Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 05:50 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,315,517 times

Advertisements

I have a few:

Kitchen - drawer has scissors, oft-used tools, tape, twist-ties, flashlight, etc.

Bedroom - one of my dresser drawers is my "tech" drawer. I imagine it's mostly junk, but I haven't gotten rid of it yet.

Bathroom - one of the drawers of my vanity has the flotsam-and-jetsam of my beauty stuff (extra toothbrushes, travel-sized shampoos/conditioners, extra floss, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 08:00 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Quite right. And its place is the junk drawer.

What? I should have one entire drawer just for the scissors, another for the tape, another for the screwdriver, another for the matches, another for ... Well, you get my drift. I'd wind up with a house of 45,000 square feet if every item was forbidden to share a drawer with a dissimilar item.

The screwdriver is a tool and should go into the toolbox. Scissors and tape should go into the desk drawer that holds scissors, tape, pens and pencils. Matches go into into a tin in the cabinet that holds candles. That same cabinet has a shelf for flashlights and spare batteries.

That is how I avoid having a junk drawer in my home. I find it easier to find a screwdriver in the toolbox rather than in a junk drawer, which is a bonus.

I realize that is just me, and some people do like to keep junk drawers. But I was answering the OP's question: Do you have a junk drawer in your home.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:02 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
I am a great believe in "a place for everything, and everything in its place".

I do have a drawer in the kitchen for miscellaneous stuff, but only certain specific miscellaneous stuff that doesn't logically seem to go anywhere else! Tape, twist ties, kitchen scissors, string, my gardening gloves and hand gardening tools, random keys, extra coax cable for the cable TVs, and so on, go there.

Rubber bands, thumb tacks, and paper clips have a specific spot in a desk drawer, so they don't go in that drawer in the kitchen. Loose change goes in my wallet or in the loose change jar. Pens mostly go in a desk drawer, but a few go in a cup that holds pens on an occasional table by the phone. Hair brushes and hair thingies go in the bathroom. Tools (and nails and screws) go in the tool drawer in the kitchen.

I have a separate small kitchen drawer for flashlights, matches, and candles.
Oh my - - I didn't mean to stir up such a hornet's nest with the above description of what is in my junk drawer! That'll teach me. I am so shocked and sorry to all for what ensued while I was away from the board.

To be clearer, my kitchen scissors are the scissors in my kitchen. I do not prepare food with scissors, nor do I prepare food with my gardening hand tools, nor with scotch tape, string, random keys, or extra coax cable. Yes, I re-use twist ties that I get from packaging of non-food items like electronics, but I neither save twist ties from kitchen/food items, nor re-use twist ties on kitchen/food items (and don't even recall seeing any on food packaging for over a decade). This drawer is at the far end of my kitchen, by my tool drawer and not near anywhere where I might be preparing food; it has nothing to do with food preparation. Again, so sorry for the misunderstanding.

Last edited by NOLA2SGF; 01-15-2012 at 09:32 PM..

Old 01-15-2012, 09:04 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
I have a few:
Bathroom - one of the drawers of my vanity has the flotsam-and-jetsam of my beauty stuff (extra toothbrushes, travel-sized shampoos/conditioners, extra floss, etc.)
I wish I had a drawer in my bathroom vanity <sigh>.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:23 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,650,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
The screwdriver is a tool and should go into the toolbox. Scissors and tape should go into the desk drawer that holds scissors, tape, pens and pencils. Matches go into into a tin in the cabinet that holds candles. That same cabinet has a shelf for flashlights and spare batteries.

That is how I avoid having a junk drawer in my home. I find it easier to find a screwdriver in the toolbox rather than in a junk drawer, which is a bonus.

I realize that is just me, and some people do like to keep junk drawers. But I was answering the OP's question: Do you have a junk drawer in your home.
I specifically keep "detour tools" in our junk drawer. Crappy set of pliers, and 2 screwdrivers, and a measuring tape.

I do that to keep the "riff raff" away from my locked tool box.

Come home from work one day and see my father in law usiing my snap on flathead screwdriver as a prybar on a crappy $100 fouton.

In my tool box I have 2 sets of prybars, couple crow bars, and one drawar, that no lie... has about 60 various stanley, craftsmen, kobalt whatever cheaper brand tools I keep around for whatever job. I have a section of that drawar of different screwdrivers I specificlaly use for prying things.

And he uses my ~$40 per screwdriver as a prybar.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:57 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
Growing up my mother always had a "junk drawer" in all of our kitchens. Scissors, 1000 pens, coupons, rubber bands, sunglasses, flashlights, random keys -- you name it.

We too have a junk drawer that, despite my best efforts to purge it every 3-4 months -- always fills up with random stuff that has no better home but seems important and/or useful enough to keep around. I have organizers/separators in it but it doesn't help.

That got me thinking... do others have this type of drawer in their homes? If not, how are these uber-organizers effectively storing this crap?

What say you on this topic?
pick a spot, any spot, in the home. preferably wherever you do most of your office type work. neatly store scissors and a few pens there. don't accumulate pens. what do you even need rubber bands for? coupons? put coupons in a filing cabinet with folders for each 'topic' so you actually know what you have. flashlights - i own the LED nightlights that plug into the wall and serve as a flashlight if the power goes out. random keys? if they have no purpose, get rid of them.

i am working through a lot of this junk myself. my wife had tons of pens when we moved in together. i simply won't buy any more pens, and use these all up and toss them. put them in a little cup (buy a mesh pen storage container at target or container store).

i'm getting rid of all clutter in my house this year. going to go into 2013 clutter free!

Old 01-19-2012, 10:37 AM

23 posts, read 56,463 times
heh, we had a "junk drawer" in the kitchen growing up. We also had a "junk drawer knife" which was this rusty 14 in knife with a broken tip that was the all purpose cutter for everything in the house.

I have a "junk drawer" right now in my desk, but I don't really think if it as a "junk" drawer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House