just cosmetic. As long as you can snake in the proper electrical feed and not come in contact with the flue you need not do anything special...

(as to whether it looks good / is functional to mount a TV above a fireplace, that is a whole other question...)

Old 01-03-2012, 01:24 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
The question:
Masonry or manufactured unit?
As a general rule masonry fireplaces usually have a brick hearth, surround, and flue box- but not always. Sometimes the flue box is built of block with 1X flat to attach drywall.
Manufactured units use double wall flue pipe- generally they are considered Zero clearance units or require as little 2-3" from combustibles.
This first pic is a modern version of a masonry fireplace (Isokern type)

This second pic is a manufactured unit roughed-in-

As you can see from this pic- routing wire/cables wouldn't be a problem, just watch for your clearances.
Here's a diagram of an old site built type brick fireplace:

And as chet mentioned the pros/cons of mounting above a f/pl have been covered- just do a search.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:06 PM

681 posts, read 2,799,675 times
Thanks for the advice ... it's definately the manufactured unit with the cylindrical metallic flue pipe. We don't really use the fireplace other than for ambienace once or twice a year when we have company over so not too worried about the thermal effects.

I just want to cover myself incase I sell the place and an inspector points something out about fireproofing and I need to do a fix.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:43 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,344,442 times
I don't think you need anything special so long as you follow the set back requirements for combustables as noted in the manual. this shouldn't normally be an issue for electrical boxes since they are high up, but figured i'd mention it.

same thing with wood mantles, there is a requirement noted in the manual as to how close the wood can be to the firebox.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:39 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
I am in the process of doing the opposite.

We have a builtin ventless gas fireplace in the corner of the great room. Above the fireplace is an alcove for 44-46in wide TV. Wife and I agreed the TV was at an uncomfortable viewing height (to high) and we rarley use the fireplace. I bought a TV Console 24in high, 48in wide, and 16in deep to put in front of the fireplace (like in block the fireplace) then set the TV on. The unit also has shelves for device boxes, cabinets (with doors) on the sides and a pull out draw in the miiddle bottom.

The TV alcove is 46in wide and 40in high. We need to block it as our two cats will want to jump up there (on to the TV Console first to get there) and investigate.

We have though of artifical plant(s), louvered doors, mirror, painting, etc. I expect the top of the TV will be higher then the bottom edge of the opening thus the bottom of a mirror or painting would be below the top of the TV.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Old 01-07-2012, 10:51 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Why not call the city building inspector's office and find out the legal requirements. They can tell you over the phone. Then whenever you sell you're covered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House